Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wenlock Edge?
  • blokeuptheroad

Every year in early December, I stay with a load of mates and their families in a barn complex near Much Wenlock for a weekend of activities various, food, booze and music.

A few of us mountain bike and I have been asked to lead a mixed ability group for a ride of a couple of hours or so, from where we are staying (Stokes Barn if any locals know it).

In previous years we have had a few explores along the edge but haven’t really found a great deal. It’s OK, but I just feel it has a bit of potential and I am missing some good stuff. Can any locals give me any pointers?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

If you google wenlock edge mtb it comes up with a 9 mile loop taking in Church Preen that you could certainly ride to from your accommodation. It’s off the Edge though so would finish with a vicious climb. I haven’t lived round there for nearly 40 years though so there might be lots of riding along the top. Watch out for quarries if so.

Esme
    Free Member

Sorry, I can’t help with local knowledge, although I’ve ridden the whole length from Much Wenlock to Craven Arms. It’s a very pleasant route, but not exactly exciting.

blokeuptheroad

@hamishthecat thanks, found the link and that might be an option.

@Esme
    yep, that was our experience scenic and pleasant but not as much twisty singletrack as we were hoping for.

gingerbllr
    Free Member

I live locally, ride my cross bike along the edge quite a bit. Never found anything worth breaking out the mtb for along there. That’s not to say there isn’t anything up there though.

Better option for a mixed group would be the long mynd. Short drive away, easy to do multiple loops of stuff, nice pub and a bike shop.

blokeuptheroad

I live locally, ride my cross bike along the edge quite a bit. Never found anything worth breaking out the mtb for along there. That’s not to say there isn’t anything up there though.

Better option for a mixed group would be the long mynd. Short drive away, easy to do multiple loops of stuff, nice pub and a bike shop.

Thanks, I live in Ludlow so am aware of a lot of good riding nearby. The Mynd, Hopton, Mortimer, Bringewood etc. Unfortunately logistics and limited time due to other stuff going on, mean it really does have to be something we can cycle to from the accommodation.

slowoldman

blokeuptheroad

@slowoldman thanks. I think. Soporific, much like the riding on the edge!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wenlock Edge?’ is closed to new replies.