Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Weird places to have a job interview
  • stumpyjon

Where was the oddest place you’ve been interviewed? Just had a phone interview from the HR VP whilst stood on the concourse of Glasgow railway station. The interviewer was in Green Bay Wisconsin. Not the easiest interview I’ve done. Must be stranger interviews amongst you lot though.

rOcKeTdOg

Sat on a road bike for my current job as I was commuting home from my now previous one

The interviewer was in Green Bay Wisconsin.

Were they wearing a cheese head?

ji
    Free Member

I once had one that started in the HQ of the organisation, and was then interrupted by a fire alarm. The lead manager carried on the interview as we filed out down the stairs, into the carpark and in the back of his car as he drove across town to another office, where we finished up.

I got the job – must have been something about being able to perform under pressure!

oliverracing

Worcester shrub hill station – phone interview – very very loud so struggled to hear what they were saying.

Just outside the office of a ski chalet in France… as I had just handed my resignation in! This was technically not an interview, more a call back ASAP if you want the job (I did at the time – great design job), it actually pinged my phone as I was having the discussion where the boss tried to convince me to stay, but I didn’t check the phone till I walked out!

molgrips
    Free Member

My bedroom.

Ok so I was on the phone…

Rich_s

Not weird, so much, but I have had 3 interviews at the same pub over the years and got the (new) job everytime. #boom

(The Stretton Fox, J10 M56 if anyone wants to try your luck)

JEngledow
    Free Member

In the hospital car park while my son was still in the special care baby unit! He was a couple of weeks old by this point, but still in hospital and the interview was with a new client rather than a new job!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did a phone interview in the office of my LBS.

Got the job, too! Not for the LBS, I should add. They’ve never bothered to interview me and still get me to help out now and again!

ta11pau1

In a dingy kitchen not big enough to swing a cat in, down about 4 sets of stairs, seemingly into the basement, for a support position at an MSP.

This was after waiting in the ‘waiting area’ which was a dirty hallway opposite a office which had a couple of guys working in there with speed metal playing on the background.

Then in the interview by the manager of the team I would have been working in, she casually mentions that the team is all young blokes and ‘can be a bit of a handful at times’.

I declined a 2nd interview.

krixmeister
    Marin
    Free Member

On the steps of a National Express coach. I was heading to London to interview for a job in Japan when answered the call. Got offered a job in Norway, went home repacked, gone for 3 years.

stumpyjon

Krixmeister, casting couch?

senorj

I had a job interview in the bar of a posh London hotel. Not so weird but all of the Sex Pistols sitting at the next table made it a bit “strange”.
    (It was before they reformed.)

oldtennisshoes

Peterborough.

scotroutes

In the spare office of an estate agent I was buying a house through.

matt_outandabout

I spent a night stumbling around on Kinder Scout as part of an interview, if that counts.

MoreCashThanDash

I had a couple of interviews in Peterborough as well *shudders*

edd

I had a first round phone interview on the Ruinettes lift from Le Châble (Verbier). Managed to wrap up the interview in the time it took to get up the lift and got the job (after a second round face to face interview). I don’t think the guests I was guiding ever knew. 🙂

CHB

Above the cafe in Little Bettys, York.
    I got the job!

CHB

Oh… and Costa Coffee, High Wycombe inside NEXT. I got the job!

filibuster
    Free Member

Krixmeister, casting couch?

As if you didn’t know…..

Got a phone call whilst panting up a climb on the bike. Answered it and the guy moaned about the bad signal. Said I’d phone him back. Upon returning his call he starts moaning about answering the phone whilst not having coverage. I stupidly took the job, travelling to Italy from Austria for it. Quit after the days. The guy was a special character.

matt_outandabout

I had a couple of interviews in Peterborough as well *shudders*

I see your Peterborough.
    I raise you Grimsby. 😱

PiknMix
    Free Member

Table 57, Sandemsn pub, Kinnoull Street Perth.

The shittiest of shitholes you ever did see. Got the job though.

w00dster

Not weird but memorable. Reef view hotel Hamilton island, sitting in the lounge bar as this was one of the few places where I could get a mobile signal. Coming towards the end of my 3 months travelling Australia was time to start looking for a job back in the UK. Also got the job.

convert

I was the interviewer. Skype. He was sat in a classroom in an American summer camp where he worked. After he got the job he told me he spent ages adjusting the angle so there were no cartoon characters in the background. I was sat in bed recovering from a burst appendix 48hrs earlier. I’d spent ages to try and get a background out the window rather than a bed head.

It all went rather well.

bob_summers

Cadwell Park for a job as a staff writer on a motorbike mag. They wanted to see if I could ride, so I came down from Cumbria on my RG500, which I’d never ridden in anger on a track (had done a few seasons of 250 club races so knew my way around Cadwell), and took their loaner CBR Blackbird out for a few laps too.
    The editor seemed keen but I never heard back and he left the mag so that was that. Wasn’t that gutted to not have to move to Peterborough to be honest!

pyranha

The toilet of a pub in the City – I was being poached and the poacher had an agreement with my then boss not to approach me; there was no reason we shouldn’t be in the same bar, but the toilet was the only place none of my colleagues would see us chatting.

Later I had an interview in the Bridge Inn in Kendal – got that one too.

colournoise

Most of my job interviews have been in Peterborough.

Much rather that than Barnsley…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Horsham

CraigW
    Free Member

Walking halfway up Cairngorm, in a blizzard.

Northwind

In a stationery cupboard that someone had dragged 2 seats into. I was interviewed on a different day than the other candidates and they’d forgotten to arrange a room. I’d been told to make a presentation on “what I’d change in the first 3 months in this role”, the usual bollocks (correct answer was “I have no idea and you shouldn’t hire any idiot that thinks they do”), but there wasn’t any AV kit so I had to free form jazz the whole thing.

I did get the job, but with hindsight, I probably could have realised that it was going to be a total shitshow.

hardtailonly

Not quite a job interview, but my wife heard that she had been offered a job, whilst breast-feeding our 4 month old daughter at the summit of Pen-y-ghent!

slowoldman

One of the posh lounges in the Horseguards Hotel, with afternoon tea.

LeeW

Hog’s head Wolverhampton for a job with DERA, second interview started in the British Camp car park and finished walking over the Malven Hills.

footflaps

Cafe in a Tesco super store, met the CEO there for a coffee and interview (his suggestion).

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Weird places to have a job interview’ is closed to new replies.