Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Well that escalated quickly
  • D0NK

Took little un (2.5) for a walk, an innocuous unofficial little path behind some houses at the top of a 20-30ft embankment above a river, come to a little steep bit up and around a tree, holding little one on my hip, grab a tree branch above us and start to walk up the slope, next second my feet have just gone from under me, branch ripped out of my grasp, I’m sliding back down trail on my hands and knees, little one has toppled backwards out of my arms and is heading off the side of the embankment.

Shiiiiiiiii

grabbed at his jacket and caught him thankfully. getting back up the slope was a very nervous affair after that my heart going ten to the dozen worried same would happen again. He seems ok I’m still a bit nervous.
    Scary shit.
    (Awaits irresponsible parent flaming)

Jamie
    Free Member

D0NK, earlier:

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Sh*t happens. You’re both ok which is the most important thing.

Chalk it off as a life lesson.

(Oh and don’t mention it to the wife, she will rip you a new……)

D0NK

Jamie harsh 🙂
    Mosey in these situations I generally either fess up straight away or tell her such an obvious whopper of a lie she decides she’s probably better off not knowing the truth. Either we’re both sat here covered in mud when she gets back or we’ve both suspiciously got changed in the 2 hours she’s been out, she’ll know something’s happened 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m not actually suggesting you’re bad parent.

Assume the 15 minute editing window hasn’t elapsed, and I have edited my previous post to remove the offending gif.

D0NK

No worries Jamie I expected some stick 🙂

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Sorry Donk you a bad Parent!
    what where you thinking taking a kid out in some fresh air and have a bit of a adventure and getting a bit muddy and teach him a bit of the outside world.

you should of stayed inside, sit on the sofa and not moved, playing computer games or watching DVDS, while eating crisps/choc and drinking pop. Now that’s a proper parent!

Harry_the_Spider

You’ll be taking them down a BMX track on a balance bike next you bad man.

The one in Queens Park, Heywood is good for this. Apparently.

Jamie
    Free Member

No worries Jamie I expected some stick

In that case, then I am suggesting you’re a bad parent 😛

Could be worse…

D0NK

Could be worse…

now that’s awesome!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

He doesn’t even run after her!

aracer
    Free Member

You haven’t got any other clothes similar enough that she won’t notice the difference?

Longarmedmonkey

Why not drag him around a local supermarket on a Saturday morning. That seems to be the done thing here. Then he can either look bored or scream at the top of his lungs; fun for everyone I think you’ll agree.

Seriously though. Glad it did not end in tragedy and he did have an adventure.

crankboy
    Free Member

2 weeks before Xmas I let crankbrat 2.5 walk up a flight of concrete steps unsupervised he got to the top wobbled like a drunk and fell backwards fortunately turning as he fell cue black eye and a lump the size of a golf ball. My wife took it better than I did. As others have said far better being out and getting in to scrapes than raising a pint sized couch potato.

D0NK

Aracer, no chance, she’d notice, she was ok with it when I ‘fessed up anyway. Frightening how quick it turned scary tho. Cheers for the other stories/support. Crankboy how was the guilt? Bet you felt like shit for a while huh?

TheFlyingOx

D0NK’s child now they’re back at home, just to make sure nothing else untoward occurs:

popstar
    Free Member

Once, we had a lovely walk around Swinley forest. Was inspecting rad lines for DH. Went down the slope with pushchair, those damn things once go downhill don’t break or steer. Learnt it the hard way, as trying to control it DH i fell like a loser biatch overturning whole buggy with 8month old inside it. Infront of my wife eyes. Baby was fastened, no one gone hurt. I busted my knee and recovered with pride. For a week was limping. She kept nagging all that time.

Plenty of bad parents around.

JoeG
    Free Member

Sounds like wearing helmets saved both of your lives!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t beat yourself up DONK , it happens. I was skiing with my sons a few years ago in US. We decided to climb a ridge to get to some off piste skiing, it’s was a simple climb with icey footholds all the way up. Younger son lost a footing, I missed him and he was off. Caught a pole which hurt his back but saved him disappearing for ever. We were all shook up and lucky that we got away with it. Bloody lucky, Count your blessings and move on.

CountZero

My mum was carrying my (then) baby brother on the patio area out the back, tripped and fell with him, and broke his arm!
    You can imagine how she felt. 🙁
    Good thing social services didn’t exist then, (60’s), like they do now, otherwise he’d have probably been taken into care!

Jamie
    Free Member

Good thing social services didn’t exist then, (60’s), like they do now, otherwise he’d have probably been taken into care!

…or probably not.

takisawa2

Don’t beat yourself up OP.

I dislocated my youngest lads elbow putting a glove on.
    I tipped the trailer once, towing the eldest hone from Nursery.

samuri
    Free Member

All of life’s experiences are a lesson. This one tells your lad you’re not to be trusted. 😉

crankboy
    Free Member

The guilt was massive it was the end of a week in which I had my own brush with mortality we had a big hug in tears sat behind our front door two hours later the postman knocked to say I’d left my keys on the outside. Crankgirl was a star a nd very non judgmental as were casuality.

globalti
    Free Member

I was taking Gti Junior for a ride on his tagalong and wobbled a bit setting off at a roundabout; the wobble got amplified by the flexibility of the link and the tagalong threw him off, right in front of the car behind us. No harm done but I felt terrible. Another time he came flying down a BW on his small bike towards a bridge at the bottom with an unguarded drop into a 20′ deep rocky ravine. Luckily he made the slight curve and ended up on the bridge but I still shudder at what could have happened if he’d lost control.

D0NK

The Flying Ox – Member
    D0NK’s child now they’re back at home, just to make sure nothing else untoward occurs:

i **** wish, really not my day for showcasing my parenting skills (or lack of). We were chasing each other around the front room later on, while running away from me he looked back at me and fell over. innocuous looking fall he stopped crying pretty quick while sat on couch but 10mins later ge couldnt put his weight on his foot when he tried to get off couch. must have landed funny coz A&E said he’s broke a bone in his foot. Nothing too bad, no displacement, bandage for now and an appointment with orthopaedics in the week. FFS! Guilt trip ahoy.

Some of your stories sound scarier, glad everything worked out ok.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Strikes DONK off babysitter list

Your going to be on a sure start better parenting course next week 😉

D0NK

Tell me about it, nightmare!

hooli

Been there, done that 🙁 Dislocated my youngest sons shoulder lifting him up onto a retaining wall, we had done is 10 or 15 times already where I would lift him up, he would run around, down the stairs before I lifted him back up again. On this one, his one hand slipped and out popped his shoulder.

I still feel terrible about it years later.

DezB
    Free Member

As a good parent, remember it’s your duty to take photographic evidence of any injuries to your kids.
    So they can laugh about it later 🙂

My boy after being run over by his own pushchair when mummy didn’t strap him in…

spacemonkey

I tipped the trailer once, towing the eldest hone from Nursery.

I thought it was only me who had done that. I feel better now 😉

spacemonkey

Another time he came flying down a BW on his small bike towards a bridge at the bottom with an unguarded drop into a 20′ deep rocky ravine.

Monkey jnr (3.5yrs) spent an hour hurtling around Leith Hill yesterday, and had me marvelling at his handling skills 🙂 Until the final run when he noticed the “bridge” into the car park had a step-up … he didn’t know what to do and steered straight into the post! Thankfully no damage done.

He had his first big ‘off’ in a BMX/skate park last summer. Happily going up and down the ramps etc, then suddenly he opts for the line with a 2ft drop 😕 Proper OTB chin-splat. Bit of a cry and that was that. My fault though as I didn’t react in time to his change in direction.

chomp
    Free Member

My eldest broke his elbow when he was about 4 falling off a slide (he’d got to the bottom fine). He said it really hurt and some busybody told me he might’ve broken it (I told her to mind her own, and that he was fine). I got him to move his arms about and windmill etc to prove it wasn’t broke which he did with no problems other than moaning that it hurt.

Got back to car, he said he was tired and wanted to go home for a nap (it was midday and this was v unusual) so called wife, went to A&E and then he should’ve been rushed in to have it all wired back together but as I’d force fed him jaffa cakes to make him feel better they had to wait til that night before they could operate (this made wife doubly happy as you can imagine)

I get stick constantly for this every time I say “we’re going to the park” I’m still of the mind that it was all his fault, and that any idiot should be able to get off a slide without hurting themselves.

I then broke my humerous just after he got his wires removed skateboarding so it gave the wife something else to moan at me about.

D0NK

My boy after being run over by his own pushchair

ouch! that reminds me, eldest busted his lip at the swimming baths, got him changed sat him on the bench while I got dressed he tried to get off, the bench but it was too high for his feet to touch floor so his legs went backwards and he faceplanted, got a fat lip then a couple days later did the same thing while his mum was in charge, extra double stupidly fat lip, not got the pics to hand but they are around somewhere. When they get injured on the mrs’ watch I’m pretty calm and never give her gyp, I know I’ll **** up even worse sooner or later.

DezB
    Free Member

legs went backwards and he faceplanted, got a fat lip then a couple days later did the same thing while his mum was in charge

Ah, indeed- my boy did the same at the hell on earth that is Disneyland Paris. I sat on a fence, so he hopped up to do the same… whoops, splat!
    Got a photo of that somewhere too.. 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

There’s nothing worse than seeing your own child injured. My son fell off his bike on the C2C and nutted a tree. I came round the corner and found him unconscious in the mud, bleeding from his nose. I can still see it now and it still distresses me.

Harry_the_Spider

My lad back in 2011.

Getting it right. 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5fpN0CRNrA[/video]

Getting it wrong. 🙁

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocSY6QsSnzg[/video]

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Well that escalated quickly’ is closed to new replies.