• This topic has 44 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Well I did it, I managed a 100miler sportive…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Well, it was 95 miles, but 2.5 miles each way from my house to the start/finish so just about clocked 100 miles in all!

Would like to tell you it was easy, it wasn’t… To be fair I don’t think riding 100 miles of a relatively flat route would be much of a problem, but this was anything but! Even the winning time was much slower than I thought it would be… For the record, my actual time (including stops) was 7h55, my ride time was 6h47. I’d like to say I could have cut the stops down somewhat, but I needed them. By the end of the route (it was over 1500m of climbing, and they were all bastard climbs!) I needed to stop for 2/3 minutes every few miles, just to shake my legs off, cos they ceased to be capable of turning the pedals seemingly.

Things I have learnt…

-Most Roadies are miserable bastards! FACT! Not all, but certainly most of them are nowhere near as social as us MTBer’s.
    -I can ride on the flat as quick, or quicker than a lot of them, for what reason I don’t know, but in the first half of the route I would consistently overtake lots of people on the flat before my legs tired too much.
    -I can ride downhills faster than about 98% of them! Shame the downhills weren’t all that long, except for the run down from the Wyche cutting where I caught up about 1/2 a mile on the group I was trying to catch inside about 5 minutes.
    -I ride uphill slower than probably 98% of them! Despite being a reasonable climber on an MTB, and getting away with a single ring on that too, even my 34/27 bottom gear on my road bike left me really struggling. I just can’t crank hard enough, I’m a spinner!

Anyway, despite being more tired than I think I’ve ever been after a bike ride (understandable, never done more than 60 miles in a day before), I had fun. Some bits weren’t fun of course, and if/when there is a next time I’ll pick a flatter route I think, but by hook or by crook, and sheer bloody mindedness, I finished it at least! 😀

glenh
    Free Member

1500m of climbing in 100 miles? That is relatively flat!

Well done though, but you need to do one with proper hills now 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Well done! Hate to say it, but 1500m of climbing in 100 miles is pretty flat 🙂

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Nice one. Did my first fixed century a few weeks ago, it’s a nice box to have ticked.

druidh
    Free Member

🙄

😀

mboy
    Free Member

Haha, fair enough

EVERYBODY was saying how nasty it was though, even the seasoned sportive riders. My boss and his mates round the Welsh Etape the other week, they said it was nothing like as hard as today!

Have just found out it was actually 2000m of climbing, not 1500… The website said 1500 2 days ago, it now says 2000m. Makes more sense!

Winning time was only just under 6 hours by the way, I was thinking would be more like 5… And there were some quick boys that did it.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Good effort, I managed my first hundred miler last weekend (not a sportive, just has a day free on my own) and really enjoyed it. The first time I felt like I’d done a full day on a road bike. It made me really want to do some long point-to-point rides as it would be lovely to feel I was getting somewhere. I thought the other roadies I saw out and about were universally friendly and cheerful.

http://app.strava.com/rides/24356592

(this ride comes out at 99.6 miles but I then went to the supermarket to buy all of the food – 100 miles)

mboy
    Free Member

From the climbs druidh… I was rattling along on the flat nicely for a good while!

jamj1974

Well done! Good milestone to achieve!

druidh
    Free Member

Just having a laugh. Sometimes it’s all about pacing 🙂

Nicely done though. Did you notice any immediate effects once you went beyond you normal high distance?

nammynake
    Free Member

Good effort, a great feeling the first time you break 100 miles. As above I’m afraid to say that 2000m over 100 miles isn’t massively hilly. As a guide I would say 1000ft per 10 miles is a good benchmark, which is about 3000m per 100 miles.

mboy
    Free Member

Just having a laugh. Sometimes it’s all about pacing

I know mate, something I’ve never been that good at anyway. But even if I do pace early on, I still blow up at the same time so I might as well go off a bit quicker whilst I’m feeling ok. I was with my boss and his mates, who are all seasoned roadies, and well… I was told they’d look after me! first climb they dropped me, though I caught them up reasonably quickly flying downhill and along the flat, then they dropped me again 40 miles in (and I caught them at 50), but then when the hills really became more frequent that was it, no catching up any more. Still, they only finished about 25 minutes before I did, so not too unhappy.

Nicely done though. Did you notice any immediate effects once you went beyond you normal high distance?

YES!

Got to about 55-60 miles (previous furthest distance), and my legs pretty much didn’t want to propel me up a hill any longer!

psling
    Free Member

34/27 on a road bike is spinning!! Hey, well done though 🙂
    My longest ride has been about 85/90 miles, the 100 is certainly one to tick off.
    I can remember once upon a very long time ago you were knackered within a couple of miles 😉 Anyway, do you stink of wee now? 😆

PS I think 2000m of ascent is a fair old bit of climbing, especially when the short sharp climbs keep coming towards the end of a ride over a distance you’ve not covered before.

Haze

Nice one Mboy, 150 next 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

this is my (and simonms) acheivement from today
    80 mile sportive – 6hrs – 7300ft of hills
    http://app.strava.com/rides/25009637

Beats our longest ride by 20 miles and 1000ft

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Good effort for finishing it, well done.

It does sound like you were truly riding with a bunch of CAT4 mincers who cant race properly though.

I mean 6 hours for 95 miles with 2000 metres of climbing, thats slower than the winning time for the FW which has many more hills and more miles.

chojin
    Free Member

Who cares?! A man just jumped FROM SPACE!

(I jest, well done) 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

Just because the guys you passed on the descents and stayed with on the flat bits .. and the guys who were miserable bastards .. were all riding road bikes. Does not mean they were full on roadies … it was prob their first time on road bikes too.

Judging by your time .. its an almost certainty..

But well done on doing your first century ride.
    Its not the distance that makes it hard – its the pace.

rOcKeTdOg

nice one, well done, welcome to the century club 🙂

now try it solo

MrSmith
    Free Member

Roadies don’t really do sportives, most I know either race and/or ride on club runs on the same roads without the nodders in the way or the entry fee 🙄

will
    Free Member

Great effort. Bet you;re already thing about the next event!

Which one was it by the way?

boblo
    Free Member

mboy – Member

Winning time was only just under 6 hours by the way, I was thinking would be more like 5… And there were some quick boys that did it.

Winning? A sportive?…

So did you spend your time wheel sucking or did you ride it under your own steam? 🙂

Well done BTW. just sitting on a bike for 7 hours is a bit of an ordeal in itself.

aP
    Free Member

Sounds good. Were you smiling at the end?
    we did Etape Pennines last Sunday and it was ok, just disappointed that I couldn’t get a group to form.
    So, what next?

brakes
    Free Member

I did a 65 mile Audax last week that had 2,600m of climbing.
    That was pretty hard going.
    Oh, and ignore the anti-sportive roadie snobs. they’ve obviously done too many 100 milers and have bad piles.

druidh
    Free Member

I found that using a HRM helped me pas a bit better. I’d just remember to stay in zone 4 for the first 25 miles or so. I’d see folk whizz past me but then I’d pass them all later when they’d burned out early.

I also get that moment when my legs seem to say “hey – hang on a minute – we don’t go further than this” 🙂 Just knock in some more long rides until it all feel natural. 10 centuries in a row will get you LeJog 🙂

stufive
    Free Member

I clocked the Fred Whitton in may to be 3500m of climbing so he’s not done so bad

mboy
    Free Member

Anyway, do you stink of wee now?

Not any more, just had a VERY long bath! 🙂

PS I think 2000m of ascent is a fair old bit of climbing, especially when the short sharp climbs keep coming towards the end of a ride over a distance you’ve not covered before.

Cheers, I think that’s the point. None of them were long gradients you could settle into (aside from the first climb up the Malverns) and find a rhythm, they were all quite short and sharp. Which wasn’t too much of a problem for me for about 50 miles, but after that I really started to struggle with them. Grinding up a steep hill, albeit only 200 yards or so long, at barely more than 4mph cos there’s nothing left in your legs isn’t pretty!

Nice one Mboy, 150 next

It would have to be very flat! 😉

this is my (and simonms) acheivement from today
    80 mile sportive – 6hrs – 7300ft of hills
    http://app.strava.com/rides/25009637

Beats our longest ride by 20 miles and 1000ft

Good effort too guys! Bit more climbing in a slightly shorter distance, top effort.

It does sound like you were truly riding with a bunch of CAT4 mincers who cant race properly though.

I wouldn’t know to be fair, they could pretty much all climb faster than me though scarily!

Who cares?! A man just jumped FROM SPACE!

Proper cool that ain’t it! Gonna have to watch it on t’internet tomorrow, that’s one hell of an achievement!

Does not mean they were full on roadies … it was prob their first time on road bikes too.

Definitely not. There was lots of seasoned guys in there.

nice one, well done, welcome to the century club

now try it solo

Cheers, not in too much of a rush to do that yet. Though…

So did you spend your time wheel sucking or did you ride it under your own steam?

Tried to stay in the group with my boss and his mates, early on they were going too slow on the flats and the downs, so I left them behind a bit knowing they’d catch up on the ups. They did… And passed me. Then I caught up again, before another long uphill. After that, couldn’t keep up any more. Spent probably 40 miles of it on my own anyway, and the other 50 or so either with their group, or a mate from uni I bumped into who was also doing it, and we stuck together for the last 35 or so miles (sharing the workload). Would say I did 50 miles at least pushing my own hole through the air sadly, partly explains why I’m so knackered now!

Great effort. Bet you;re already thing about the next event!

Which one was it by the way?

Gonna wait a while before I contemplate another one to be fair… It was the Tour of Worcestershire Sportive.

Sounds good. Were you smiling at the end?

HUGE grin when I completed it, and at various points round the course. But then again, was also lots of grimaces too, and quite a bit of swearing!

Oh, and ignore the anti-sportive roadie snobs. they’ve obviously done too many 100 milers and have bad piles.

😆

I’m used to nay sayers about anything on this forum… Been hanging round too long. Thing is, we’re all good at some things, and not so good at others. I’m passionate about riding bikes, even if I’m not so great at it. I’m proud of my achievement today, so even if I’ve not set any records, I’ll sleep happy.

I found that using a HRM helped me pas a bit better. I’d just remember to stay in zone 4 for the first 25 miles or so. I’d see folk whizz past me but then I’d pass them all later when they’d burned out early.

Has been suggested to me too. And if funds allow in the future, and I plan on doing more or taking them more seriously, I may well invest.

Cheers anyway guys!

scaredypants

(HRM).. Has been suggested to me too. And if funds allow in the future, and I plan on doing more or taking them more seriously, I may well invest

Just follow some slowish-seeming “seasoned guys” and you’ll prob be doing what druidh suggests anyway, I’d think

jesterthefirst
    Free Member

Well done Mboy, awesome effort. Have messaged you on f/b about uni mate if you want to follow up what we were discussing earlier 😛

singletrackmind

congrats on the finish.
    I have entered my first sportive next weekend , 72 miles …
    I have done more on my mtb ( SDW twice ) so should be ok.
    Im not going if its peeing down though.

Love the comments about ‘roadies dont do sportives’ are they not on roads then?

DT78
    Free Member

Great effort – did my first 100miler in July 3 months after getting my first road bike.

Round winchester / new forest so flat but pretty windy. Started seriously suffering with cramp from 75 miles

http://app.strava.com/rides/13464845

Not sure what challenge to go for next. Another 100 miles seems dull, not sure I actually want to sit in the saddle that length of time again!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Tour of Worcester by any chance? I agree about the Etape Cymru, it wasn’t as hard as some folk have made out – That one yesterday was tough. Glad you enjoyed yourself 😀

amedias
    Free Member

Well done!

I’m proud of my achievement today, so even if I’ve not set any records, I’ll sleep happy.

And so you should be, even with all the uber-awesome guys on here that can do a century one-legged on a brompton while sitting backwards on the bars steering with their arse, remember that most average people struggle to pedal 10miles let alone 100.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Well done mate, the first 100 miles ride is always painful at the end, and you tend to realise you’ve gone out too hard at the start. Getting the pacing right is one of the hardest things.

2000m in 100miles isn’t super hilly, but it definitely isnt flat! Its also very much about how the hills are delivered. Short hard climbs with steep descents don’t allow any recovery on the downs and no sense of rhythm on the way up.

Now that you’ve done 100 miles, anything less than that sort of becomes a bit of a jaunt, even if its still going to be a hard ride!

mboy
    Free Member

2000m in 100miles isn’t super hilly, but it definitely isnt flat! Its also very much about how the hills are delivered. Short hard climbs with steep descents don’t allow any recovery on the downs and no sense of rhythm on the way up.

I exactly how I feel about it… Here’s a profile of the climbing…

There’s only really the big climb at the start (up the Wyche) with the descent the other side that allowed much recovery at all, most of the climbs were short, sharp little bastards that you could get no rhythm on and had no real recovery the other side.

Well done mate, the first 100 miles ride is always painful at the end, and you tend to realise you’ve gone out too hard at the start. Getting the pacing right is one of the hardest things.

Yeah, but honestly I couldn’t ride as slowly down the hills as most of the guys there without getting really frustrated, but where we were all doing say 17/18mph leisurely on the flat, they’d then stay at 12mph up the climbs where I’d struggle to do 10 even, and hence a gap would form!

ransos
    Free Member

Just follow some slowish-seeming “seasoned guys” and you’ll prob be doing what druidh suggests anyway, I’d think

Good advice. I did my first 200km ride earlier this year, and made sure I stayed with a very experienced rider, which prevented me going off too quickly at the start. I felt surprisingly ok at the end.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

You can learn how to do the short steep climbs with practice. I was never very good at them before I started training properly this year, now i know exactly what i need to do to get up them at speed and how to recover afterwards.

mboy
    Free Member

Hmmmm… Hungry much? 😕

Ate a plateful of sausage mash and peas at 6:30 this evening, then went to see some mates for an hour or so… Coming back at about 8:30 I was thinking “hmmm, should I get a curry for my dinner tonight, I think I’ve deserved it”. And was about to stop and get a curry until I remembered I’d already eaten!

Sat here now, starving hungry, and I ate an enormous meal only 2 1/2 hours ago!

druidh
    Free Member

Drink.

Dehydration often masquerades as hunger.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

OP Most Roadies are miserable bastards! FACT! Not all, but certainly most of them

Well done though, but you need to do one with proper hills now

Hate to say it, but 1500m of climbing in 100 miles is pretty flat

34/27 on a road bike is spinning!! Hey, well done though

It does sound like you were truly riding with a bunch of mincers

I mean 6 hours for 95 miles with 2000 metres of climbing, thats slower than the winning time for the FW which has many more hills and more miles.

it was prob their first time on road bikes too.

Judging by your time .. its an almost certainty..

Its not the distance that makes it hard – its the pace.

nice one, well done, …now try it solo

Roadies … either race and/or ride on club runs o… without the nodders in the way

Winning? A sportive?…

So did you spend your time wheel sucking or did you ride it under your own steam?

QED

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Well I did it, I managed a 100miler sportive…’ is closed to new replies.