Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 1,006 total)
  • Well scotland didnt get independance, thread
  • imnotverygood

One of the interesting things about the Yes psychology is that throughout the campaign they seemed to think they were winning, and now they have lost, they still seem to act like they won.

piemonster

Some pretty ridiculous and I’ll judged facebook status flying around at the minute.

I’m not sure indirectly referring to life long friends as”disgusting” “stupid” “traitors” “ruled by fear and ignorance” and many more is the best thing to do.

Interesting times ahead to see how the 45 manifests itself.

At the minute,and judging by their profile pictures, they’re manifesting themselves quite badly.

As before the vote, the behavioural differences between the two camps is stark. You’d easily think there was only one type of voter, but the others are there.

I appreciate the passion that’s been put into this by friends in both camps. But expressions of disgust at those that voted differently, which includes many friends is in no way going to achieve anything positive.

piemonster

One of the interesting things about the Yes psychology is that throughout the campaign they seemed to think they were winning, and now they have lost, they still seem to act like they won.

I’m inclined to wonder if this may have been the result of a campaign tactic to create a sense of momentum.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    athgray
    Free Member

I agree piemonster, however I am putting down to the fact we are still in the immediate aftermath and passions are running high. Things would have been the same had the result gone the other way. I hope to see Yes passion and vision channelled positively to help keep the debate prominent throughout the UK.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well said PM!

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Just be aware that minus the over 65. The vote was actually 54% yes.
    If you discount the people that don’t agree with me, then everyone agrees with me! So I must be right!

that’s not what I’m saying in the slightest. I’m saying that you can come to a lot of conclusions by understanding that stat. Two are that, pensions was the deciding issue, and that for the under 65s traditional medias reach is significantly waining.

You can view that in a nationalist context or extrapolate it to a wider UK context. The message is there for all.

You argued you were losing your political allies. Come and join the 45.

bearGrease

bencooper – Member
    The UK’s third city doesn’t want to be in the UK.

What! Greater Birmingham doesn’t want to be in the UK any more? Someone tell the BBCRussia Today!

Always worth checking your facts. Glasgow is not the UK’s third city.
    Edit in bold.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Incidently, people are saying that’s democracy. Absolutely, I understand and accept that.

Democracy is also transient.

bearGrease

Democracy is also transient

So are you taking up the armed struggle?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

53% of the 75% who voted didn’t want to be part of the UK.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bearGrease – Member
    Democracy is also transient

So are you taking up the armed struggle?what, care to explain that utterly confunding leap you just made?

piemonster

Am I right in thinking that for the total Scottish electorate, that Yes achieved votes from 37.77%

Which would put No on 46.74%

Edited,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That was the glasgow numbers

piemonster

Sorry, wasn’t questioning the numbers. You just instigated a train if thought as to what the percentages are for the total electorate.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/scotland-decides/results

Votes %
    NO 2,001,926 55.30
    YES 1,617,989 44.70
    TARGET TO WIN 1,809,958 N/A
    After 32 of 32 counts
    Electorate
    Turnout
    84.59%
    Rejected ballots

piemonster

I dropped a couple of minor bits. But including those that didn’t vote it’s more or less rightish.

bearGrease

Mike

Glasgow is not the UK’s third city.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes, but i’m not going to edit other peoples posts when I quote them.

unknown
    Free Member

I’m not disgusted by no voters, except the ones in George Square last night, but I am disappointed in them. And in the media coverage that influenced them. This has made me question my identity, part of me doesn’t recognise this Scotland and that’s hard to deal with.

I’d like to know what the split among Scottish-born voters was. I’m not for a suggesting that others shouldn’t have been allowed to vote, I’d just be interested to see if native Scots (for want of a better term) were more or less Yes than the full electorate.

As another aside, the media coverage has been an eye-opener. Makes you question how reporting on other news and events is distorted. I don’t know where to go for honest, impartial coverage of any news now, not the BBC that’s for sure.

Junkyard
    Free Member

FTFY 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d just be interested to see if native Scots (for want of a better term) were more or less Yes than the full electorate.

Perhaps they just identify as British before Scottish.

bearGrease

yes, but i’m not going to edit other peoples posts when I quote them.

Eh? No editing of other peoples posts going on here. Just pointing out inaccuracies. I guess UK’s fifth, maybe fourth, city doesn’t sound as impressive as the original, inaccurate statement.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

unknown – Member
    I’m not disgusted by no voters, except the ones in George Square last night, but I am disappointed in them. And in the media coverage that influenced them.

Were they not able to make up their own minds? Did they not believe what was in “Scotland’s Future”?

bearGrease

utterly confunding leap

Ummmmm….confunding????? Is that an SNP economic formula?

Edit: Again no editing of the original quote.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

whatever, I was quoting what somebody else said.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There is an irony in complaining about London’s excess influence while ignoring how concentrated the YES vote was in Scotland by location.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sarcasm Aside I have no idea why you are getting grief for quoting someone else who got it wrong and you are correct

AD

All the ‘native’ born Scots I know voted NO. I only know two ‘non-native’ Scots who were eligible to vote – they both voted YES (a bit like Ben – they seemed hugely enthusiastic about independence as a concept).
    Incredibly unscientific but IME just because someone was born in Scotland doesn’t mean they would automatically vote yes. The ‘natives’ I know are incredibly patriotic – they truly love Scotland they just also believe in a United Kingdom. I think that some of the YES voters on here have a real problem with this concept. Salmond exploited this to perfection.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well said AD.

5thElefant
    Free Member

There is an irony in complaining about London’s excess influence while ignoring how concentrated the YES vote was in Scotland by location.

You’d have had more people vote yes in London than Glasgow if they’d had the vote.

unknown
    Free Member

I said I was disappointed in them because I believe they were wrong. They believe I was wrong to vote yes. That’s democracy and time will tell who was right.

My experience is the opposite of ADs, of everyone I know I can only think of 3 no voters, that’s way I’d be interested to know the stats (which don’t exist anyway).

seosamh77
    Free Member

unknown – Member
    the stats (which don’t exist anyway).

And shouldn’t exist IMO.

aracer
    Free Member

Thankfully it is large enough to not lead to it being questioned as to legitimacy

Try telling that to all the people complaining the vote was rigged
    https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/independent-enquiry-for-scottish-referendum-vote-count

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would rather not try and reason with them but I wish you the very best of luck …you may just need that straw man pic

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oh dear the internet must be lonely

Why is this important?

I and others believe the campaign was rigged.
    It’s wrong because I don’t agree with it 🙁

seosamh77
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Thankfully it is large enough to not lead to it being questioned as to legitimacy
    Try telling that to all the people complaining the vote was rigged
    https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/independent-enquiry-for-scottish-referendum-vote-count

no one I know thinks it was rigged. God knows where they get their numbers from. I suspect its not restricted to Scotland.

aracer
    Free Member

I would rather not try and reason with them

I don’t think they even understand the concept of reason!

doh
    Free Member

Forget the distinction between native or not I would love to see the stats on voters wealth or what football team supported

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there was a bunch of stuff on the BBC I think on voter groupings, a lot was done from the area and polls but there was some correlation between earning and preference but there were also a lot of other factors.

sherry
    Free Member

I think the media coverage and scare tactics pre voting was disgraceful. It makes me question the morality of Britain. Are we really free democratic thinkers? There was a clear agenda for the no campaign and I fear it was shear financially driven. I think if there was no money to be gained from Scotland in the UK we (Scotland) would happily be cut lose.

The facts are for me, the government lied in the past and continues to lie. The 1979 referendum proved that. The people were told they could not support themselves and the oil was on its way out. The dossier that has since been released after been kept secret has spoiled that lie. And guess what the oil is still there.

There will come a day when there will be no financial gain for the UK in Scotland and maybe the truth will out regarding how loyal the UK will be to Scotland.

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 1,006 total)

The topic ‘Well scotland didnt get independance, thread’ is closed to new replies.