Well thats a revelation! Drink content – of all types

Home Forum Chat Forum Well thats a revelation! Drink content – of all types

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Well thats a revelation! Drink content – of all types
  • footflaps

Remarkably, there was no performance difference between those that were fully rehydrated and those that got nothing.

Yep, figured that out for myself. I never drank anything when bike racing (up to 2hrs) and my power / HR was consistent lap after lap, no matter how hot it was.

STATO

I never drank anything when bike racing (up to 2hrs) and my power / HR was consistent lap after lap, no matter how hot it was

Not sure it makes a difference to my ‘power’ but being dog thirsty takes away my focus. The other reason i drink a lot is recovery, yes you can try and down a pint of water after but it never seems to work as well as drinking regularly…. at least for me.

Interesting article. However it made me laugh when the author (quite rightly) criticizes marketing dressed up as scientific research but then goes on to mention

the television series I’ve been making

gonefishin

I thought it was fairly well known that this was at best a vast oversimplification. As I recall the actual research said something along the lines of needing an amount of water equivelent to around 8 cups of water but that that was mostly supplied by food and other drinks. I’m surprised that alcohol doesn’t have a dehydrating effect though.

I’m surprised that alcohol doesn’t have a dehydrating effect though.

Well we all used to drink “small beer” as it was safer than the water, but thats alcohol in low concentration. It would be interesting to repeat the beer drinking experiement he mentions with, say, half a bottle of Scotch.

bigyinn

Done the alcohol experiment. Several drams of whisky later and im weeing far more than I would normally, in both volume and frequency, compared to just drinking similar volumes of water.
    Not very scientific, but it made sense to me.

Junkyard

So hangovers are psychosomatic then and not actually real!

I suspect it rather depends on how much alcohol you consume.

I dont drink much in 3-4 hour rides tbh preferring to drink before and after

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

Do you really need to drink 8 cups of water a day?

I’d always thought that was the case, and had been slightly worried that I never managed to achieve it (without needing a pee every half hour anyway).

But it seems the advice may have been, if not flawed, then ‘coerced’ by marketing.

The great news is that ‘Yes, beer and coffee do not dehydrate you to any noticeable extent ‘ and ‘But the great thing is that just like a top-level athlete you don’t need to worry about exactly what that total daily requirement is because your body will sort it all out for you.’

So knocking back 3 or 4 beers after a Thursday night ride probably does me no harm (other than being a bit wobbly on the ride home).

Phew!

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

yeah whisky has amazing powers of making you pee loads!

I find it strange people thought you had to drink x amount y often. I’d still prefer to drink little and often when biking just because necking 500ml in one go is probably going to make me feel a bit sick when exerting myself.

LS

Alcoholic drinks need to be above about 11% before they have any noticeable overall fluid loss effect. So scotch does result in a net loss of water via the diuretic effect but your average beer doesn’t.

ciderinsport

I have discovered that drinking 2-3 pints of cider just before a ride, and 3-4 pints at the half way pub stop removes the need for drinking water whilst riding.

Its an experiment I will continue this evening 🙂

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

I find that a few pints of ale 5 miles from the end of a days ride, helps me get up the last few hills home pretty easily.

Premier Icon chaos
    Subscriber

Whereas I found a pint on the way home here on Saturday just made me want to lie down and sleep.

Is it the raised heart rate or the possible slight dehydration from cycling that accelerates the feeling-slightly-pissed effect?

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

I’m a “sips frequently” type, prefering clear water to that guff I sometimes use thats “flavoured” and “gives no significant effect on hydration nor taste” 😉
    I tried drinking more on rides, found vomiting quite useful for jettisoning excess fluids, though this method often results in the Bunch making sure you ride at the back of the pack or they try breaking you, which has a knock on effect of me pushing harder/drinking more/vomiting more/being pushed out back etc. etc. 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Well thats a revelation! Drink content – of all types’ is closed to new replies.