Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Well overdue speeding ticket – what’s next?
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

My nephew was visiting from the USA over Christmas and managed to get a speeding ticket in his hire car. He was doing 36Mph in a 30.
    He got the paperwork in January and has only just told me about it and didn’t send back the paperwork he should have. He’s an idiot. He lives in the USA and is only likely to visit a few times in the next 10 or so years or transit through when travelling.
    What happens next? I don’t think he’s had anything other than the initial notice. Can he still pay the fine or is it way past that now? Cheers

Tom-B
    Free Member

I got done for speeding, took them an age to send me the fine. In the meantime I’d gone off traveling. Fast forward 6 months I got home to a couple of letters from the old bill. They weren’t that fussed tbh!

Rightly or wrongly if I was your nephew I’d just ignore it!

scaredypants

I can’t believe the hire car company hasn’t paid it and billed/charged him already – or don’t they do that any more ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lazgoat
    Free Member

I don’t think he’s heard any more from them, but he’s feeling a bit guilty at the moment.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’ll probably just go away.

spacemonkey

I can’t believe the hire car company hasn’t paid it and billed/charged him already – or don’t they do that any more ?

IME the hire company will forward the claim onto the driver. That’s what Enterprise did with mine 5yrs ago.

hugo
    Free Member

Wait to hear from the hire car company.

perchypanther
    Free Member

He should hold a press conference and inform that authorities that, after following his instincts, he was conducting an eye test.

Cast iron alibi.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

In Spain the ignored ticket was ignored

In the USA the ticket was charged through the car hire company

In France it was on the spot fine by motorbike cop with gun

In Switzerland it was nice letter, not so nice letter, letter from the court, letter explaining I would be arrested on entry to Switzerland if it wasn’t paid. I explained they must have lost my original letter where I sent them a cheque and they removed the court charges etc so dropped from over CHF1,000 back down to something like CHF50

poly
    Free Member

Was he stopped at the time or a camera? If he was stopped at the time then he’ll already have identified the driver and only has to worry about the speeding offence. If he was not stopped at the time then the hire company will have identified him as the driver (charging him an admin fee for the privilege – in the UK they cannot pay the fine on his behalf!) and passed his details to the police. He will then have received his own s172 request from the police which becomes bit more serious if he’s ignored that.

It might just disappear.
    It might turn into a court case then disappear.
    It might turn into a court case where he can agree to plead guilty to speeding if they drop the s172 (harder to do remotely)
    It might turn into a court case then found guilty in absence (only likely in E&W, unless he pleads guilty). If the fine was then unpaid it could cause problems on arrival to the UK.

if its turned into a s172 case, the fines are hefty, if it goes to court in E&W they’ll add prosecution costs on top. So his gamble is:

1. Do nothing and he might get away with it (but he won’t know until 6 months after the offence – which for the s172 request is the 28 days time to respond – so typically 6-8 weeks after the speeding so Sept?).
    2. Email (don’t just call – you want a record!) the people who sent the paperwork he has to see where it is in the system and how it can be dealt with easily. They almost certainly can’t take payment for a fixed penalty notice now if one was issued in Jan. I’m not sure if they can process non-UK license holders by fixed penalty anyway?

Cougar

I’ve no real idea but my gut feeling is that a) no-one is going to put too much effort into pursuing an overseas fine for 6mph over the limit but b) he’s likely to have a very hard time indeed the next time he tries to come through UK border control.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I explained they must have lost my original letter where I sent them a cheque and they removed the court charges etc so dropped from over CHF1,000 back down to something like CHF50

How many Flashy’s to the pound? Is he an e-currency or is it something physical like, I dunno, little pieces of metal or something?

perchypanther
    Free Member

How many Flashy’s to the pound?

I think perhaps you’ve confused our disco slipper wearing, paper clip tycoon for his less salubrious cousin who suffers gastro-intestinal issues due to his over consumption of ganja laced space cakes.

Sui
    Free Member

my 2penny worth,

Hire car comapny have already settled the fine with the court, as he’s non Uk resident there will be no further action from CPS types. Hire car company have probably already passed on the fine to his credit card and he just hasn’t realised! Hire companies like CC’s for this (and many other spurious) reason..

jimdubleyou

How many Flashy’s to the pound? Is he an e-currency or is it something physical like, I dunno, little pieces of metal or something?

CFH <> CHF
    CFH are made of 1000 clips. 100 clips are known as a slipper. 5 slippers are a disco slipper

CHF are just Swiss Francs, boring paper CCY 🙂

uwe-r
    Free Member

i was due on a speeding course in March. It was cancelled due to lockdown. I have heard nothing. I suspect the system is in log jam (police and hire car company). My guess is that if he tries to pay it they will let him – if he can find anyone working to take the money. If he doesn’t there is a good chance he gets off. There is a very small chance this comes back to get him but very small.

warrenwil3
    Free Member

My friend also received a fine on a rented car and they provided him with an invoice in a few weeks.

avdave2

Can’t he claim diplomatic immunity, say his second cousin 3 times removed is friends with someone who’s partner walks the ambassador to Lichtenstein’s dog.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Well overdue speeding ticket – what’s next?’ is closed to new replies.