Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Well, the Espace is back home after 4-months at the Dealership
  • grtdkad

As above.
    3.0DCi Grand Espace last seen 4th April, returned today, 2nd August after long, long dispute and then lengthy repair. Is this some sort of record?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The record will be set when it goes back in tomorrow 😉

wwaswas

who paid in the end?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I just bought a Kia Sedona.

Utterly fed up with french 5hiter family cars.

3 friends all have the big Kia and love it.

The Espace seems to be the worse.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Dear god, this must be the thread for people who’ve given up on life and are counting down to death.

Jamie
    Free Member

Dear god, this must be the thread for people who’ve given up on life and are counting down to death.

…and yet you still decided to participate.

Pull up a chair, and let’s all wait for the sweet release of death.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Look Daveyboywonder has been watching too many Top Gear repeats on Dave

Try getting you own patter no Clarksons.

PePPeR

I’m another Sedona fan, it’s a big old barge but it can shift along when it wants too!

Shame about your Renault, what went wrong with it? Or is there a link to a previous thread available?

My Son in law borrowed mine the other day and it wouldn’t start so they had to call the RAC out, (it was only a starter lead loose) but whilst they were standing there my daughter was belittling the old Kia and he turned around and told her he got called out to far less Kias breaking down than he did her Ford S-Max 😉 made me chuckle anyway!

Bregante

Surely there are far more S Max on the road than Sedona’s?

grtdkad

Ha, thanks for that Mastiles!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

8)

I’ve had a Citroën, I know the pain of French motoring – 1 yr old car, needed engine rebuild and never worked properly.

grtdkad

Renault have eventually picked up 90% of the costs after a snotty letter to their MD

It all kicked off when the fuel pump developed a fault. Dealer wasn’t confident in the diagnosis so suggested we start with the cheap repair (£2900). If that didn’t work it would have to go back in for a new pump at £3900. Basically experimenting with my cash….

So hopefully resolved now with only minor financial pain.

rs
    Free Member

it cost 3 grand for a fuel pump 😯

spandex_bob

Nearly £4k for a fuel pump?!

PePPeR

Well the pump itself costs around £1200, it’s the clean room fitting and having to replace every single other piece of the fuel system too that costs!

Since we took all the sulphur out of diesel fuel, there is far less lubrication than there used to be, plus they are using far far higher tolerances these days too.

Delphi fuel systems seem more prone to it failure than Bosch although I’ve known both go down.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This explains why Espaces can be had on EBay for pennies.

duntstick
    Free Member

Courtesy car?

P20

I’ve had bad experience with citroen and peugeot, which mean I’ll never buy a French car again. Loaded with kit, pleasant to drive, but nightmare to live with. I’m currently with skoda and it’s a world apart

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah I had a pug too (205, one of the early ones but it was quite new at the time) – the carb stopped working because a vacuum hose in the sunroof broke.

I kid you not.

grtdkad

Yup. Eye watering sums of money. The engine needs to come out which is >£1500 !!!!

grtdkad

Renault uk have come good on a settlement for work on a 2005 car at the end of the day. So car choice next time may be a conundrum.
    Just hope I’m not back on here saying it’s a crock again!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I was stung with an 807 pug.

I would not drive another peugeot even if it was given to me.

Long live the Kia.

To be fair to Renault i have a clio and its been a fab little car, close to 70mpg, 700mile to the tank and so cheap to run.

I think the french do very good small cars but anything bigger than Megan size forget it.

Just never use their dealers to fix anything.

JohnnyPanic

anything bigger or equal to Megan size forget it.

Fixed.

Last car was a Megane. Fool that I was I kept it for 7 years. Eventually it died. Never Renault or French again.

mc
    Free Member

Moral of the story, don’t take your car to an incompetent dealer, which from experience seems to cover most Renault dealers!

Delphi and Bosch systems both have issues.
    Delphi is more likely to give running problems, while Bosch is just likely to stop working.
    If the pump packs in, dealers will cover their arse by saying the complete fuel system needs replaced, but I’ve done and seen plenty pumps done without changing anything else, and never seen any problems as a result of it.

andyl
    Free Member

engine out for a fuel pump?

£4k for a fuel pump?

Crikey!

Maybe the fuel pump has to have a special position to make it safer in a crash 🙄

They really need to make the people who design modern cars live with them for a year and fix anything that goes wrong themselves. That would get them designing cars better and easier to fix.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    engine out for a fuel pump?

If you have the v6 petrol its engine out for spark plugs or so i was told.
    I also belive its engine out for the cam belt on it as well.
    This is one of the reason why we ended up with a Volvo xc90 as a family car.

TheFlyingOx

And this is why I will never buy a) French, or b) new.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have an 04 scenic that has had some minor issues over the years but runs ok. The internal design is spot on if you have kids, shame the engine/electrics are pants.

wwaswas

why not new? If you get something with a long (5+ years) warranty and change car at the end it’s probably the ‘safest’ way of doing it? Would cover stuff like the OP’s problem.

TheFlyingOx

Sorry, but that’s a staggeringly naive way of spending your cash, wwaswas. Not new because although the 5-year warranty might cover £3900 for a new fuel pump, I’m pretty sure I’ll have lost at least 3 times that when I come to trade in.

Buy a £6k second hand car (and £6k gets you A LOT of car on the 2nd hand German/Jap market), pay 2nd hand prices for parts and repairs, don’t bother about dealer servicing, when you fancy a change sell it for £5k and get something else.

Clink

French cars? Had a Citroen Berlingo Multispace 5 years from new nothing ever went wrong (except for me crashing it!!) and we didn’t treat it well. Still being driven locally by new owner. Having said that it was the base version with nothing much to go wrong.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I did have one good French car – a Renault Clio RSi. As above – others have found the Clio to be good.

I was disappointed to see that one go.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Several of my colleagues went through a phase of buying French cars a few years back – all of their cars were crap, including the Laguna which had catastrophic engine failure after a year (entirely new engine required), Berlingo which spent almost a year in the dealership waiting for a new dashboard, and an Espace which effectively consumed my friend’s salary each month with a laundry list of repairs. My espace driving buddy had also bought his wife a 2nd hand Clio, which was the only one out of the lot which didn’t have any major issues.

The thing that baffles me is that people keep buying French cars, despite them having a long-term, consistently bad reputation for reliability and high service costs.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Why do people still buy French cars? They are all, without exception, steaming piles of turd. If you want something cheap and anodyne get something Korean or a Skoda, no?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Oh dear nearly about to push button on Citroen Grand Picasso, *ponders alternatives*

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Bimbler are you mad?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Bimbler are you mad?

+1

Really – buy something else, anything else, just don’t buy a French car!

marsdenman
    Free Member

£4k for a fuel pump?

You could buy a mountain bike for that….. 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

ditch_jockey – Member
    Bimbler are you mad?
    +1

Really – buy something else, anything else, just don’t buy a French car!
    Unless, of course, it is bought assuming it WILL go wrong – ie, spend £X on it rather than £Y on a ‘better’ car and use £Z left over to cover the repairs if needed.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

ahem, ahem

Which? 2011 Car Survey – Most reliable new cars (0 – 3 years old)
    Model Category Ranking / Total models in category
    Scénic MPV 2 / 23
    Mégane Medium 3 / 24
    Modus MPV 7 / 23
    Clio Supermini 7 / 38

You’ve got to love a manufacturer that picks up 90% of the cost of a problem on a 7 year old car – bet if it had been a VW Sharan (paragon of reliability that it isn’t) then VW would have jsut laughed! BTW probably the same Bosch injection kit too…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Well, the Espace is back home after 4-months at the Dealership’ is closed to new replies.