Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Well I just ordered a YT Tues………..I think
  • sharkattack

I’ve wanted a YT for a while now so I’ve been keeping an eye on them and waiting for a release date. It’s become a bit of a running theme that every time they release their new bikes the website goes down which gives me a mental image of a million bike geeks all logging on, debit card in hand, trying to beat the rush. The new trail and DH bikes went live last night and the site was dead. There was lots of comments on their FB page so it wasn’t just me.

I previously tried to order their limited edition Tues during the one day sale on the 12th of December. Same problems with the site but I eventually got through and got my details entered. It then became obvious that you weren’t ordering your bike you were entering a lottery, and most people were not picked to be the lucky customers.

So in the early hours of this morning the site was back up and I tried to order my bike. It’s not quite a lottery this time but there’s still no option to pay them and all I got for my trouble is an order number and the kind of automated email you get when you actually buy something. I have no idea at this point if I’m actually a customer or just another mug on a very long waiting list.

Seems like a sloppy way to sell bikes to me.

So what do we think? Will I actually receive a bike? Will it land within the 12 week estimation?

Here is your chance to chastise me for trying to subvert the natural order of paying a 40% mark up at my friendly LBS.

geoffj

Based on that experience, I would be taking my money elsewhere.
    If the buying process is so tortuous, what will the after sales one be like?

user-removed
    Free Member

Fair point… I guess it’s a gamble – increased hassle / uncertainty for the right bike at a good price.

Edit: and FWIW I just dropped another 2.5K on camera kit from Hong Kong – grey import, no warranty. I’ve bought all my gear from HK and never had any problems until this last order. Same gamble, different stuff!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

So what do we think? Will I actually receive a bike? Will it land within the 12 week estimation?

Seems a good deal. Maybe. No chance.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

sharkattack – still no option to pay them…. So what do you think? Will I actually receive a bike

Unlikely if you haven’t paid!

andypandy85
    Free Member

I’ve been tempted by their bikes a few times, but asset the hassle I’ve heard of, I wouldn’t buy from them out of principal.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I haven’t heard great things about YT customer services that said it is just hear say rather than fact. The bikes do look amazing I hope all goes well for you and the next time you go for a ride and need an inner tube and your local bike shop is shut because you brought a YT all the guilt will fall on you….. I’m joking before the tread spirals into a buy from your LBS don’t buy from your LBS.

Good luck I hope it all works out

iain1775
    Free Member
    grum
    Free Member

I seem to remember reading you have to pay by bank transfer.

sharkattack

Well we’ll see what happens. Hopefully they’ll be in touch during the week and tell me if they want my money or not. I’ll report back here to let you all know how (or if) it continues.

Bloody YT and their stupid bargains. It’s ruined all other DH bikes for me. It makes me really begrudge paying a similar sum of money for a decent used bike.

fbk
    Free Member

I was in the same position but, after the farce that was the December “Ltd edition” lottery, I’ve been really put off the brand. The added uncertainty of international money transfers etc etc and I think I’ll keep an eye on the 2nd hand market instead.

That said, I’m sure you will get a great bike for an amazing price – you’ll just have to wait a fair bit for it. It’s a real shame they seem to have alienated so many people with their marketing stunt last year.

sharkattack

Status update: I am now a paying customer of YT Industries. I received an email this morning containing bank details etc. and did a simple transfer.

The email was packed with auto-translation gems such as;

Please note that due to delivery retards from our subcontractors a later final delivery of the goods indicated in your order can occur

and the classic

The timely receipt of the money will permit carrying out an immediate final delivery after the completion work

I am NOT looking forward to any correspondence that may well take place when my bike does not appear, or turns up broken, or instantly cracks. I imagine the back and forth will be a real PITA.

I should receive my bike during the 15th calendar week which I believe is early April. It might just make a nice birthday present.

philbert31
    Free Member

“Please note that due to delivery retards from our subcontractors a later final delivery of the goods indicated in your order can occur”

Bit harsh on the posties

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Well I just ordered a YT Tues………..I think’ is closed to new replies.