Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Went for my first run in 3 years today
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Trails were covered in about an inch of sheet ice so I decided to go for a run instead. Now I thought that being reasonably bike fit I could run 10 k without much effort, despite never having been a runner and not having run once in the last 3 years. Ouch, was I wrong. Took me almost an hour and my wee legs almost fell off half way round.

Not only that but it was the most boring thing I have ever had the misfortune to do. Never again.

Neil-F
    Free Member

“Reasonably bike fit” and thought you could run 10k without much effort?
    A bit naive, especially with wee legs. 😆

tpbiker
    Free Member

yes I know that now! Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Won’t be doing it again in a hurry!

And you’re right, my wee legs don’t help matters! 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jase
    Free Member

Good luck tomorrow…………and the day after 😆

jota180
    Free Member

Yeah, going upstairs will be funny, not for you though 😀

matt_outandabout

Not only that but it was the most boring thing I have ever had the misfortune to do. Never again.

^ This also prevent me from running…

tpbiker
    Free Member

indeed Matt, it was mind numbing. It made an afternoon’s grind on the roadbike feel like an afternoon downhilling in the Alps by comparison.

I can’t believe normal people can motivate themselves to train for a full Marathon.

sailor74
    Free Member

Been doing lots of trail running recently and found I enjoy it as much as riding. Been doing up to 60 miles a week with long runs up to 25-30 miles.
    The downside I have found is avoiding injury. As much as I enjoy running I’m buying some rollers and focusing on bike riding (trail and road) this winter, Ive never been injured from cycling no matter what the mileage, unlike running where I always feel like im on the cusp of injury once the mileage goes up. I will probably just do one half marathon a week to keep my hand in though.

sailor74
    Free Member

I can’t believe normal people can motivate themselves to train for a full Marathon

Normal people are motivating themselves to run 100 mile Ultras and beyond.

sambob
    Free Member

Not sure they’re that normal sailor74 😉

OCB
    Free Member

I run as an alternative to using my turbo …

I find that running on tarmac does my head in, so I end up running (and scrambling about) in the woods, and usually in the dark, which certainly adds a bit of interest.

I ‘spose there’s an increased risk of injury (over doing it properly), especially as I almost never warm up, and don’t own proper ‘running’ shoes. I often seem to go out seconds after drinking a cup of tea as well, so end up with a sicky feeling pretty much straight off 😛 .

I do a loop of about 4km, and that takes me the best part of an hour, but that’s mostly making my own way up and down banks/slopes, over streams / fallen trees / through bracken et cetera.

Actually, I hate running, but it’s made much better by running in poor conditions – rain, wind, cold and mud definitely make it more entertaining – I’d almost go as far as to say it makes it tolerable. … but one needs to do something when it’s not riding weather (that avoids resorting to the dreaded turbo). 😉

andybloomer
    Free Member

Take heart in the fact that however bad your legs are aching now, it’ll be far worse on Monday. Good luck, I’d book a day or two off work and whimper on the settee until it subsides. 😆

OmarLittle
    Free Member

running on the road or pavement is dreadful but out on the trails it can be fun

My biggest problem though is that running often makes me need to poo desperately, no matter what i eat beforehand or what time a day it is. 😕

seanoc
    Free Member

I love the stresslessness of running, I love the accessfulness, I live the health benefits, I hate having to hobble down the stairs every morning, I hate the injury.

Never had a punctured lung running trails though.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

That’s hilarious I tried to get Mr MC into running a few years back we got a mile from home, he got a splitting head ache said “sod this” and turned around and walked hoem!!!!!!!!!!! He’s never run since, if the bus is pulling away he’ll wait for the next one.. he may even get eaten by a pack of wolves!

Pieface

I’m desperate to run at the moment, but due to an injury involving a piriformis nerve or something the best I can muster is 7 100 metre circuits on the road at a very pedestrian pace. Last summer I was doing quite well in fell races and had some good winter training plans for next year.

Unfortunately even biking is aggravating the injury as its nerve related, any shocks from the road / trail go right up my calf. I’m thinking of taking up swimming – now I understand why so many runners become triathletes

andybloomer
    Free Member

I had periformis syndrome a while back, it was a slipped disc to start with. Have you googled periformis stretches? Cured my problems

smiffy

I get the running in bad conditions thing; I get dragged out for a run from time to time and being quite a square, broad sort of chap I find it quite hard work. But in a storm, hauling through mud, knee-deep floods I love it. I need to think about every step to not get bored.

Pieface

Its the Peroneal nerve thats the problem (I’d be a crap Doctor). Its tender as anything. I’ll look some stretches up though but my Physio has given me some exercises. Basically it looks like a long, slow road to recovery.

manicfodder
    Free Member

I don’t mind running as long as I have my headphones in and its not too dark to run on the trails. The dog enjoys it more than a walk too.

Jase
    Free Member

My dog hates it which is a shame as would like to take him on a regular basis

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Oh dear… and there is be having been talked into running a 10k in about a years time! And I don’t run…. infact I need to emphasis that… I DON’T RUN.

The other half has just finished the C25K so I am going to give it a couple of months or so for an old injury to be sorted (an old injury that I should have addressed many years ago but ignored and now having physio for) then I am going to have to start training. Though not sure I can bring myself to do the C25K route myself.

petrieboy

10k in almost an hour is a pretty good effort in my book!

Duggan

I love running and prefer it to mountain biking, so generally mountain bike or cycle when I’m injured or as cross-training to take the stress off my joints.

I love the simplicity of it and the fact that you can just get out and go with a pair of shorts and trainers without any faff or maintenance whatsoever. I do find the overheads and faffing around associated with mountain biking a bit overbearing sometimes but then I’m not a technically minded person.

I find running a great stress reliever and if you go for long enough it can almost be a bit meditative sometimes. Plus running in bad weather is ace, whereas I often find mountain biking in bad weather can be a bit grim. Weirdly, I also really like that achy feeling you get in your legs after a long run.

It’s easy to see why it’s not for everyone though, I think you probably need a certain type of mentality to really enjoy it, I can understand why a lot of people think it boring.

Also OP, I wouldn’t worry about the aching legs- I’m sure cycling and running use totally different muscle groups so going for a 10k after three years of not running anywhere was always going to put you in a world of pain 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

10k in almost an hour is a pretty good effort in my book!

+1

Munqe-chick – Look at the bright side; you won’t even have to trip him when the zombies start chasing you! 😉

I used to like to run in high school, college, and into my 20s. Now, I hate it! On the rare occasion that I do run I am either looking at the stopwatch (only 10 more minutes…) or counting the laps/distance till I’m done. And I’m sore for days afterward, since running uses muscles differently than biking. Well, that and I don’t stretch or anything…

But on a good day I can ride for hours and enjoy it!

Kuco

Just got back into trail running and loving it especially with all this shit weather at the moment.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

I did the same due to a rib injury from falling off the bike at the end of the summer…….running is definately overrated! 🙁 needless to say it was the one and only time and i just got the bike out again…..

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Running like cycling is much more enjoyable when you are fit – in my experience. I don’t much enjoy running these days as I don’t (can’t due to age and body part failure) do enough. But in the old days when I was fit it was a fantastic feeling running (almost) effortlessly, especially on trails and fells.

Clover

I’ve just started running. Once a week. Like OP I went straight into an 8 mile pack run from um, nothing. My legs for the next three days were a standing (or mainly sitting) joke. Muscles I never knew existed

To be fair it only took a couple of weeks for me to stop trailing behind and I don’t hate it quite as much now. Still puzzled at running downhill. Downhill should be fun. Running, it feels like I am a sack of spuds tumbling down stairs. Thwack thwack thwack. 😕

tpbiker
    Free Member

Well the warnings above have proven correct. I feel like my lower half has been run over by a truck. Not looking forward to the next couple of days 🙁

andypaul99
    Free Member

Running is very much like marmite. In my experiences you have to do it fairly regularly to enjoy it. The fitness benefits are far more pronounced than cycling though. I struggle to get max HR on a bike wheras i could get there running very quicky indeed. And getting back from a run i always feel ive had a good workout, which cant always be said for the bike.
    There is an essential accessory for runners though…music. Its mind numbing without a good set of tunes.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just taken up trail running and loving it. I can imagine road running being a bit boring, but trail running is fun. I think music would ruin trail running IMO, although may help with roadie work.

I’m going to keep DHing and road riding, but I am seriously considering selling my hardtail xc bike as running has pretty much made it redundant.

The Garmin Forerunner 210 I’ve just bought also adds a bit of technical interest to it.

I’ve only been doing it a few weeks (once or twice a week) and can already feel my legs getting more accustomed to it: I’ve just been out for a 11.65km run and feel OK, although my calves still need a bit of work.

The other thing I’ve noticed is just how social running is, compared to mtbing: People smile and say hello, you say hello back, dogs like to play with you, far more choice of routes around my area, you get to see some sights you wouldn’t from a bike. All of which add to the experience.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Running is great, if you ease yourself into it.

ononeorange

I love running too but sadly repeated tendonitis has stopped me. I did once turn up to a half marathon once having not really done much running. That hurt for weeks!

zilog6128

Just got back from a 9 mile run around the local MTB trails. Very muddy and great fun! You get out of running what you put in IMO. Improving fitness & technique and losing bodyfat has made running much more enjoyable for me.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Went for my first run in 3 years today’ is closed to new replies.