Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Weldtite tubeless repair kit
  • imnotverygood

Anyone used this? (as sold by Evans). The anchovies are just massive & I can’t for the life of me get them to thread through the insertion needle. It is like trying to get a thread of wool through a sewing neeedle. Any ideas?

Tracey

Just fold ours in two and push it in with the tool without threading it, I also pre cut them in two so as not to waste alot.

carlos
    Free Member

Can’t remember if its the Weldite ones or the ones off Ebay, but I generally rip them down the middle lengthwise anyway and they’re plenty thick enough.

muggomagic

Same as Tracey. Cut all the anchovies in 2 as you don’t need them as long as they come supplied to repair.I then push it onto the end of the tool smear on the glue and push into the hole in the tyre. Found that if you ever get the anchovy into the gap in the tool, it’s in so tight that it pulls the anchovy back out of the tyre again.

jam-bo

just open up the gap on the tool a bit.

cp

cut in two here as well

squeeze the end of the anvhovy flat and push the end through the slot, then lather the rest of the anchovy in glue, then pull through – it comes through far easier when covered in glue.

They’re weird things..!

survivor

Simples….

Just slightly open the prongs on the tool a bit. Someone on here suggested once and it works a treat.

Poopscoop

Got this kit, not had to use it yet as only recently gone tubeless.

Cutting the anchovies… You don’t mean length wise do you guys, as in right down the length of the anchovy?

You mean just across the anchovies, halving their actual lengths?

Do you *always* use them with glue by the way,I thought the the sealant “glued”them in! Lol

Sorry for dumb questions. 😀

legend
    Free Member

Yup, just cut them in half to make them shorter.

The glue is vulcanising rubber to help everything stick together. Not tried it without though

Annoyingly I’ve never though about either A) opening the prongs a bit, or B) just shoving it through with the nose of the tool. Always end up in a right mess!

Poopscoop

Thanks legend.
    Will use glue when the inevitable happens!

Will also open up the prong and fit an anchovy ready to use *before* I actually go out I think.;-)

carlos
    Free Member

You mean just across the anchovies, halving their actual lengths?

Nope, as above I generally rip them down the middle lengthwise they’re plenty thick enough.

Carlos

Tracey

I cut them across the middle, halving the length, still plenty long enough. Don’t bother with the glue and just let Stan’s do its job

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I much prefer the Genuine Innovations ones. The Weldtite ones are much too chunky in my opinion.

muggomagic

I was after one of the Dynaplug kits as they look perfect for the SWAT box, but they’re bloody expensive.

Dynaplug

Tracey

Dynaplug are great for a quick fix, if you are competing or out with a big group, the racer one is even better as it has two sizes of plug. On a normal days ride where there’s no rush tend to use the Weldtite ones. Always repair with a mushroom plug when we get back home

Onzadog
    Free Member

Dynaplug looks interesting but I’d be worried about smacking the same spot again and driving a brass ball into a carbon rim.

Tracey

Repaired a few on the back between us and not managed to do that yet.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As mentioned elsewhere, Panaracer were recommended to me because you just get a big chunk of rubber and cut off what you need. Has worked well on a few hole plugs so far, and been a permanent repair.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/panaracer-ust-tubeless-tyre-repair-kit/

roastdinner
    Free Member

Tracey what mushroom plugs do you use?

Tracey

The motorcycle ones from eBay. The patch is about the size of a ten pence and has a metal point for pulling them through. Bought a pack of thirty a few years ago. Gave a few away and have about fifteen left, split between home and the camper.

funkweasel
    Free Member

With the Panaracer one, was that just in the tread part of the tyre or have you managed to fix sidewalls too?

iggs
    Free Member

This tyre plug race hack is cool from Enduro World Champion Jerome Clementz:

“I’ve a tyre plug hidden in my fork if I have a flat on a long stage I can remove the tape, plug the tool in my tyre and finish the stage without losing all the air (if it works). It’s easy to access and quick to use!”

nixie

Up the fork looks like a great idea.

I’ve used the weldite ones on plus tyres without the glue. Was very surprised at how well it worked.

Poopscoop

Ok, so on the weldite ones:

Many cut them in half, one person “cuts” along the length though.

Some use glue and some don’t.;-)

That said, using glue can’t do any harm, just be unnecessary at most?

I have a home made alarm stuck in my steerer tube but fitting an anchovy (already in the prong) as well might be a good idea. There is room.

This post will prove helpful in the back of my mind when I am stuck out on a tail one day with a flat! 😀

Kahurangi

Weldtite ones – I cut them in half the length so I get 10 fixes per pack. Occasionally when pushing them in, they go too far so you might waste the half an anchovy but it’s no biggie 😆 in the last 8 years I’m probably on my third pack and I’ve never had them fail.

Panaracer ones, I had a kit, pretty much every repair failed. Tell a lie, it was every single one. Went back to weldtite.

I bought a pack of anchovy replacements from eBay but they must be for motorbikes or cars and they’re super fat so haven’t used them. Might try splitting them along their length.

z1ppy

I’ve the weldtite one, & gave up the trail, even opening the hole wouldn’t allow me to push the darn thing in, without enough force I thought I pop my sealant tape! Got it done at home (with the tyre off!) & it’s stayed up ever since, so am happy with it. Might try cutting them length ways & opening up the prong. Good thread 🙂

Poopscoop

Z1ppy!

That’s not what I want to hear! 😀

tillydog
    Free Member

My one experience of trying to use the Weldtite kit tallies with Z1ppy’s: There was no way the sausage thing was a) going to fit in the progger or b) get pushed into the tyre. Luckily, in the process of trying, I dislodged the lump of glass (as it transpired) that was stuck in the tyre and the Stans managed to seal it up.

I suspect that there are a couple of different Weldtite kits that are superficially the same, but have different sized anchovies – the ones in mine are about 5mm diameter, and I would need to split them lengthwise to stand any chance of being able to get them through the tyre.

In contrast, having seen how well a Dynaplug works, I’m saving up to buy one.

deadkenny
    Free Member

funkweasel – Member 
    With the Panaracer one, was that just in the tread part of the tyre or have you managed to fix sidewalls too?

Couple in the top tread, one right by the rim bead. All worked.

Not really much different to anchovy stuff, just that you cut the shape out you want. Key I found is to give the glue time to set and shake the wheel out of the bike to let the sealant do the job.

I’ve had proper sidewall tears, but nothing would fix that except an internal patch. I’ve use tubeless patches and plain tube patches inside and fixed those fine. Not so much of a trail side fix though.

Del

don’t bother cutting them down. they’re so cheap on ebay it’s nuts. puncture, stuff file in the hole, prep the bogey, file the hole, stuff bogey in, give it few seconds, pull the tool out, rotate tyre so the bogey is at the bottom, ride away. simple.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

The prong thingy is the same in my weldtite kit, decathlon kit (50p cheaper) and sahmurai sword bar plug kit (don’t buy one you’ll break it first crash).

I’ve never had a problem getting the rubber stringy thing through the various prongs. Even the slightly fatter eBay versions which are long enough to cut into 4 bits.

Rema make nice feather edge patches intended for cars and motorcycles. They are good for home internal repairs.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

There must be different dimensions of anchovies in the weldtite kits because even with squashing, slicing and cursing, my ones did not want to fit between the prongs. When I did manage to do it by slicing bits off the middle, the whole thing was so chunky still that the hole needed enlarging to get it in!

Chucked it in the bin and went back to the much more refined Genuine Inovations kit.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I’ve had similar frustrating experiences with the wedlite kit, in that I often can’t get the anchovy through the hole in the tyre without cutting it to make it bigger and then find them a faff when I do. There’s obviously a knack to it that I don’t have. To be honest I find it quicker to put a tube in trail-side and sort the repair at home!

iainc

I have the weldtite and genuine innovations kits. I always reach for the latter, much more compact to carry in backpack and seems to work just fine for trailside repairs though I have only used it once in earnest.

JackHammer

I have that kit, used it at Coed Y Brenin for the first time ever.

My god what a trial getting the effing anchovies on the tool thingy was, I cut them in 2 too btw.

then getting the thing in the tyre I managed to stab it through the sidewall of the tyre 😳

used the glue as per instructions.

Eventually got it to seal and it’s all good.

BadlyWiredDog

+1 for the Genuine Innovations ones. Saved my butt when I pinched a tubeless tyre about ten miles from home and I’d managed not to have a spare tube in my pack. Really easy to use and effective ime. If the hole is slightly too large, try stacking the ‘anchovies’ to fill the hole.

pictonroad

Re: the weldtite pack. I recommend cutting a small selection of width and lengths before heading out (preferably in a nice quiet shed). They stick back in the clear film easily enough. They’ve been spot on for me so far.

mahalo

i tend to grip one end with my teeth and pull it through. always cut in half too like everyone else. my tyres are peppered with anchovie ends sticking out, like notches on a bedpost! i replaced a tyre last weekend because there were so many then the first ride on fresh rubber ended with two new ones! dont bother replacing them at home tho, never had one fail yet touch wood.

only use the weldtite kits myself, quite like carrying the little box as i stick a few extra bits in, power link, emergency tenner… nice and flat in my pocket.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Weldtite tubeless repair kit’ is closed to new replies.