Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 172 total)
  • Well this could be interesting, hurricane ophelia
  • jam-bo

it’s currently 19 deg in south devon.

swavis

Well the Ventusky site is looking very colourful! 😯

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=54.0;-4.8;5&l=gust

Stay safe folks.

binners

Sky is a very strange colour here in south wales.

Same in East Lancs. A very weird yellow tinge and it doesn’t seem to have got properly light at all

Scapegoat

Anyone else remember the storm of 2 January 1976? We had nine elms blown down in our garden, and I remember standing outside listening to the angry howl of the wind. It was my 12th birthday.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.1477-8696.1976.tb04429.x/full

martinhutch

Same in East Lancs. A very weird yellow tinge and it doesn’t seem to have got properly light at all

Looks very odd indeed…

IHN

I wouldn’t fancy being on the Holyhead <-> Dublin ferry today 😯

seosamh77
    Free Member

Sky is a very strange colour here in south wales.

aye 9.30 looked like dust this morning, still kinda dark just now, pissing down up here, not much else to report.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, not full daylight in Eccles yet either, saying that it’s a good thing as Eccles is well grim

jam-bo
    lowey

Dunno whats giving the sky around Manchester its weird colour, but its making the sun a dull orange orb.

Very odd.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was 12 for the 87 storm. As ever, I slept blissfully through it, got up and went to school. There were some trees down and the roads were quiet, but school was open. Only about 50% of the kids actually made it to school though.

One that didn’t was Julian. He’d been trapped in his mum’s cars passenger seat, next to her corpse after a tree fell on their car the night before.
    🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

its not news that east lancs is still in the dark ages 😉

IHN

The sky’s a weird yellow colour down here in the mean streets of Cirencester too.

One that didn’t was Julian. He’d been trapped in his mum’s cars passenger seat, next to her corpse after a tree fell on their car the night before.

🙁 indeed.

jimjam
    Free Member

Starting to pick up a bit now. Weather on the way in.

ElShalimo

@Scapegoat – that was the Capella windstorm. Another nasty bugger that ripped thru Europe causing nearly 100 deaths and an awful lot of damage.
    It was probably the worst recorded storm of the modern era until the ’87 & ’90 storms occurred.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Salford.

Current observations:

Wind speed: 2 mph E
    Temp: 18.7 C
    Dewpoint 15 C
    Humidity: 79%
    Baro: 1009.3 falling

Hope people of Ireland respect the weather and the advice they’ve been given.

v8ninety

Yellow sky in Birmingham. Warm too, at 18deg

somafunk

Sky is also a sickly yellow here on the coast in sw-scotland but no wind at all,

Yak

I remember the 87 storm. I was watching tiles getting stripped off the houses opposite us and our big apple tree fell over blocking us in. Not that there was anywhere to go, our secondary school lost a few roofs so was shut for quite a while.

theotherjonv

I was in my first year at Durham Univ, having gone up from Oxfordshire early October. Days before mobile phones so I had to call my parents at 7pm every Sunday night with a phone card they’d post up to me in the week. She was frantic to find out if her little boy had survived the storms and of course I’d seen nothing, and with no internet, TV, etc., it had barely even registered that the south was suffering. I think she felt a bit let down TBH.

(frankly, the hurricane could have passed through my Hall of Residence for all we’d have noticed such was the level of consciousness in that first term)

Daffy

Yeah, it’s all sepia here in Bristol.

Scapegoat

Low cloud/fog here in Ripon, not a breath of wind.

legend
    Free Member

It’s times like this when I’m really glad I bought a house on top of a hill…..

bakey

Strange light here in Liverpool too…

Flying to IoM later this afternoon – what are the chances of it being cancelled…

derek_starship
    Free Member

bakey – your flight will be cancelled.

Wind now increasing – 8 mph , high gust of 19 at 11:16.

(data from my Davis weather station on my chimney)

Junkyard
    Free Member

we really have taken talking about the weather to a higher level

midlifecrashes

Well I’ve just put three loads of washing on the line, so I’m hoping for a breeze at least. Very pale light here, 17 deg and 92% humidity. South Yorks.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I remember the 87 storm, 6ft wide beech tree trunks snapped in my parents garden, no power and trees down all over the place, managed to get a lift to Purley by a mate, took hours and we used byways and fields to get there. Got to the station only to be told “no trains”.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Sun’s peeping out in NW Scotland. A ripple of a breeze every now and again.

Jakester
    Free Member
    derek_starship
    Free Member

Look at the barometric pressure on the south west coast of Eire!!

That’s 962 mbar. A real depression.

In Salford it’s currently 1008.8 mbar.

MrOvershoot

bakey – Member

Strange light here in Liverpool too…

Flying to IoM later this afternoon – what are the chances of it being cancelled…

Its very strange the light is almost like its CGI, the BBC NW news did say this morning to expect flights to be cancelled

See here

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Following events on Independent.ie

The TD (=MP?) Danny Healy-Rae came up on the stream.

He might be correct.

Or just a nutter.

😯

arrpee
    Free Member

Deeply strange quality to the light outside here in the West of Scotland. Only seen it a few times before. Slightly green tinge to it. Eerie.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

The orange light today is Saharan Desert dust in the atmosphere bought up by the winds fron the South. Go and check out your car, mine is now covered in a layer of fine sand! :-O

somafunk

It’s went eerily dark on the coast here in sw-scotland and the birds have all fecked off, my garden is usually full of the cheery little buggers fighting over the various bird feeders but it’s spookily quiet at the moment with not a breath of wind.

After this build up i hope it’s going to be a good one, i plan to head out to Carrick bay later to experience the wind n’ sea spray.

MrOvershoot

It’s now almost sunny with patches of blue sky, almost like someone turned the dimmer switch up!

seosamh77
    Free Member

it looks like nearly midnight here! 😆

theotherjonv

sky / light going pinky-orange here now too (Farnham, SW Surrey)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘Well this could be interesting, hurricane ophelia’ is closed to new replies.