Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)
  • Welcome back to the 70s
  • SSS
    Free Member

Welcome back to the 70s boys and girls!

Sky high inflation, rising interest rates, strikes, fuel crisis (cost), summer (and probably winter) of discontent and the threat of nuclear war…..

Get your flares out and get yourself a Ford Cortina – ITV4 replay the Sweeney and the Professionals too!

History doesnt repeat, but it rhymes.

cogglepin

And don’t forget Kate Bush at no1.

weeksy

yeah more politics and doom and gloom, just what the forum needs.

johndoh
    Free Member

And don’t forget Kate Bush at no1.

That was 1985 😉

Drac

Yay! Cheaper housing, beer and we’ll be joking the EU soon.

the-muffin-man

My dad made a shit-ton of money in the 70s! “Yeah, it’s gone up mate. Don’t blame me it’s inflation”. 🙂

SSS
    Free Member

Although ‘Running Up That Hill’ was 1985, Kate Bush and ‘Wuthering Heights’ was 1978.

Ah, those were the days… 😀

cogglepin

Bugger!

Murray

James Hunt’s coming back? Great! And the summer of 1976 already seems to be here.

Other than that, no thanks.

cogglepin

I had a Kate Bush poster on my bedroom wall,( I was but a lad) the one we’re she’s wearing the blue lycra type skin suit.

Klunk
    Free Member

My dad made a shit-ton of money in the 70s!

same here, inflation wiped out his mortgage almost overnight*

*I may be over egging the pudding though you get the idea.

desperatebicycle

Hopefully punk will be along soon to shake things up

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

P-Jay
    Free Member

Great isn’t it? 🙁

‘They’ keep saying it’ll be over by Spring 2023, which, considering a lot of it has been caused by a war that could last years is odd.

I get the impression that we’re collectively somewhere near the bargaining stage of grief for our former lifestyles. The RMT are striking over pay and conditions, but they won’t be the only ones, perhaps more worryingly, I read the other day that 50% of households in the UK, 50%! are borrowing money every month to make ends meet. I sure for some, that’s borrowing to eat, but for those in the middle who are going to be a large part of that, it’s borrowing to maintain their normal lifestyle they can no longer afford and this will have to end and it’s when the middle cut back, we get recessions.

I think the depression will hit in Autumn, when everyone’s summer tan starts to fade and days get shorter and home energy prices jump another 50%.

We’ll all have to accept that things have changed and it’s permanent. Things will always change, but for now, this is the ‘new normal’ there’s no going back to normal next week, or the week after. Perhaps it’ll be the end of the “two new German cars on every drive” PCP boom, or the “£5 a cup coffee shop on every corner” boom, I certainly think it will be the end of the weird Covid fuelled housing boom. I re-mortgaged 4 months ago at 1.3%, my Mate with a similar LTV got offered 3.4% last week. I wish I’d fixed for longer!

The Good news, well if you’re not a Tory voter is that no government survives a recession, and certainly not this government.

Klunk
    Free Member

The Good news, well if you’re not a Tory voter is that no government survives a recession, and certainly not this government.

not with out a war. 😉

zippykona

The price of our ballons has just gone up.
    It’s due to inflation.

SSS
    Free Member

Forget Kate Bush in Blue Lycra.

Sarah Brightman with Hot Gossip – ‘I lost my heart to a starship trooper’… The video was ace, especially for a young lad

Cant find the original video, except this dance edited version, but the video content is there.

Hot Gossip – Starship Trooper

Klunk
    Free Member

I had a Debbie Harry poster. 😀

pandhandj
    Free Member

@zippykona

Don’t worry mate, pens, pencils, paper and envelopes will remain stationery.

Gotta love a 70’s joke 🤣🤣🤣

IdleJon

Are we allowed to be racist, sexist and make Mother in Law jokes again?

I saw six men kicking and punching the mother-in-law. My neighbour said ‘Are you going to help?’ I said ‘No, Six should be enough.

source: http://jokes4us.com/peoplejokes/comedianjokes/lesdawsonjokes.html

MoreCashThanDash

Just been to take my 80 year old mum to do her shopping – she removed all the leaves of the head of cauliflower she bought to try and save a few pence when the lady on the till weighed it.

rone

You know the commentariat go on about the Winter of discontent – which was a short period really in the grand scheme of things.

How about decades of discontent for the **** Tories?

THIS SITUATION IS WORSE.

fazzini

Kate Bush and ‘Wuthering Heights’ was 1978.

Ah, those were the days… 😀

Yeh, but, Slade…

boriselbrus
    Free Member

But cauliflower leaves are delicious and nutritious. Chop and fry with butter and garlic. Yum!

molgrips
    Free Member

I bought some Oakley Prizm Road lenses now everything looks like the summer of 1976.

molgrips
    Free Member

‘They’ keep saying it’ll be over by Spring 2023, which, considering a lot of it has been caused by a war that could last years is odd.

Well, that could be the time it takes to make other arrangements. I don’t think anyone wants to go back to lots of Russian oil and gas any time soon. Unless Putin goes.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yay! Will we be in the Common Market or was it called something else back then?

Cougar

How do you think we got to this point in the first place?

IdleJon

How do you think we got to this point in the first place?

Ah yes, it had escaped my mind.

But cauliflower leaves are delicious and nutritious. Chop and fry with butter and garlic. Yum!

Butter and garlic is far more delicious without the cauliflower leaves, though. Preferably smeared on some crusty bread.

We had better bread in the 70s! Although garlic hadn’t been invented.

anagallis_arvensis

Can we expect a good star Wars film soon then?

avdave2

Just been to take my 80 year old mum to do her shopping – she removed all the leaves of the head of cauliflower she bought to try and save a few pence when the lady on the till weighed it.

I eat them, in a stir fry or chucked in the soup maker* with the stalks. Broccoli stalks go in as well.

*Before I get flamed for buying a soup maker I didn’t, I found it thrown out, brand new in it’s box while working on the bins. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife makes great soup with broccoli stems and cheese. My mate’s Chinese partner also stir fries cauliflower leaves, although I was never able to get that to come out well.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Waiting for the 1970’s housing crash. Pick up a nice six bedroom villa for £200?

I don’t think the RMT are winning the PR war. It’s hard to justify a pay raise when you’re getting sixty grand for driving a train!

Not representative of the whole workforce, but the media keep trotting it out.

I think the rail workers are for the chop because of the national labour shortage.

Bazz

I don’t think the RMT are winning the PR war. It’s hard to justify a pay raise when you’re getting sixty grand for driving a train!

Not representative of the whole workforce, but the media keep trotting it out.

As far as im aware the RMT don’t represent train drivers, and i don’t think they are striking, they’re mostly represented by ASLEF i believe.

the-muffin-man

We had better bread in the 70s!

I disagree! 🙂

Thin sliced bread seemed to be the go-to in my area. You were some sort of god if you could actually spread anything on it with it breaking up!

And Nimble anyone…

…bread is so much better now.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

It would be even worse under Labour though, have no illusions.

redmex
    Free Member

Joanna Lumley as Purdey right posh babe when the hormones kicked in
    Remember watching football played on unplayable pitches due to the mud especially around the box,players fighting, each team had a real hard bast and poor Tommy Docherty got sacked for adultery

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Lovely decade for British cars 😀

Leyland

cogglepin

SSS funny you should mention Sarah Brightman as I turned the tv on the other night and that video was playing!
    She certainly was rather nice!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.