Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Well that was rubbish….
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

….I was going to give riding a miss this weekend by was tempted out by the mid afternoon sun. What an error!!

….boggy gloop on most BWs (I love horses really :wink:). Generally crap conditions so first thoughts were correct
    ….hit one water filled rut at speed only to find that water was almost as deep as my wheel. Only just made that one!
    …..rear shifter brakes at furthest point from home (in top gear)
    ….two punctures on ride back (forgot tyre levers but got tyres off ok, phew)
    ….long road ride home in top gear. So that is what SS is all about!!!!

Spent a few minutes in Park Tools website but can find the bit about rear shifter. Looks like the plastic barrel at the end of the cabling has snapped. Not sure if that is a DIY or LBS job. Sadly, for me, probably the latter!

Stoner
    Free Member

Looks like the plastic barrel at the end of the cabling has snapped

You dont need it so long as the outer cable ferule stops OK in the mech without it. The adjuster at the shifter end should give you enough to work with (especially on pre-stretched inners) if you set your mech up close enough to start with.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner. The cable is no longer fixed, just slipping through. The shifter has no resistance either.
    Any ideas on web pages with photos that might help? I am trying to get better at mending my bike 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

The cable is no longer fixed, just slipping through

not good.

The shifter has no resistance either.

Inevitable if the outer slides through the rear mech

what model mech? Not sure you’ll find a spare part unless you butcher a donor mech.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I’ll check later. Shimano something. It doesn’t look too good for sure. I want to do a demo next week so could ask LBS to sort it out while I demo a new bike!! Annoying on the ride but also as I am trying to become a bit more savvy re bike mainteneance

Muke
    Free Member

I know what you mean,wasn’t going to bother either but during today’s 3 hours of sunny weather I decided I would avoid the mudfest and so dusted off the Langster and hit the road for a spin. Lots of nodding and hellos with apparent new cyclists out and about on their his n her Halfords £50 heavyweights (good on them for being out there though but how tempting is it to suggest it maybe easier if they were to raise their saddle a bit, maybe I will if I see them again)
    All going well I was even coping with the headwind and then I hit a small pothole whilst going around a bend and that was that snakebite puncture and of course I hadn’t taken a repair kit with me so had to do the walk of shame back home.
    Still it was good while it lasted. 🙂

ononeorange

How did you manage this thing, “speed”? Haven’t been above 3 mph for about 4 months now.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ononeorange – Member
    How did you manage this thing, “speed”? Haven’t been above 3 mph for about 4 months now.

😀 The funny thing was I had minced some earlier puddles and bogs, but there were walkers coming the other way and I hoped that the water (a) was not too deep and (b) no major holes of rocks and couldn’t mince in front of the walkers. So hit the water hard only for the front wheel to almost completely submerge. For a change I got out of the trail spds immediately and stabilised things with my foot! But it was v close to a complete dunking!!!

Very glad that I had two spare inners though as I only have topeak patches at the moment, and I find those crap when compared to park tools ones which are superb in my experience.

Kevevs
    Free Member

it’s a bit hit and miss out there atm. Bit too blowy for my liking round here.. At least you got out 😀

nuke

hit one water filled rut at speed only to find that water was almost as deep as my wheel

You weren’t on a Canyon hardtail on the roman road on Mickleham Downs?

Probably not but I would like to say ‘well done’ to the rider: he went straight through the middle of a massive puddle whilst my family stood and watched, rapidly realising it was a lot deeper than expected but still kept going…chapeau to you 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No nuke, cant claim the credit for that. I wasn’t far away (geographically) but sounds like this guy was a much better rider than me!

I started MTB really as a winter alternative to road biking, but days like today make you wonder why you bother. Crap conditions, more mech aggro to the bike, more money to spend, not doing the trails any good either!!

But on the plus side, realised that SS riding gives you a better aerobic workout!! 😉

smartmonkey
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Cheers Stoner. The cable is no longer fixed, just slipping through. The shifter has no resistance either.
    Any ideas on web pages with photos that might help? I am trying to get better at mending my bike
    Go on show us a picture or what broke. I’ve got a dead Shimano derailur here that may give up the bit you need

SM

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Smartmonkey – as you may have guessed, I am not a technical guy but will take a photo tomorrow if I find time and then try to work out this uploading malarky

The broken bit is where the rear cable goes through a plastic tube/bracket that is attached to the rear mech. It looks like it has snapped and the cable is a little damaged towards the end. There is no tension in the cable as a result and an “empty” feel to the shifter.

It happened not long after the water incident and after a long stretch of nasty gloop. I think the whole mech got covered in too much general gunk and something just got caught and this was the bit of least resistance?

bland

You cant beat a good franken-mech!

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeh! show us yer franken-mechs! I don’t suggest singlesapeeding, it’s a right knackering pain in the arse.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Well that was rubbish….’ is closed to new replies.