• This topic has 131 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • Welsh Government riding restrictions
  • SaxonRider

It has just come to my notice that as of today, we in Wales are now limited to riding within 10 miles of our house.

Living in the middle of Cardiff, I might as well stick to the rollers now.

🙁

reluctantjumper

That 10 miles allows you to go all the way to the ridge north of Cardiff and even to Caerphilly, it’s where I’m riding most days. I’m in Tremorfa and Cwmcarn is within distance for me, just, but it’s closed. Plenty of tracks and small woods to use as I’ve been discovering over the last week or two.

fatoldgit

A quick calculation using 10 miles as the radius of a circle suggests you could still do a ride in excess of 50 mile quite legally, so I’m not sure it should be a huge isssue,
    Time to dig out the maps and find some new routes ?

Mister-P
    Free Member

How are cyclists riding in Wales?

Caerphilly.

Klunk
    Free Member

there is no 10 mile limit in the “offical document” that seems to be “police advice”

exercise guidance

Cycling

17. Cycling is a valid form of exercise and is also a suitable way of going to work. Cycling is generally a low-risk activity but with emergency services under pressure, it is important to take steps to manage risk wherever possible. An accident or a breakdown far from home would place additional strain on health services or require a further journey to be made by someone else to provide assistance.

18. People are expected to only cycle alone or with members of their household, on routes they know well, and that are well within their ability level. Cyclists on shared paths should be considerate of walkers, runners and other people cycling: they should stay two metres from others, slow their pace and stop to let people pass as appropriate.

19. Cycling should be local, as a rule of thumb limited to travelling no further than a reasonable walking distance from home. Exercising by cycling significant distances from home is not considered to be a reasonable excuse for leaving home.

20. Cycling to work, or for work, is a reasonable excuse to be outside (so long as going to work, or doing the work, is itself justifiable).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That’s an interesting one since I live about 1 mile from the border. Do I have to comply or does it only apply to welsh people ?

Klunk
    Free Member

That’s an interesting one since I live about 1 mile from the border. Do I have to comply or does it only apply to welsh people ?

i’d go with the “as long as you maintain social distancing you can do wtf you like” which everybody else is currently doing

ugarizza
    Free Member

Sounds less than 10 miles to me?

19. Cycling should be local, as a rule of thumb limited to travelling no further than a reasonable walking distance from home. Exercising by cycling significant distances from home is not considered to be a reasonable excuse for leaving home

whytetrash

Its rubbish… no legal definition of local or prescribed maximum time you’re allowed to be on your bike… chatting to mate who’s in police and they’ve got no more clue than us!I’m on coast so locally got coast path which is narrow and busy… or empty moors 30 mins away where you hardly see anyone for hours… I know where I feel safer🙄

codybrennan
    Free Member

Came here to do the ‘Caerphilly/Carefully’ joke, 14 hours too late

Klunk
    Free Member

Sounds less than 10 miles to me?

especially in a pair of carbon soled shoes with road cleats. its an odd one really i would consider it “reasonable” for someone from your household to collect you in a car if you say completely taco’d a wheel in a pot hole or your bike was trashed by someone rear ending you at a junction and you were otherwise unhurt. I wouldn’t be expecting anyone to be walking home from those.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s terrible advice. But I think it could be made sense of sort of.

If I ride from Cardiff in a loop via Newport and Usk, that is 90% in the unreasonable category. If I ride to the next suburb, it’s 100% in the reasonable category. If I ride through Machen and Caerphilly then that still feels to me like it’s in the reasonable category, likewise 2hr duration.

So I can’t see how anything is changed, it’s just ever so slightly more emphasising the local nature of the restrictions.

RichPenny
    Free Member

especially in a pair of carbon soled shoes with road cleats. its an odd one really i would consider it “reasonable” for someone from your household to collect you in a car

*What if no-one else in your household can drive? Have walked 5 miles or so home after a couple of terminal mechanicals.

I think it’s a good thing we have all these threads up. It shows we’re mostly questioning our behaviour. I think that’ll be key for management of lockdown going forward. It’s pretty much impossible to police this, it has to be done with consent. And as has been pointed out elsewhere, the achievable goal isn’t 100% compliance, it’s compliance at a high enough level to get the transmission rate to the desired level. I wonder, with reduced
    activity, some public leisure activity could be possible in a few months.

P-Jay
    Free Member

there is no 10 mile limit in the “offical document” that seems to be “police advice”

This, oh so this.

Within mins of the Welsh Gov releasing new rules (they’re not laws so I’m not sure the plenty for being caught breaking them if any).

Someone decided to interpret them all for us. The “10 mile” thing that’s supposed to make it easier (or frankly more restrictive) does the opposite. Is it a journey of 10 miles or less, never being more than a 10 mile ride from home or staying within a 10 mile radius of home?

I’ve just come back from my daily ride. It was 16.7 miles long and took 2 hours. I was within the 10 mile radius (which is huge when you look at it) so was I compliant or not?

ugarizza
    Free Member

I guess we’ll see over the next few days how the police will interpret and enforce this.
    Strava is telling me that Cardiff riders are doing 10-20-30-40 rides so far today.

SaxonRider

I got notice this morning through my CC’s WhatsApp ‘rides’ group, that the enforceable legal interpretation of ‘reasonable walking distance’ from home is 3 to 4 miles. Consequently, I think my entire club has turned to Zwift.

Thanks to @molgrips for the free rollers he gave me, as I can at least feel like I’m riding in my back garden. 🙁

reluctantjumper

Where did they get that distance info from? That wouldn’t even cover my cycle commute from one side of the city to the other! I’m sticking to my usual of sticking within the eastern side of the city limits, no more than 6 miles from home and it’s all downhill so can roll home if I have a mechanical. 22 miles done today and didn’t get any further away than 5 miles from home, far more within the rules than all the people who drove up to Fforest Fawr and Coed-Y-Wenallt woods.

scotroutes

the enforceable legal interpretation of ‘reasonable walking distance’ from home is 3 to 4 miles

No doubt “interpreted” by one of the curtain twitchers.

mooman
    Free Member

No, I think you interpreting the recommendation wrong. It’s a case of what is considered reasonable.
    I consider 50 miles to be the maximum reasonable distance from home; for that reason I shall venture no further than 40 miles from home to ensure I abide by it👍

poah
    Free Member

That wouldn’t even cover my cycle commute from one side of the city to the other!

Commutes are different.

convert

No, I think you interpreting the recommendation wrong. It’s a case of what is considered reasonable.
    I consider 50 miles to be the maximum reasonable distance from home; for that reason I shall venture no further than 40 miles from home to ensure I abide by it👍

So you consider a 50 mile walk home after a bike mechanical a reasonable walk to take on if required? Or is it in fact that you are a little bit as unreasonable and self in real life appear to be by your post on here?

Marko

This is where Devolution/Nationalism sucks. Why can’t each individual administration get on the same fricking page! I’m just over a mile from the border so the Welsh assembly can stick it where the sun don’t shine*

*My stats show a maximum ride of 1.5 hours, up to 2,500 feet of climbing and a max distance of 10+ miles and never further than 2 miles from home so it won’t bother me anyway.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Reading the gov site again makes me think I need to lawyer up before leaving the house!

Trimix
    Free Member

Just ignore it. It sounds ill thought out. Keep your distance and enjoy your bike ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

It doesn’t say anything about mechanicals.

convert

I know its putting 2 and 2 together to make 4 and I know this is tricky for some but what would be your thinking behind cycle rides being within a walking distance from home?

ugarizza
    Free Member

It may be that if you take two tubes, a chain tool and a spare link, you can go further?
    Don’t worry boys, my legal team are on it! 😉

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Just ignore it. It sounds ill thought out. Keep your distance and enjoy your bike ride.

Exactly this.

The devolved government situation having their own rules isnt helpful either when the like of social media doesnt recognise borders. Misinformation and further confusion galore.

convert

The devolved government situation having their own rules isnt helpful either when the like of social media doesnt recognise borders. Misinformation and further confusion galore.

It is however the clearest and most informative and logical set of instructions we have. Personally I’d be happiest if all 4 nations slung out what they had said to date and adopted this version.

kelvin

the Welsh assembly can stick it where the sun don’t shine

They are trying to help people* who can’t understand the broader looser instructions, and what they are for. Or at least pretend not to understand.

*this clearly doesn’t include you, so don’t worry about it.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

It is however the clearest and most informative and logical set of instructions we have. Personally I’d be happiest if all 4 nations slung out what they had said to date and adopted this version.

But its not, as P-Jay rightly points out.

mooman
    Free Member

convert
    Subscriber

So you consider a 50 mile walk home after a bike mechanical a reasonable walk to take on if required? Or is it in fact that you are a little bit as unreasonable and self in real life appear to be by your post on here

I consider that each time I venture out on my bike – so I take items with me that would prevent the 50 mile walk home if I did have a mechanical 50 miles from home .. not that I find that unreasonable; in fact .. that’s very reasonable I’d say.

Any other questions?

MoreCashThanDash

Yet again, a fairly straight forward set of guidance is being wasted by people using whataboutery to try and point score on the internet.

molgrips
    Free Member

It does explicitly say it’s not what YOU consider reasonable, it’s what other normal people consider reasonable.

oldnpastit

It’s mainly people over the age of 70 who benefit from this. I hope they’re grateful.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m really happy to be spending my nights working in Intensive Care while people piss and moan about how far they can play out.

singlespeedstu

Just had a look at how big a ten mile radius is from my house.
    I could do a monster ride within that circle.
    I’ll just stick to my normal 20 odd miles of offroad though and avoid all the local DH spots until it’s safe to chance stacking it again.
    https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-from-uk-postcode.htm

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Problem with this is like walking locally then there is too many people in one area I live in Cheltenham you ride up onto the Cotswolds and the first part is packed with walkers way more than normal walking from town clear that and get further up then its great so quiet I will keep going to quiet places.

MoreCashThanDash

I like the map thing. I just drifted out the 10 mile zone today, but pretty much all my 20-30 rides are within 10 miles from home

RichPenny
    Free Member

It does actually:

17. Cycling is a valid form of exercise and is also a suitable way of going to work. Cycling is generally a low-risk activity but with emergency services under pressure, it is important to take steps to manage risk wherever possible. An accident or a breakdown far from home would place additional strain on health services or require a further journey to be made by someone else to provide assistance.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Welsh Government riding restrictions’ is closed to new replies.