Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Well I found it funny even if they didn't
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

At a conference in Berlin today and while daydreaming they announced the next speaker, Jung Hedner, well in my distracted state what I heard was ‘Young Hitler’ at which point I burst out laughing and repeated it quite loudly…..you could hear a pin drop 😳

binners

I wouldn’t worry about it. Dave’s on his way over there at the moment. So English people making crass and insensitive remarks is very much the theme for the weekend 😉

HughStew

I once did a software demo to a load of Germans. I had asked the developers to populate the demo with some customer names they chose Adolf Hitler, Herman Goering, Heinrich Himmler, etc…
    I should have told them who I was demoing to, but assumed they’d not put something like that in.
    Short demo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zippykona

Whenever I’m in Germany I look for Hitler in the phone book. Never found one.
    He can’t have been the only one.

scotroutes

Try Austria?

boltonjon

Ha ha – actually laughed out loud at that in the office – cheers OP!! 🙂

We’ve got a German chap here whose just set up a Strategic Sourcing team

I love setting up Friday afternoon meetings with the SS

augustuswindsock

Bolton, are you ever tempted to go and put towels on the chairs before the meeting starts?

mrmoofo

TBH they are very embarrassed about their past. And have done a lot to try and address the issues. They find the topic quite difficult to discuss – and would rather talk about the present.

I was in Berlin on Monday /Tuesday, so had some spare time so I went up to Sachsenhausen. When I was asked the following day “did you go into central Berlin?” and I replied “No, I went to Sachsenhausen” , I could see some uncomfortable squirming going on …

grum
    Free Member

Probably just find our obsession with WWII a bit weird. Which it is.

alpin
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhlfIx7t46o[/video]

hate the place…

dog shit ridden, arbeitslosen, students. so full of “alternatives” trying hard to be alternative that no-one is alternative (think Brick Lane/Hoxton but on a massive scale… but without any money). no-one seems to have any respect for their environment there. no fun taking my mates 4 year old out on his bike, a constant fear that he might ride/fall into something brown and sticky.

the roads are a right 2’n8. it seems the city council find it easier to put up signs saying “fußwegschaden” (damaged pavement) rather than repairing them.

the best thing about berlin? the A9 and arriving back home in Munich.

trailmonkey

no more weird than everyone elses nationalism. it’s usually all based on war or some perceived heroic triumph over adversity.

alpin
    Free Member

grum – Member

a friend of the GF asked me why the Brits have such a thing about the second world war… i told her it is because we won. i laughed. the other ten people at the table didn’t.

although i did hear a story recently about some (german) guy in a bar in New York. some tussi asked him why there are so many different languages in Europe. “Because we lost” was his response. “Sorry to hear that” was her’s.

mrmoofo

a friend of the GF asked me why the Brits have such a thing about the second world war… i told her it is because we won. i laughed. the other ten people at the table didn’t.

No, they probably just thought “arschlocke” TBH. However, if it was in Munich, they probably still believe that the wrong side won …

PS – love Berlin, don’t recognise your summary
    Munich is lovely too – but still extremely right wing in many places.
    And a really shit traffic problem. Have they finished the tunnel to the wesy yet?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

WW2 only ended about 70 years ago chaps . Your extremely unoriginal humour is indeed cringeworthy .

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

zippykona » Whenever I’m in Germany I look for Hitler in the phone book. Never found one.
    He can’t have been the only one.

Try Austria?

Now that was funny

alpin
    Free Member

@ mrmoofo…. no, the RIng still isn’t finished. i sat there for 45 mins on tuesday morning. only needed to go about 400m along it. crazy.

bikes rule in Munich.

it is conservative, but certainly not far-right conservative. if you want your eyes opened in that respect go to the former east. you’ll see grown men wearing 88 sweatshirts and Lonsdale hoodies. pretty much all of the “proper” Müncheners (that is not Preißn (Prussians)- anywhere north of the Danube according to a Bavarian) that i know are top people.

maybe you were rocking it in the nicer parts of berlin, which i don’t doubt for a second exist, but i find them few and far between. whereas, in Munich at least, the opposite is true. there are some (well, three really, maybe four) dive areas, however when compared to Berlin’s dive areas they are quite pleasent in comparison.

alpin
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil – Member

WW2 only ended about 70 years ago chaps . Your extremely unoriginal humour is indeed cringeworthy .
    Posted 14 minutes ago # Report-Post

don’t think it is all one sided…. i’ll often get a dig for being a “tommy” or ruining Europe (the idea being that if Britain hadn’t stopped Hitler in his tracks Europe wouldn’t be quite so financially screwed as it is now….)

oh, and plenty of Adolfs around. used to buy my veg from a guy called Adolf.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Well I found it funny even if they didn't’ is closed to new replies.