Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wells… a good to live?
  • Podium
    Free Member

Has made it's way onto my shortlist of areas to move to.

Would appreciate any Wellsonian feedback re pros and cons.

Thanks.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ignore me, i was thinking of glastonbury

wells always strikes me as a rather nice place

Pook

another pro – mendips.

judderman
    Free Member

Its great! thinking of movin there myself! – edge of the Mendips, Quantocks is half hr drive, Exmoor is an hour away, south Wales (Cwmcarn) 1hour 20mins, Beautifull city, decent bikeshop http://www.bikecity.biz/ good pubs (they filmed Hot Fuzz in the Crown) house prices are not cheap though!

CountZero

Glastonbury is very close to Wells. Wells is a lovely small city, much like Bath, in fact that's where the Baby-eating Bishop Of Bath and Wells resides. (Blackadder joke). The cathedral is just beautiful, and the surrounding countryside is very nice, too. Exmoor isn't that far away, you've got the Levels nearby, and it's difficult to think of any downsides, really. I live in North Wilts, but try to get down that way as often as possible.

Podium
    Free Member

Haven't been there for 20something years,so my recollection is a bit vague.
    Will do a recce in the next month or two.
    Keen on living in the country [quiet life factor] but having access to a nice town and 'tickety boo surrounding area' for on and off roading.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Wells could be a good place to live as long as you have a good set of ladders to get out.

Podium
    Free Member

Area did have a good feel,as I recall.
    If it can tick a good percentage of my 2 page long Important Criteria list then it's a contender.

elliptic
    Free Member

Have a read of this thread from last year.

Where are you coming from?

noteeth
    Free Member

Grew up there. Lovely place.

Podium
    Free Member

House prices/availability of a suitable property will be the ultimate deciding factor.Should still get more for my money than in these parts.

Podium
    Free Member

Am currently in rural Surrey/Sussex.

elliptic
    Free Member

Should still get more for my money than in these parts.

I would have thought so, though house prices are higher than the other towns nearby (Glasto, Shepton, Radstock) reflecting that Wells is by far the nicest place among them. Cute cottages in the surrounding villages are more expensive again.

The market dipped last year with everywhere else but there's been noticeably more turnover in the last few months.

Podium
    Free Member

Thanks for the info/thoughts chaps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wells… a good to live?’ is closed to new replies.