Well, that was a disappointment…

• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by  b r.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Well, that was a disappointment…
  • Lovely bright, crisp day. Clear skies and sun on the frosty ground. Opportunity for a nice day off doing a bit of riding on my own. What could be better…..?

Went to LBS last night to check why I was having problems adjusting new trail spd’s. Turns out the head of the allen key they sold me a few months ago was rounded off. Starting to notice a bit of a trend here and time for new LBS methinks. Too many return visits, too many adjustments required, one thing after another….still, I digress.

So decide to go over to Leith Hill to session some of the bomb holes between cricket pich and Deliverance followed by some longer trails. Parked at Holmbury to get a nice warm up ride up TGW and to the Tower. First problem, chain constantly slipping in bottom two gears in middle ring. Was serviced by different LBS recently to sort this our…..grrh. A least it’s only a gradual climb not a v steep one, so third gear ok for the most part and got me a little warmer than usual at High Ashes.

Then bike starts a ghostly wailing sound going up hill at slow speeds. Weird noise as if from Alien and slightly embarrassing when passing walkers. I guess a portable ghetto blaster could have been slightly more annoying for them. Makes me think something is seriously wrong at the front end. Took the wheel off, checked brakes..no sign of anything.

Then the trails and bomb holes turned out to gloopy and not much fun at all. Plus finding new trail pedals a pain if/when lose momentum on a short steep lip and can’t get my foot out. Quite a few stupid slow speed tumbles into mud, water and some v spikey logs :-(. Cue ripped trousers and cut leg.

Gave up on the sessioning and decided to go down to WL (boggy run from top of Deliverance down – cant remember name). Top of Summer Lightening com plenty frozen which was nice as I was the first one through all the puddles. But who fattened the step out on the top section? That was always a nice little jump with the choice of which side of the tree afterwards. Flat as a pancake now. Then the mid/bottom section was just gloop, so apart from close encounter with beautiful deer, no fun. Climb back up to the Tower accompanied bu Alien soundtrack again only a lot louder this time. Quick run down windy willows (I think) which was OK but then started climb back up to Tower and the chain snaps! Bllx, no spare links with me. So slow freewheel down to the Lane and down TGW back to Holmbury – good job that was mostly DH, but absolutely frozen by the end.

So all in all, a good day spoiled. It’s days like today that make me wonder why I bother with Mtb at all πŸ™

Sounds like it might be worth carrying a few more spares, and learning to do some of the more basic maintenance stuff yourself.

And it’s worth it for the good days.

Carry most things just forget the chain links!!!

Through default, I am learning more and more about bike maintenance every ride πŸ˜‰ But it’s not my forte by any means. But bloody irritating when you take bikes to LBS to have specific thing sorted out and they are still there on next ride.

going to try Nirvana in Westcott for a change. The young guy in there was really nice today but needed to bring bike home to clean it first. I will see if they c an sort out my Alien bike wi it’s skipping gears.

Premier Icon TimP
    Subscriber

At least you got out. Had holiday cancelled last minute on Wednesday as my holiday form wasn’t signed and so it hadn’t gone through the system. Turns out my boss had misplaced my form, but I only found out today when I was trying to finalise my holidays before I leave at C*******s.

True Tim and the views were almost worth it. Plus deer was really beautiful and so close. Sorry to hear about your hassles.

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

Today was a day for just enjoying the view. Was up on Ranmore this morning just after 8am. It was just beautiful. And there are plenty of dry-ish trails if you know where to look.

I’d really advise buying a bike maintenance book or just going online to learn the basics of maintaining your own bike. Even good bike shops are no replacement for knowing what’s wrong and being able to fix it yourself. Sounds like you’d have saved yourself a lot of hassle today if you’d had a chain tool and a bit of knowledge.

Good point – any recommendations that I could pass on for a Xmas present? Must be for mechanical dummies with limited tools!! πŸ˜‰

Kevevs

sometimes preparing for a great day out turns into poo. The best days, for me, are those sponaeneous “are you coming out to play?” type days, like when you were a kid.

wrecker

Remember all of those brilliant rides? Hooning down quiet, tacky trails riding right on the edge of your ability?
    Well this is the yang to that yin. You can’t have one without the other.

JCL

So you spent all day riding trails that are fu*cked only to fu*ck them more. Great.

rewski

park tools do a really comprehensive book, recommended by the mechanics at my lbs, they also pointed me to a shimano site for mechanics, exploded diagrams and step by step instructions, very useful.

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

But bloody irritating when you take bikes to LBS to have specific thing sorted out and they are still there on next ride.

This is because the environment is completely different, you need to be able to adjust stuff while out riding, not blame it on someone working in a warm clean workshop spining the drivetrain while the bike is in a workstand.

Did you not have a chain tool with you? Easy to bodge a chain together that will get you home without a spare link…

bike is a bag of knackers = pain the arse to ride shocker

tealeith

Don’t kick the guy while he’s down, constructive criticism and some advice is fine but we’ve all been there surely?

As for the comment essentially roasting him for riding in the mud and making it worse… well we’d better all stop riding for the next few months then ‘cos it’s like this everywhere at the moment.

trail_rat

Triathlete cant change gear shocker πŸ™‚

Easy guys, I can sort out a chain but had taken different sac with only some of my normal tools. Plus gave e disc brakes a good check out on the trail. Triathletes πŸ˜‰ sort out more thatn punctures, but not much more!!!

JCL – I agree about the trails which is why I was cutting the day short. Given the frozen ground I expected the conditions to be better and less harm done. But guilty a charged and sadly have never served in the SAS…will school cadets get me off?!?

My comment re LBS Nick was that I have had several services recently to address specific problems. Advised needed new parts, took their word for it, and problems still there. So lessons learned indeed. Time to give another one (nirvana) a go and I have no problem supporting LBS. What goes around…..

Thanks tealeith – is this your local playground going by the name?

Thanks rewski – that does seem to be the best book. I hope they keep it simple!

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

So you spent all day riding trails that are fu*cked only to fu*ck them more. Great.

Love the community spirit around here.

BikePawl

The Park Tools book is very good, they have the same info on their website if your a cheapskate.

adyp

Park Book Link Cheaper on amazon.com in the states though.

They also do some good stuff on their website here.

HTH

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

But who fattened the step out on the top section? That was always a nice little jump with the choice of which side of the tree afterwards.

Ah you mean the log, yeah that was a shame. Pointless trail sanitisation.

Premier Icon TimP
    Subscriber

Oh and I know they aren’t massive hassles, I forgot to put in that I had my ride cancelled on we’d which was why it was annoying. I am out this week for definite and the week after!

allthepies

Park Tool website seconded. Bike maint. is basically p*ss easy. Unless you’re really time-poor then there’s no need to use a LBS for basic maintenance. IMO πŸ™‚

tealeith

Teamhurtmore, yep live on Leith Hill thus the (trying to be witty) name. It is truly filthy up here at the moment as you discovered. It basically rains constantly and is the muddiest I have seen it, just no time to drain. I’m hoping for some frozen mud this weekend so I can finally get some time on my new Yelli Screamy!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Well, that was a disappointment…’ is closed to new replies.