Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • We're not THAT doomed! (Daily Wail content)
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Now I like a good doom, but the risk of the UK being riven by an earthquake?… Nah, small ones yes, but not a megathrust.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2393212/Perfect-Storms-TV-shows-images-Britain-wrecked-natural-disasters.html

mashiehood
    Free Member

i have a new found respect for this website – well done for not allowing direct links to the daily wail!

bruneep

No Daily Mail

I’m sorry but we don’t allow direct links to the Daily Mail on our website as we find it an abhorrent publication.

For an explanation of why this is we can’t think of a better illustration than Stephen Fry’s personal account of his dealings with this publication here. We would encourage you to read this before continuing on to the Daily Mail website.

If you still want to visit the Daily Mail website your can use this link:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2393212/Perfect-Storms-TV-shows-images-Britain-wrecked-natural-disasters.html

The above link has a nofollow attribute applied.

Brilliant!

Jamie
    Free Member

I swear 50% of the Daily Mail circulation, both online and physical *uhhhh* release, are by people who read it to get outraged/point and stare.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I didn’t realise, but Chapeau Singletrack! A bit like those parts of the internet you’re *not* supposed to view; you can see them, but you have to work really hard to do so…

zippykona

I shall definitely renew my subscription. Well done.

scratch
    Free Member

Oh, that’s first class….

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Nice one chaps!

dannybgoode

I rarely actually make use of my premier subscription (I don’t download the mag very often for eg) but for that, I’m keeping it going ad infinitum.

Cheers

Danny B

toppers3933
    Free Member

Nice work singletrack. Like it.

I clicked through to have a look what the article was. Pure genius. ‘More than one in five Britons live in fear of losing everything in a natural disaster’. So we’ve mocked up some really crap pictures for all of those readers who are hard of imagination. ‘WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!’

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Best thing STW have done for a long time.

Thumbs up.

scotroutes

I’m not a Daily Mail fan but I’m not a fan of this sort of indirect censorship either. I can’t help but feel a line has been crossed.

Pigface
    Free Member

Good work chaps but be prepared for a backlash

I worked for Richard Desmond, oh the stories I could tell, do you want to know why he has never sued Private Eye, because its all true and so much worse.

dannybgoode

It is not censorship – they allow you to access the article but with a statement explaining why, morally speaking, they object to direct linking.

scotroutes

That’s why I used the word “indirect”. What’s next, no linking to other forums, political parties, manufacturers of 26″ wheels?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Hmmmm, not sure I need to know what STW stance is on The Daily Mail to be honest nor do I need protecting from it. As an adult I can make my own mind up.

scotroutes

Ah – you can all relax, this one still works

Mark

I agree. As adults we don’t want to be part of the DMs traffic sources. The links are there for anyone who wants to continue on to the DM.

swiss01
    Free Member

nope, i’m all for it. the daily mail is a bastion of racism, homophobia and misogynism, the readers and makers of enforce a far more insidious form of censorship than a ‘say what you like but we don’t need to listening to it here’ approach.

well done singletrack I say

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Is this just a bit of a laugh or really a kind of indirect censorship. Funny or slightly silly depending on the answer IMO.

Scotroutes +1

X-post with Marks answer, so……..

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s for your own good everyone.
    The Mail has an article explaining how direct-link URLs cause cancer.

piemonster

That’s why I used the word “indirect”. What’s next, no linking to other forums, political parties, manufacturers of 26″ wheels?

I was with you until that 26er filth

AdamW
    Free Member

Excellent stuff.

For those who really like the Daily Hate then the link is there to copy and paste if you want. Or click through.

And if you really get upset with it you can start your own bike forum I guess and allow it there (STW’s forum, STW’s rules).

Then I’ve got kittenblock so can’t access Daily Hate/Express anyway.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Will someone please explain the nofollow bit to this numpty?

grum
    Free Member

I detest the Daily Mail but I’m not sure about this either.

allthegear
    Free Member

Thank you for the stance you have taken to highlight the nature of the Daily Mail.

Rachel

piemonster

EDIT, ignore me. Reading failure

Markie
    Free Member

It’s political correctness gone mad! 😀

A decision I disagree with, FWIW.

hatter

Fair and proportionate I feel, it doesn’t prevent the reader from clicking onwards, it just calmly states STW’s position on the matter and leaves it up to you.

I also don’t feel the BNP comparison is entirely fair, it’s not like people are regularly posting links for BNP press releases on here whereas the Daily Mail’s current online business model is producing the kind of outrageous ‘linkbait’ which crops up on here all the time.

Now if only I could install the tea and kittens blocker on my Nan’s eyes. *sigh*

sbob
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member

It’s for your own good everyone.
    The Mail has an article explaining how direct-link URLs cause cancer.

Sbob approves of this post. 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sorry 😀

martinhutch

That one made me laugh Ian – complete hatchet job on the girls, then sympathetic piece below about what the father must be going through. DM is so far gone it probably can’t even understand the irony.

downgrade
    Free Member

Great move by STW, well done.

redsox
    Free Member

I’m not a Daily Mail fan but I’m not a fan of this sort of indirect censorship either. I can’t help but feel a line has been crossed.

+1, while the Daily Mail is a right load of old bollocks, I don’t need someone deciding what I do and don’t click on.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’m all for reducing the revenue the DM receives by people (possibly unwittingly) clicking links to their s(h)ite.
    censorship? nah. boo frickin’ hoo…

scotroutes

We need more people to post on this thread. I’m trying to work out the correlation between those that need someone to decide whether or not they want to click on a web link and those that need told a clean shirt daily is a good idea.

badnewz
    Free Member

It seems to me that STW has developed a bit of an obsession about the Daily Mail. My advice – chill out, ignore it, don’t rise to the bait:-

yossarian
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of people telling me what I can or can’t read.

However some posters need to remember that this is a privately owned website and if the owners have decided that they don’t want traffic from here going there then it’s their decision, and one that I cannot disagree with.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘We're not THAT doomed! (Daily Wail content)’ is closed to new replies.