Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Well, the C-word made an early appearance this morning…
  • jekkyl

@r0bh
    that’ll teach you to go looking at people.

portlyone

I’ve had people over take me on the opposite side of the road while I’m about to turn right (after indicating etc etc). It was by no means a kamikaze maneuver, I just don’t think they want to brake at all so accelerated to over take me.

jeffl

Yep had exactly the same issue as PortlyOne. Turning right off a main road, look over my shoulder, signal, double check before moving over and some nutter overtakes on the wrong side of the road opposite the junction.

Fool.

bencooper
    Free Member

A lot of it boils down to something simple – as a cyclist, you’re breaking the car driver’s code that spending more gets you there faster.

That’s why filtering is so unpopular – they’ve paid good money to sit in the traffic jam, you overtaking them is just being provocative.

d4
    Free Member

I think some drivers don’t assess the speed of bikes very well, see a bike and assume it’s going at the speed they cycle. All goes wrong when you are up on them much faster than they anticipate.

edlong
    Free Member

portly / jeff

+1 for me too on that (overtaking a right turning cyclist) one. Couple of days ago, very nearly very nasty.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think some drivers don’t assess the speed of bikes very well, see a bike and assume it’s going at the speed they cycle.

I’ve heard the theory that it’s even more instinctual – a person on a bike looks quite like a person walking (head, torso, legs below), so to the primitive brainstem that makes split-second decisions a cyclist looks like a pedestrian.

vorlich
    Free Member

@mogrim I’m aware that motorways are relatively safe, compared to other roads. But I was think more about lane discipline, etc, which is truly shocking, at least round these parts.

ransos
    Free Member

We’re healthier, wealthier and faster. It’s jealousy, pure and simple.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

for everyone riding up the inside don’t it’s a death trap waiting to happen as already mentioned people don’t use wing mirrors had a few jobs of refuse trucks flattening cyclists turning left at least on offside you have somewhere to go. yes it is potentially as dangerous as you have the oncoming traffic but point is if you don’t you can survive up the inside no chance.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

Why do drivers still try and turn right when I am going straight on, I have actually had words with a woman driver about this, she thought I should have gone onto the motorway slip road, because that is what she was trying to do. Why can they not just wait instead of trying to take us down. Then you get the other drivers that overtake you on the other side of the road, surely my bum is not that big. That’s why I only cycle on the roads, only when I really have to.

lasty
    Free Member

If drivers can`t spot a bloke wearing a yellow jersey and sporting a gold medal what chance have we mere mortals ??

Sorry ….. 🙄

dannyh
    Free Member

I think the homicidal drivers are few and far between, most people are just useless at driving, or on the phone, or putting make-up on, or fiddling with the stereo or etc. etc.

Makes no difference to the poor bastard who is riding the bike, walking across the crossing, driving another car etc.

A lot of people just aren’t scared by the damage they can do when driving a vehicle – and the only point where they do, and are contrite, is when they’ve done some damage and it is too late.

Why are people so thick?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

for everyone riding up the inside don’t

not very helpful when the council puts the cycle lane on the left. i got honked at tonight for over taking on the right, and i’m VERY wary of being on the inside of busses and lorries. but the number of times i’ve had people flash cars across me (inc tonight) is really annoying.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

well no the point it why would you ride up the inside as you are approaching a junction knowing that vehicles would turn left? for example at traffic lights people forever ride up the side to get to the front quicker.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

because the cycle path is there… on the road i ride down ppl turn both left and right… if i avoided the left to avoid ppl turning left, on that assumption i’d also have to avoid going down the right… i might as well then be in a car, as i’d not be able to overtake at all (lots of sideroads on the road in question).

the cycle lane is marked, and therefore drivers should be aware that there might be cyclists there (i’m not saying they will be, of course)

ditto with cycle boxes at traffic lights – they’re at the front as its safer for a cyclist to be at the front of a lane of traffic when the lights change.

IF the lights are about to change, and there’s a bus/lorry to get past to get to the front, i won’t bother, otherwise, i’d rather be at the front, tbh.

toby1

I breathed out on the pavement based cycle lane earlier, I’d just changed direction and the lack of head wind meant my breath steamed up my glasses, as a result I nearl went in to a darkly dressed pedestrian, I bet he called me a c*nt too!

Good luck out there folks, and ride safe!

rewski
    Free Member

I wasn’t going to post this but what the eck, this joker try to force me into the back of a bus, then hurled abuse at me when I caught up with him at lights, seriously dangerous driving out there, waiting to hear from the police not expecting much though.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DOkwwJn16BA[/video]

daveh
    Free Member

Air horn the only answer 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

OP, your post is ambiguous. Did she overtake you and turn left?

lasty
    Free Member

Nearly cleaned a roadie up tonight.
    Static traffic lined up towards me, i was stationary and turned right through a gap left by an unusually considerate chap. Aforementioned roadie comes hammering up the gutter,crap lights and flat out….
    Luckily i was creeping through so managed to anchor on in time but your average muppet would have just swung it across and cleaned him up.
    At the risk of been tarred with the holyer than thou brush some riders just crack on regardless, quite simply – i don`t.
    After years of riding/racing those damn motorcycle things it scares the shit out of me riding in just a lid. I aint to fussed about falling and never really have been, its just what hits you when youre down …..

warton
    Free Member

don’t pass on the inside?
    You’re kidding, right? Have you ever ridden a bike on the road?

I ride on the road every day, and not undertaking is my one absolute rule that I never break. It’s just too dangerous.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I ride on the road every day, and not undertaking is my one absolute rule that I never break. It’s just too dangerous.

Do you include cycle lanes in that?

warton
    Free Member

my commute doesn’t take in any of those afterthought cycle lanes so I can’t say tbh.

good question though. If it was slow moving traffic, and there was one of those cycle lanes, I’d still probably move to the outside and overtake, rather than undertake

derek_starship
    Free Member

fourbanger – yes she overtook me and then hung a left forcing me to brake to avoid impacting the passenger door. Pure reflex responses enabled me to brake and disengage from my SPDs in a flash.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Well, the C-word made an early appearance this morning…’ is closed to new replies.