Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • West Highland way advise (logistics content )
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

So im looking for a little logistical advice, a couple of us are planning the West Highland way route in April/May. Were thinking doing it over 3 days, the first including the travelling to Glasgow from Manchester.

The problem im faced with is do I drive to Glasgow and try and source secure parking for the return leg, or sort a return train fair meaning a load of faffing with transfers. The real problem I can see if the train from Fort William is sometime re routed with a bus, And I dare say its not Thule fitted 🙂

Just looking for advise from anyone whos done this?

Cheers

scotroutes

You’re surely going to be on the FW-Glasgow train regardless?

On occasions the rail service is disrupted and you’ve booked bikes on, Scotrail will normally stick a van to transport them. It’s a rare thing though. Not sure I’d worry about fitting that into my plans.

Personally, I hate riding to catch a return train. I’d rather do the train journey at the beginning and ride back to the car/van. I appreciate this would be more hassle for you given the distance though.

tomd
    Free Member

What do you mean by “source secure parking for the return leg”?

You could leave your car in Milngavie at the start, ride to Fort William and get the train back. You can book the bikes on the train if you wish. It’s pretty simple.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Tomd Secure parking was ment for leaving the car in Milngavie and return leg ment basicly collecting the bugger 😉
    Ideally wanting some form of secure parking in Milngavie so its still there when I come to collect it 4 days later. I think a call to Scotrail to book the train and a Google search for parking is in order.

I dare say its got to be worth a run up Loch Lomound could be added in to spice up the trip.

mashr

I think you’re getting overly concerned about the mean streets of Milngavie. I’d just leave my car at Milngavie station and crack on

I dare say its got to be worth a run up Loch Lomound could be added in to spice up the trip.

I’m not sure what this means – Ben Lomond?

tomd
    Free Member

Not sure you’re going have much luck finding “secure parking” in Milngavie. The station car park is free and you could leave it countless other places around the village centre or surrounding residential streetss. Milngavie is basically an upmarket suburban village type thing, it’s not exactly like leaving your car in the hood.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

You seem very precious about your car. Why can’t you just leave it on a Milngavie street for a few days?

jamesmio
    Free Member

Presuming it’s because he’s from Manchester and used to stuff going walkies.

It’ll be absolutely fine parked up in or around Milngavie for a few days, they’re a bit less sticky fingers round there than their Mancunian brethren.

😉

(I’m originally from Liverpool, it took a long time to get used to the different way of life up here)

stevedoc
    Free Member

No offence intended as ive never been that part of the world and just being over cautious. And im more offended by the premise im from That awful city ! (And yes I ment Ben Lomound )

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘West Highland way advise (logistics content )’ is closed to new replies.