Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Well, that was fun……
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Before the novelty wears off, here’s a quite bit of praise for the good ol’ British weather.

Had a two and a half hour local blast this morning in pretty heavy rain, after at least 36 hours of continual rain. I thought I’d do a ‘skills-sharpening’ ride rather than getting the miles in, so I stuck to the woods and local runs.

It was an absolute joy to be out, getting cacked up to the eyeballs chucking the bike around on local stuff that had become tame over the summer months. No more using longitudinal roots as ‘catches’ in corners, oh no, they are now poised to bite back.

No more just blasting straight through rocks and roots without at least bracing for a slide.

It makes the post-ride shower and vat of sugary tea even more enjoyable.

Post-ride cleanup notwithstanding (outer layer of clothing having to be hosed down in the garden), that was a lot of fun. Can’t wait to be out again in the dark on Wednesday night.

Obviously the novelty will wear off as trench foot sets in, but for now I’m as happy as a pig in sh1t.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Hear hear!

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes, now I’ve got to go to B&Q with my daughter in tow (which I actually don’t mind), so my missus can cope with our son who has spent all morning winding her up. The resulting thunderous mood is not for the faint-hearted.

How the mighty are fallen!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Well, I borrowed a friends CX bike this weekend to see if it was definitely a worthwhile investment for me. For various reasons I couldn’t get out on it yesterday while the sun was shining so had to force myself out in the pouring, relentless rain today.

Had a bloody great time. Got myself waterproofed up as best as I could, set out on road for about 7 miles to my local woods (fairly flat and muddy) and spent 2 hours blasting round, getting plastered in mud, soaked through to the bone and generally grinning from ear to ear during every sketchy moment that I nearly piled head first into a muddy puddle. Back home on road covered from head to toe in mud with folk looking at me like I was some sort of crazy swamp monster. Fantastic morning.

Sadly I now have to clean my mates bikes before he picks it up tonight.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve just combined two of my favourite things to make the next wet ride even more enjoyable, those two things being home made bike accessories and saving cash.

My muckynutz bender fender just hasn’t quite been cutting it with regards to keeping the cack out of my eyes. Now I’ve just made an elongated version from a plastic filing cabinet divider, having used the shorter one as a kind of template. A spray of GT85 rubbed off of the underside should make it hard for mud to stick.

I’m going to manufacture another one to protect my new reverb when it arrives, so winter should not see normal service being interrupted at all.

Roll on Wednesday night for a group night ride and more slip sliding amusement.

Cracking stuff.

Northwind

Proper scottish weather ride today- dust and axle deep mud, too hot one minute and drifting rain the next. Ace

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

makecoldplayhistory – Member
    Hear hear!

Can I just say how glad I am to see this replacing the old, rather hackneyed “+1”?

However, could I please ask for proper punctuation? It should be “Hear, hear!”. The comma is everything.

dannyh
    Free Member

Ah Flashy, good to see another person on here has some standards when it comes to spelling and grammar.

Maybe I’m a pedant, but I don’t think there is anything wrong with pointing out bad spelling or grammar to people. I’d much rather be pulled up for a mistake on here than carrying on and doing it somewhere like work.

The rogue apostrophe is my current bête noire.

devs
    Free Member

Well we’ve had 2 gorgeous days of sunshine this weekend and dusty trails. It’s been amazing.

garage-dweller

Even the road was fun today!!!!

I had forgotten how slidey a road bike could be in the wet. Had a couple of minor sideways moments and a good degree of nervousness on today’s ride and I am a relative wuss as I try to get my head back in to skinny rubber.

I can barely remember being that wet on a bike after this summer.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Yep out in the 4hr weather window(no rain)we had round here at midday very slippy and some monster puddle all good fun mind you did come back looking like I had been dipped in a very large vat of mud made the long hot shower and multiple coffees even better 🙂

chip
    Free Member

Stuck some beavers on my hardtail yesterday in anticipation of an early morning blast around local woods tomorrow.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nah this weather is still crap!

Northwind

dannyh – Member

The rogue apostrophe is my current bête noire.

RACIST

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Well, that was fun……’ is closed to new replies.