• This topic has 52 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • ''Wellman ' Check up at GP surgery . Anal probe?
  • singletrackmind

Been invited to the local surgery for a ‘Wellman’ check up this afternoon. Being of a certain age ( 40+ ) I guess I am now into the at risk category for heart attack, stroke, diabetes etc.

Not entirely sure whats involved as in the covering letter they stated a blood test would be done 10 days prior so the results can be checked. When booking the appointment no mention of this was made.

Almost looking forward to the blood pressure and HR as mine is usually very good, not looking forward to the anal probe quite so much , if they even do one.

Seems this is a nationwide service , so any experiences to share to fill me with confidence. I know alot of posters on here are also of a certain age too.

scud
    Free Member

I’m sure that from reading something recently, the “james herriott” finger up the posterior doesn’t actually need to be done these days, in that they can check for the likely problems with the prostate with the blood test?

That’s what i’m telling myself anyway bearing in mind i’m 39 3/4’s and have a compulsory work health assesment at 40!!

Sandwich

No internal prostate test. Height, weight, pulse and blood pressure and bloods drawn if it’s first thing otherwise you need to go back for this. Questionnaire about your lifestyle and exercise per week. Then out the door.
    If you claim about 10 hours cycling a week then the nurse will be happy enough, any more and they regard you as superman (most of the 50 year olds they see are a bit overweight and do no exercise).

I’m in for the working parts check on Thursday as there is family history for poor prostate health for 2 generations preceding me. Hopefully the doc won’t go in dry!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not that I’d ever choose to have one, but if you think about it, we’ve all done turds that are at least twice as thick as our fingers, so it can’t be that bad.

Hope that helps.

Pigface
    Free Member

I had a well man check up and found out I am indeed a well man 😆

Only problem was a slightly fatty liver which they arent concerned about.

My cholesterol which I was convinced would be through the roof was fine 8) quite frankly I was amazed, I was even complimented by the nurse for my blood pressure and heart rate.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve had the prostate check PR three times and it isn’t too bad. It’s a useful second check on the blood test, which doctors don’t fully trust.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Three times???
    Was it the same doctor that “didn’t fully trust” the bloods, on all three occasions?
    🙂

sadexpunk

I’ve had the prostate check PR three times and it isn’t too bad.

“are you sure its fine doctor, try it again! and again!!” 😀

Was it the same doctor that “didn’t fully trust” the bloods, on all three occasions?

“i cant quite tell if its fine or not, im going to have to take my glove off” 8)

footflaps

Reminds me to book mine, had an email about it months ago……..

flicker
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member

I’ve had the prostate check PR three times and it isn’t too bad.

“are you sure its fine doctor, try it again! and again!!” [/quote]

😀

Look, no hands!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had a prostrate test a few weeks ago. It wasn’t too bad, but then I had just had a camera up the japs eye minutes before it.

z1ppy

Indeedy as per Gobalti, I’ve had it done a couple of times, for different reasons (not for wellman.. though I am 40+), & was told again though it’s supposedly no longer needed as a prostate cancer check, it’s a useful backup test. Not the nicest of test but hardly the end of the world.. just proved to me, I’ll never be a ‘taker’ 😯

aP
    Free Member

Except for the anal probing…. 😯
    What age are you gents?
    I did ask regarding age related checks about 15 months ago when getting a referral, and I was told not to worry about it, I assume that I should be having some as I was born in the 60s…?

Harry_the_Spider

Sadly not on mine either. To get your wallnut whipped you need to go private.

Height, weight, bloods and a chat.

DezB
    Free Member

I haven’t had that letter from the docs! I’m visiting him tomorrow, so might ask why they haven’t done me. What with being older than 40+ and that.

As an aside, I once had the cupped hand, “cough” check done as part of a company medical. Not sure what information was garnered from that.

flatfish
    Free Member

Currently in a hospital bed after having a metre of camera shoved up my arse in the last half hour.
    It’s nowhere near as bad as I feared.

The laxative cleaning prep from tea time yesterday is dreadful.

Harry_the_Spider

Not sure what information was garnered from that.

That you don’t know the difference between a doctor and a bloke that had come in to paint the windows?

flicker
    Free Member

flatfish – Member

Currently in a hospital bed after having a metre of camera shoved up my arse in the last half hour.

🙂
    Were you given fleet for the laxative? that was an entertaining experience when I used it 😯

@H the S

😀

MoreCashThanDash

I didn’t get probed. Got bloods done, all ok. Then a yummy mummy nurse started telling me how much more than me she drank at weekends, which may have contributed to my slightly raised blood pressure. 8)

If you are over 40 and want a thorough check of your heart, pop in to your GP and mention chest pains. You’ll be wired up before you can say ECG.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s PROSTATE fellas, PROSTATE, not prostrate, which means lying on the floor.

My three times has been over the space of about 15 years so yes, it was definitely a different Dr each time and no, he didn’t have his hands on my shoulders.

This forum cracks me up, I always come here before I go to Cycle Chat because the banter is so much better here. Cyclechatters do take themselves very seriously, especially in Commuting.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m sure that from reading something recently, the “james herriott” finger up the posterior doesn’t actually need to be done these days, in that they can check for the likely problems with the prostate with the blood test?

What @scud says there is actually a blood test which is far more accurate, but that costs money so the finger is till the most common method.

OP – its not the greatest sensation in the world but it’s better to know.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZs4EH7erPo[/video]

ransos
    Free Member

*goes off to find Picolax thread*

flatfish
    Free Member

Were you given fleet for the laxative? that was an entertaining experience when I used it

Can’t remember what they were but I do remember they were disgusting.

DezB
    Free Member

That you don’t know the difference between a doctor and a bloke that had come in to paint the windows?

😆 Thank god I didn’t let him James Herriott me!

flicker
    Free Member

You’ll remember if it was fleet, it wasn’t administered orally 😉

DrP

Just to clear a few things up regarding…

What @scud says there is actually a blood test which is far more accurate, but that costs money so the finger is till the most common method.

You’re referring to the PSA blood test. It monitors teh level of PSA in your blood. PSA is normal, and a certain level is expected.
    It can be high in cancer. It can be high after sex. It can be high after a bike ride. It can be normal in cancer.

Therefore, it’s NOT “far more accurate.” Cost isn’t the reason it’s not offered out will-nilly (you likey… 😉 )

in fact, it’s so innacurate (for arguments sake, I’ll use the term innacurate, though I’m referring to specificity and sensitivity) it’s NOT a screening test (like cervical smears and breast screening).

It will be used in conjunction with clinical signs and symptoms (urinary troubles), a finger up the bum, and the result…

See here for more reading on WHY your doctor may not suggest you have a ‘PSA Screen’ if you ask for it..

Anyway Singletrackmind..I’ve spoken with your GP and they are arranging a special ‘investigation’ just for you. It involves a ‘black mamba’ and a small amount of sedation, so they say…

DrP

footflaps

and a small amount of sedation

Well that will spoil all the fun…..

crankboy
    Free Member

My GP always talks me out of any need for probing or PSA on the basis probing is not that accurate and PSA can give false positives that lead to decisions about further steps that may be counter productive.

I have had the finger twice medically once for prostate issues and once to get a massive pain killer in . Neither experience had much to recommend it but was not painful or overly unpleasant .

flicker
    Free Member

crankboy – Member
    I have had the finger twice medically once for prostate issues and once to get a massive pain killer in . Neither experience had much to recommend it but was not painful or overly unpleasant

Implying you’ve had it for other reasons? 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

My BUPA one last time included the (lady) doctor checking that my balls were not oddly-shaped.

It was not an erotic experience.

brassneck

My BUPA one last time included the (lady) doctor checking that my balls were not oddly-shaped.

It was not an erotic experience.

What would they do if they were? Put them in a rock tumbler?

DrP

^^
    That’s standard NICE guidance in my area…

DrP

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive had a couple of over 40 tests. All fine apart from the last one where they said my resting heart rate was too low.

I thought low was fit, but aparently it can be too low.

MrNice
    Free Member

See here for more reading on WHY your doctor may not suggest you have a ‘PSA Screen’ if you ask for it..

When you have a PSA test you should not have:
    ?? ejaculated in the last 48 hours;
    ?? exercised heavily in the last 48 hours;

I can see why one or other of those reasons could be an issue for many on here…

rossatease
    Free Member

deleted

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

backup test

Does that simultaneously check your prostate health and spatial awareness?
    😯

singletrackmind

All fine
    Very cursory check . BP low, Sats 97 , HR 52 , weight acceptable @ 79kg
    About a dozen questions re family health , exercise, eating , drinking etc.

Just going to have a Chloresterol check at a later date as never had one.

No anal probe . Sorry.

eranu
    Free Member

No excuse not to come digging tomorrow then 🙂

CountZero

I’ve had a letter recently inviting me to make an appointment sometime in the next couple of months, so I s’pose I ought to make the effort.
    I’ve been giggling quietly to myself over some of the comments, well up to the sort of standards I’ve come to expect from STW. 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Bloody hell, at my docs now and nervous as a job interview! Only ever been about injuries before, so talking about a medical issue is a new thing for me.
    What a mental!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘''Wellman ' Check up at GP surgery . Anal probe?’ is closed to new replies.