• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Went for a walk yesterday (pic heavy)
  • grum
    Free Member

Decided to try and make the most of the last of the snow in the Lakes, and we were really glad we did – beautiful day to be up in the hills. I’d read the Lake District felltop assessor’s report and it sounded like there was still a lot of snow, but we were sceptical driving up there as there was really very little around in general (apart from the big drifts piled up on the sides of the road on Kirkstone Pass).

Coming down into Patterdale though we got some glimpses of a very alpine-looking Helvellyn off to the left, and started to get a bit excited. Not really done any winter walking/scrambling for a while.

We set off from Glenridding up past the Youth Hostel/Ski Club hut at Greenside, heading for the path up to Whiteside Bank.

Helvellyn April 2013 (1 of 24) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Helvellyn April 2013 (2 of 24) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Helvellyn April 2013 (3 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Helvellyn April 2013 (4 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Helvellyn April 2013 (6 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Helvellyn April 2013 (8 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Helvellyn April 2013 (10 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

A couple of stiff bits of uphill to get to the top of Whiteside Bank, then Lower Man, and we were on the main summit ridge.

Helvellyn April 2013 (12 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Helvellyn April 2013 (14 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Helvellyn April 2013 (16 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Helvellyn April 2013 (17 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Some impressive cornices on the summit ridge, especially for mid-April in England!

Helvellyn April 2013 (19 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Stopped for a brew in a little snow cave someone had dug on the summit – very cosy inside with a nice little seat shelf cut out.

Helvellyn April 2013 (20 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Helvellyn April 2013 (21 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Striding Edge was looking very alpine but we thought Swirral Edge probably a better bet for descending.

Helvellyn April 2013 (23 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

We put our spikes on as the top section was still quite compacted and icy in places – and we were glad we did – the snow was melting and going slushy pretty quickly up there though.

My girlfriend had proper crampons but having just got some new non crampon compatible boots I was just using Kahtoola Micro Spikes, but they performed really well. Dead easy to get on and off and very small and light to carry – not sure what they’d be like if it was really icy or on steeper ground.

Helvellyn April 2013 (24 of 22) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Striding Edge in profile.

We were nearly down at about 5pm and met a couple going the other way with skis, catching the last few hours of sunshine, amazing really to be able to do that.

We polished off the last few section back down to the car then drove home via the Eagle and Child in Staveley for massive portions of fish and chips and deep fried risotto cakes, washed down with Loweswater Gold. Mmmmmm……

All in all a superb trip out – definitely one of those ‘glad to be alive’ days and incredible conditions for April in England. For reasons I’ve gone on about endlessly on here before it still feels very special to me to be able to do stuff like this. Hope you enjoy the pics.

boxelder

Nice

scuttler

Top class. Enjoyed that. I remember a day out on Striding (no snow so without winter gear) except of course what remains of those cornices can hang around for a long time. There were some substantial and solid steps kicked in though so only minor dramas getting onto the plateau.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

The snow cave is so cool, never done that, envious in a positive way.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gorgeous pics as usual, Grum.

grum
    Free Member

Cheers folks.

scuttler – I quite fancied going up Striding Edge but the missus was a bit nervous, and as I’d not tried the Kahtoola Spikes before I thought it might be best to go for an easier option. Probably would have been fine though.

Coming down Swirral Edge felt pretty alpine and exciting anyway having not done much stuff like this for a good while.

I’ve climbed up onto the summit ridge in winter before and getting over the cornice was terrifying!

The snow cave is so cool, never done that, envious in a positive way.

We were trying to work out if people had been bivvying in there. it seemed a bit small to sleep in but would have been pretty cosy. There was another smaller one a bit further on.

Keva
    Free Member

wow! nice pics

samuri
    Free Member

excellent

kuman
    Free Member

Some great shots !

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Such a cool looking mountain, nice work.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. 🙂

Was ace – pretty sure the snow will all be gone very soon though.

grum
    Free Member

http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/

Heavy rain forecast which will probably get rid of a fair chunk of the snow up there. 🙁

At least it means it should be fit for biking again before too long.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Great shots Grum, thanks for sharing. I am very envious.

Probably the correct choices on Striding if you did not have full crampons. But it is interesting how many accidents happen on Swirral as people expect it to be easier to descend. That steep first section often catches people out.

Your great photos still have me itching to try to ski the East face, but top looked steep! But the road photos at the start brings back more painful memories of the latter parts of Helvellyn tri!!!

Do you live in the Lakes?

Edit for second look: Little gully on the side of the exit slope of Striding looks interesting. I haven’t noticed that one before.

annebr
    Free Member

Lovely 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Cheers THM, yup the first bit on Swirral made me slightly anxious but I had to act confident for my GF’s sake. 🙂 – would have been more intimidating if it was a bit icier (as it probably was first thing).

I could see some tracks where people had been skiing down into brown cove but I couldn’t see any obvious ones down towards red tarn. And yes that gully does look interesting. One day I will manage to lug my board up there (probably on a day the ski tow on Raise is open).

I don’t live in the Lakes but I’m not too far away. Glenridding is about an hour’s drive for me.

Lovely

Ta. 🙂

Vortexracing

nice piccies Grum

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was inspired in my youth of tales of Ivan Waller jumping the cornice and skiing the East face. I have seen YT clips and watched it once “live” when the skier abseiled off the trig point down the first 30m or so. Looks like two or three hairy turns to start and then just a steep slope. One day perhaps?

I have backed off Swirral twice in Winter and actually gone down Striding both times!!! That first bit can be a scary slab of sheet ice.

You take great shots!

stumpy01

WOW!! Looks like a lovely day out! Some great shots there too.

Thanks for sharing.

lowey

NIce.

grum
    Free Member

Cheers folks. My trusty GF1 and kit lens (14-45) is still going strong. Lack of viewfinder was a bit of an issue given how bright it was.

One day perhaps?

Maybe we can do it together and talk politics all the way up? 😛

user-removed
    Free Member

Enjoyed that, thanks! Did similar about eight years back – walked to the edge of the cliff going up and admired the view. Looked back after 20 minutes walking to see that we’d all been stood on a massive overhanging cornice. Scary.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Great pics

Looks like it was skied on or around the 1st april from this picture. cornice not to big either…
    http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/__data/assets/image/0015/323034/P4010208.JPG

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That would be fun, as long as you didn’t try to take my legs away on the way down. Steep enough as it is! 😉 But who needs to talk politics when there are gullies/ridges to climb and slopes to descend!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Only just caught this. Wowee! Nice pics. Am well jell. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Yeah I stayed well back from the cornices, especially with it getting so warm up there.

Nick that line doesn’t look too scary, and as you say he cornice there isn’t too huge – will have to pluck up the courage to try it one day.

Cheers darcy. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Went for a walk yesterday (pic heavy)’ is closed to new replies.