Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Well, that was horrible
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d decided to have a wee Pentlands “shake down” spin on my fatbike yesterday afternoon. It was grim! Horizontal blizzard, powder snow up to 18″ deep, deep & muddy puddles. Numerous tweaking and leaking tube and shock required numerous stops 🙁

Quite a laugh though, despite falling into a puddle at the start and getting proper wet (the ebayer who’d sold me the spds had one side tight and the other really slack 😕 ) but at least my jacket didn’t stay wet- it froze 😡 along with my beard 😎

Untitled by alan cole, on Flickr

Bike works OK, 2″ taller BB is a bit of a drawback. I’d glue a second BB shell underneath the existing one but my guess it’d **** up the suspension and of course create front mech issues.

Untitled by alan cole, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well this has gone down well! 🙁

messiah
    Free Member

Well this has gone down well!

It’s a Marin… on STW… what were you thinking would happen 🙄

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Looks good fun … did you have a flask with you? It’s rides like that when it’s good to stop and sit with a cuppa and a choccy biscuit. Twas a bit grim coming up the cyclepath to work this morning, feet still soaked. Friday looking interesting for Edinburgh.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Loving the homage to that well known photo…

Looks ace Al!! 🙂

Drac

Hahah firs thing I thought of too Teetosugars

munrobiker
    Free Member

Needs moar close ups of structural cutlery, that’ll get the crowds rushing in.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hahah firs thing I thought of too Teetosugars

Great minds an all that!!

Oh, I’ve just put an order in for a frame bag.. Fancy some bivi trips up your way soon??

bigyinn
    Free Member

Been through some boggy stuff looking at the amount of crud inside the rim!
    Frozen beard? Nice.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I’d glue a second BB shell underneath the existing one

😯

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – I’d love to see some details of what you did to the Marin to make it fat!

globalti
    Free Member

Jeeze! Even the bike got stuck to your beard.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Search me old threads mate!

Cougar

Looks like you’ve blown a seal.

nicko74

munrobiker – Member

Needs moar close ups of structural cutlery, that’ll get the crowds rushing in.
    That was my first thought… 🙂

ski
    Free Member

Well I like the look of that, Marin or not, looks like a top shelf botch to me.

cynic-al – did you have to mod the rear end to get that tire in?

aracer
    Free Member

Oooh, Marin fatbike. Like!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey even I can’t find the thread!

I had to chop up the rear triangle to off set the dropouts and add sections to create clearance (length and width) for the tire. It does actually work though it’s slightly borderline in terms of the chain rubbing the tyre (still on 68mm bb, I stuck a 88mm DH crankset in there with spacers) and the BB height.

wwaswas

Looks like you’ve blown a seal

don’t know about the seal but al’s clearly quite pleased with the result.

cynic-al
    Free Member
    spooky_b329

Just as a comparison for an extreme opposite of both weather and bike, I got out for a rare ‘after work’ ride yesterday evening, first time off-road on my cross bike…it was lovely. Just shorts and jersey, didn’t even need a windproof :p Just a few looming rain clouds to encourage me to keep pedalling…

mangatank
    Free Member

A bit slow in getting to this, but this was yesterday, a few miles from the Pentlands. Great fun! (edit…IMG links might be broken?)

scaredypants

Al, your bike clearly has gears and 26 inch rims – what’s with the beard ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

Al, your bike clearly has gears and 26 inch rims – what’s with the beard ?

It’s a Marin…

scaredypants

ah, yes, good point mr woppit 😳

carry on Al, well done

rossi46
    Free Member

Or a penguin 😆

Liking the Fat Marin, something different is always good 😀

patriotpro
    Free Member

A Yeti riding a Marin.

RustyMac

Is the 2″ higher BB due to the fat tyre or the alterations made?

Do you have further plans to re-re-jig the rear to lower the BB or is it ride it like you stole it time?

brakes
    Free Member

:reported for creation of offensive mental images:

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rusty the BB height is due to the 2″ extra on the tyres only. As I said I may try lowering the BB but that would **** up the suspension…

…unless I chopped the down tube and seat tube and bridged the gap with some CF 😛

JoeG
    Free Member

Al – I like what you have done with the Marin. I’d love to fat a full suspension bike, but most are aluminum so would need heat treating after welding, which is probably not realistic.

RustyMac

Al could you not drop the BB by re-jigging the rear triangle ?

What I am thinking is at the point where you have added the sections to widen the rear triangle you could change the angle towards the rear hub very slightly to drop the BB height.

I think this would also slacken the seat tube and head tube which may not be advantageous but not knowing the angles it is impossible to comment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rusty I could but I’d need to lengthen the chainstays to keep the clearance up and it would also slacken the bike hugely:

2″ BB drop = ~3″ hub rise = ~4 degrees slacker.

The HA is already ~67 degrees, if only I could shorten the head tube!

RustyMac

Ah right, not knowing the angles and stuff i didn’t know if it would work, i guess not.

Could you not find a half way house by adjusting the rear end a little and dropping the tyre pressures a bit ❓ 😉 ❓

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Well, that was horrible’ is closed to new replies.