• This topic has 56 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Caher.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Went to an exercise class and nearly blacked out!
  • martinhutch
    toby1

I’ve been weight training for the last year and cycling to and from work (7.5miles each way) and running parkrun once a week.

I’d die on my ar*e if I went back to the circuits class I used to do, circuits can be great, but by god it’s hard work!

As the others have said, provided it’s not an underlying medical condition, break yourself back in gently, shorter reps and listen to your lungs. But keep going it’ll get better and you may just be the sort of person who starts to love it. I’d go back to the old class I used to go to, but it’s not that close to work or home and adding a ride there and home afterwards might just end me! Also in my 40’s, down now to 90kg from 105 this time last year, so I am not unfamiliar with your situation btw 🙂

theotherjonv

I do a HIIT class 4 times a week and once you get to the level, the body adapts.

1/ Not everyone gets to the same level; I want to get to the stage I was at before where I can do eg: continuous press ups for a 40s interval but unlikely I’ll ever be able to do as many in those 40s as the 25 year old whippet can. Be as good as you can be, and better than you were last week.

And it takes time – better to be able to do 3 x 20s circuits of them with good form than struggle to do the first 40s with bad form and then be too overloaded to do set 2 properly and set 3 at all.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve been weight training for the last year and cycling to and from work (7.5miles each way) and running parkrun once a week.

I’d die on my ar*e if I went back to the circuits class I used to do, circuits can be great, but by god it’s hard work!

I would echo this – it’s what I was kind of trying to get at in my first post. REALLY high intensity stuff is hard until you’re fully used to it. In much the same way you wouldn’t train for sprints then hope to do a 24h race fast, the opposite applies. General fitness will help a bit, but there will be a period of adaptation to the more intense workout.

dogxcd

Exercise (pre) syncope** is potentially a significant symptom
    I would avoid anything more than low level 2 exertion, in the absence of other symptoms, until comprehensively checked out by an expert
    Frustrating I know, but worth pursuing

**exercise induced ( pre ) fainting

footflaps

Is the OP still alive?

Poopscoop

^^ Not been seen since he watched the video posted by crikey.

He’s probably alive but a little busy.

crikey
    Free Member

You do know that video was released in 2004….right?

Edukator
    Free Member

Just walk a couple of hours a day to start with.

GrahamS

Yeah I’m still alive @footflaps 😁

Just walk a couple of hours a day to start with

Lovely though that sounds, I really don’t have that sort of spare time.

Example: today, up at 6:30, get kids ready for school, do some chores, drive to work; short (15 min) walk at lunch time; drive home to change, grab child 2 and head straight to Cubs; run Cubs session; back home about 8:30; grab snack and put child 2 to bed (it’s 9:15 – she’s reading as I type this).

Don’t really fancy a two hour walk in the rain at 9:30 at night. So I’m taking a short walk to the pub instead 😀

Caher

Excellent, pub is the the other side of the equation.

GrahamS

UPDATE

Thanks for all the advice. I was sore for about four days after the class but I’m pleased to say that I went back last night, listened to my body, took it a little easier on myself and made it through the circuits without dying. Which is nice.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well done 🙂

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

good stuff, thanks for the update.

I didn’t post before but I think you got the message that you really shouldn’t push yourself that hard on your first time out. Get some more classes and general fitness under your belt first which you appear to have taken on board.

Keep it up.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

My wife passed out first time dead lifting, provided me with much amusement.
    WTFU is usually appropriate.
    Lifting like a boss now though.

footflaps

Well done OP!

My wife passed out first time dead lifting, provided me with much amusement.

Loads of great post DL passing out vids on Youtube, although the ones where they fall face first into the dumbbell rack do make me wince a bit…

Caher

Too lousy for a ride so off to my second class of the day. First was @ 7. I do live 5 mins walk from a sport centre.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Went to an exercise class and nearly blacked out!’ is closed to new replies.