• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hobbie123-spam.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Weird text from Paypal – bit worried…
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Just got a text message from 62226 which when Googled does seem to be Paypal’s text number. Followed the link (cautiously) and it’s a receipt for a small amount of cash to someone who lives quite locally to me. It details her full name and address. The payment method isn’t one of my cards so I can only think;

(A) someone has lodged the wrong number with Paypal or
    (B) it’s some kind of weird scam and I’ve missed the point.

Looks totally legit and there aren’t any dodgy links in the webpage. Have checked Paypal and nothing has gone out – changed password just in case…

Any thoughts? Anyone had similar?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Change your password for a start!

frankconway

Contact the ‘intended’ recipient.

user-removed
    Free Member

As above ^^^ – first thing I did!

user-removed
    Free Member

Frank – have sent her an email but she’ll probably think it’s spam because I attached a screen grab of the receipt 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting. PayPal app on my phone has just updated and asked me to register my mobile number. It sends a code by text which you use to authorize it. Can’t see how it could be the wrong number.

That 62226 number is the one they asked me to copy into my contacts folder though.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its for a service she supplied you with last night and you have forgotten.

Small payment though, so clearly it didn’t take long.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Payment for “services received” ??

😉

Makes ya fink.

user-removed
    Free Member

Perhaps unrelated but my dad emailed me today complaining that every time he tries to call me, he gets an increasingly less polite stranger on the other end. Just checked and my mobile’s working from my home phone.

The plot thickens…

kelron
    Free Member

Maybe your dad’s dialling the wrong number.

ourmaninthenorth

Could be a scam where her account has been hacked – the old small payment under the radar before the account is hammered.

I had a phishing email purporting to be from PsyPal warning of dodgy activity and inviting me to follow a link to unlock my account. Ignoring that, I logged in via my phone app and everything was in order.

jb72
    Free Member

Call your mobile from another phone – are getting incoming calls?

I’ve some vague memory of people having their number taken without their knowledge. Fraudsters then use the number as ‘id’ to access bank accounts etc.

Changing your paypal password would be a good precaution.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Weird text from Paypal – bit worried…’ is closed to new replies.