Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Went for my first run yesterday…
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Holy moly! It’s great fun!

After years of saying that running was pointless and spoiled a good walk, a good friend convinced me that it’s essentially doing what I love doing anyway, but a bit quicker.

Bought some Inov8 X Talon 212’s and stopped off at The Cobbler for my first run since I was at school.

I was totally done in from riding the World Cup track at Nevis all day on the Saturday, but figured I could just walk if things got too tough.

First 1,000ft was brutal, very nearly turned back. Finally got some rhythm before starting the climb to the summit, then started to run the full ridge between at the peaks, which was FANTASTIC! There was a cloud inversion, so the clouds were below me as I ran across a knife edge ridge, before descending via the south summit.

Managed to get up and back off in just under two hours, including rests, so pretty chuffed. 7.5 miles, 3,000ft of ascent and a nice wee bit of technical scrambling.

Think I need to find a running partner though, there were a few times on the descent where I thought I would never be found if I lost my footing.

I’m hooked! 🙂

Anyone got any good mountain runs in Scotland they can recommend??

Also, any general tips?

Keva
    Free Member

two hours to do 7.5miles is about right for someone new to running. don’t do too much to start with and increase speed and distance slowly to avoid injuries.

Jamie
    Free Member

Also, any general tips?

Don’t fall over and enjoy the views. That’s about it.

peterfile
    Free Member

two hours to do 7.5miles is about right for someone new to running. don’t do too much to start with and increase speed and distance slowly to avoid injuries.

Is there any harm in starting out with mountain stuff? It struck me that I have no running technique, and that it would be pretty hard to work on it in mountainous terrain since it’s so varied and stop/start etc.

Would I be best off sticking to flat trails for a bit? I was pretty pooped after 3,000ft of ascent to be honest, loved it, but my knees and groin were not feeling great when i reached the car.

Also, I was mentally exhausted after the descent, it was like doing a 40 minute DH run on the bike

wwaswas

as above, really, start gently.

I’d say you done too much for a first run, tbh, in terms of both distance and terrain.

If you’ll always run on stuff like that then I’d stick with doing that, personally.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

wow, i am so envious that you have mountains to run on.

my top tip, said it a million times on here, join your local club. at the very least the weekly club runs are excellent motivation to get out and keep at it in the cold winter nights.

wrecker
    Free Member

You obviously have a good base fitness, but be careful. Running is quite a destructive exercise and the mechanics are quite different to other stuff IMHO. I’d be weary of shin splints, groin injuries and knee pain.
    Perhaps start with a less demanding run? Just to get your muscles and joints used to it before smashing out mountains.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…Is there any harm in starting out with mountain stuff?…

1) running downhill can be brutal on the quads (how are you feeling today?)

2) it’s easy to tweak an ankle.

3) you may find yourself entering a fell race.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’d say you done too much for a first run, tbh, in terms of both distance and terrain

Yes, that did cross my mind about half way up. I just picked it on the basis I know the route inside out (one less thing to think about) and knew it would be busy with other people if I ended up taking a tumble etc.

I’d be happy with a similar distance but half the ascent. Will have a dig around the web for some routes.

Is one run a week like that OK to start out?

(and yes, quads are a wee bit tender today. Feel like yesterday was leg day at the gym)

wwaswas

tbh, if it had been me doing that as a first run I’d have been unable to walk today – the muscles are so different to the cycling ones.

stever
    Free Member

Good effort, you don’t need any advice! Love the Cobbler, was up there last March http://www.flickr.com/photos/steverile/6813824836/
    Don’t forget the whistle 🙂

tonyd

I was expecting you to say you’d done a 3 mile pootle round your local roads. Very good effort for your first run!

I’d have said that was a bit much for a first run but see how you feel and take it from there. Listen to your body, and be careful – if this really is the first time you’ve done this (run rather than walk) taking on this kind of terrain could put a lot of strain on ligaments. Make sure you warm up well and stretch lots.

mugsys_m8

I like this.
    Keep on enjoying the hills fella.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

+1 for joining a club

Your local club is no doubt super friendly with wealth of experience and whole range abilities.

willard

Good effort! I love running in the mountains, such a nice change from the flatlands here in the east.

By the way: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

davetrave
    Free Member

Two good sites for hill running:

Scottish Hill Runners
    Scottish Hill Racing

Plenty of club details, well worth a look… If you look at the various race links you’ll often find course maps that you can use to give you ideas for routes. I’m lucky, when I’m at work I’m a fell-runner, in the Peak and Lake Districts; when I’m home, I’m a hill runner, in the Cairngorms or Grampians.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Went for my first run yesterday…’ is closed to new replies.