Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Weird noises that drive you bonkers
  • Kryton57

For what seems like months now we’ve been plagued by the occasional noise that sounds very much like a pressure release valve letting go. It’s a kind of squeak and a whoosh at random times though predominantly in the evenings.

It’s driven me mad wondering whether the gas, boiler or water pipes have an issue and I’ve been trying to track it down to no avail.

Turns out it’s a very odd low battery notification on my kids Nokia school burner phone. It was left on the kitchen counter this morning and went off when Mrs K lent over it to make toast.

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC telling me all about her day at work in excruciating detail….

Possibly not what you were asking about

CheesybeanZ

Children.

fasthaggis

When (for no apparent reason) my tinnitus goes up to 11.
    I’m sure one of my enemies has an evil remote control.
    #withtinnitusyouareneveralone 😃

DrJ

The dishwasher beeping to tell you it’s finished. We put the dishwasher on last thing at night, so it finishes in the early hours and wakes me up with its wretched beeps.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve had on/off tinitus for years, but I swear it’s gone off the scale since Covid in late September.

longdog
    Free Member

Ernesto the rat in our roof space 🤣 Poor guy is going to have a shock soon when the landlord gets to it, but it can’t go on and he’s been waking us at night scrabbling about up there.

Simon

Weird low constant hum in our dormer bedroom.
    After a few months I discovered it was wasps living in the wall.
    To deal with them I had to lean out of the window three stories up and squirt wasp killing powder into the hole in the soffit where the wasps were coming and going, then quickly get out of the way!

fasthaggis

I’ve had on/off tinitus for years, but I swear it’s gone off the scale since Covid in late September.

Same here 😔 the virus that just keeps giving.

Cougar

I had one a while back, a periodic almost alien-sounding hissy whirr not dissimilar to the what the OP describes. It was a bloody air freshener.

We put the dishwasher on last thing at night, so it finishes in the early hours and wakes me up with its wretched beeps.

Don’t do that, then? 😁 Does it not have a delayed start option? Some do.

james-rennie

The works laptop I carry around makes a sighing sound, like a single sad exhalation.
    I can’t bring myself to report it for fear of sounding loopy.

scotroutes

@jimmy – still humming?

Davesport

The howling noises I make whilst having a night terror but can do nothing to stop. Mrs D loves it :o)

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

Always on extractor fans in our new-build house.

Really irritated me until I realised they were all set to some ‘adaptive speed’ setting so were constantly changing fan speed slightly depending on outside conditions. Good idea in theory but means they never fade fully into background noise. Turned this off and now much better.

cheers_drive

The animal (mouse, rat, squirrel) that runs above the lounge ceiling at night. Only one strip between a set of floor joists. It’s between floors in a 30 year old house how does it get in there?

Yak

Tinnitus is frustrating.

Yesterday though was plagued by a metallic clunk and rattle in the van when I braked or turned L. Must have bugged me for over an hour of driving with me thinking of all the things that could be going wrong.
    Got home and remembered I had put a stepladder in the back and it was sliding around…

somafunk

I had a noise inside my living room wall that only became apparent when audio was playing above 70db, especially when the sub kicked in below 30hz, sounded like a rattle which was bloody annoying so I knocked a hole in the plasterboard from the hallway and found a loose electrical cable bouncing against the plasterboard, fixed the cable – left the hole, job done.

Edukator
    Free Member

For those who used the word “tinnitus” – may boils infest your… .

My phone, I tried every option and it still makes infuriating beeping noises.
    One of my guitars that randomly buzzes, can’t find the cause beyond it’s mechanical rather than electrical.
    The vacuum cleaner, I just retreat into the garden when Madame starts.

A minor victory recently was the car. A rattling noise – I checked every thing in the glove box, under the dash, the doors and window mechanisms, the set belt mechanisms, the radio speakers… it was the crook lock I leave lying on the floor in the passenger footwell.

136stu
    Free Member

When my windscreen wipers reach the top of their arc and then drag before descending.

theotherjonv

The dishwasher beeping to tell you it’s finished. We put the dishwasher on last thing at night, so it finishes in the early hours and wakes me up with its wretched beeps.

Don’t do that, running appliances overnight is a cause of house fires, at least if you are awake you can react rather than only when the smoke sets the alarms off.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jan/11/kitchen-flames-domestic-appliances

jimmy

@scotroutes – yep, but I’m at peace with it (apart from the ringing and humming obvs)

FFJA
    Free Member

We put the dishwasher on last thing at night

With my slightly nerdy work head on, you’re much safer using things like washing machines and driers while you’re awake, there’s been quite a few fatal fires linked to using them while occupants are asleep.
    Nerd mode off now! Yes the beeps are very irritating! My girlfriends fridge does it when you leave the door open and for added variety flashes it’s lights!

VanHalen

there is a clonk in the rear on my VWt2 i’ve stripped the suspension, changed the CVs and double checked all the inside furniture is all scewed down hard. i think its the oil filler spot knocking off teh rock and roll bed spaces under teh seat. but im not 100% sure. it may be the wheel bearing? – anyway its been driving me mad for at least 1yr now.

DrJ

With my slightly nerdy work head on, you’re much safer using things like washing machines and driers while you’re awake, there’s been quite a few fatal fires linked to using them while occupants are asleep

Don’t do that, running appliances overnight is a cause of house fires, at least if you are awake you can react rather than only when the smoke sets the alarms off.

Aah – OK – makes sense. Need to re-think my dishwashing strategy then 🙂

sockpuppet

I’m sure you’ll think me naive, and I admit there’s a small risk.

But I’ll happily keep going with overnight stuff (it’s a good time to be using electricity after all) mitigated by the four interlinked mains powered smoke, heat & CO alarms.

After all the fridge, freezer, boiler and router are staying on.

I do clean out the lint trap though. I’m not crazy.

theotherjonv

Not my advice, it’s in the link from the UK fire chiefs (maybe not exact title), was also told to us by the Surrey Fire Brigade when they visited to fit smoke alarms, and by a mate who’s in the LFB.

And I listened and thought the same as you but did it anyway.

And then one day another mate told me how his dishwasher caught fire one night while they were in bed, how he and his girlfriend were rescued from an upper window by the fire service, and how the house was ruined and needed total renovation taking months while they lived in rented accommodation due to water and smoke damage. The smoke in particular was in everything, furniture, sofas, mattresses…..

Up to you though. I don’t run anything like that when not in

Onzadog
    Free Member

My work mobile. Doesn’t matter what I set the ring tone too, within a few days it really grates. Even upsets the dog.

singletrackmind

There’s a lint trap in a dishwasher? Amazing

johnstell

Koalas grunting in the tree outside my bedroom in summer. Most unnerving.

Harry_the_Spider

My daughter’s flute. She has managed to weaponize it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Suirrels chirping and grunting in the trees as the males stake their territories. Less of a problem in recent years.

sirromj

bruneep

another vote for tinnitus…..  😠

theotherjonv

Suirrels chirping and grunting in the trees as the males stake their territories. Less of a problem in recent years.

I see what you did there - Imgflip

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aah – OK – makes sense. Need to re-think my dishwashing strategy then

Wash your dishes in the house of your enemy – Tsun Tzu

Our central heating seems to be have been constructedat the resonant frequency of the pump motor. At least we know its working. :/

hooli

The sound of people eating, if I end up in jail, it will be for murder of a noisy eater.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It’s The Hum for me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

Went through a period of hearing low frequency noise as I got into bed and was trying to sleep. Not constant, but a thrum, thrum, thrum. Super annoying. Two different houses, and I was the only one who heard it.

Seems to have stopped now, so no idea what it was.

nixie

Engine running or boot open bong from some f**ker that lives behind us. Every day, several time a day. Just loud enough to be annoying but not loud enough to pinpoint.

stany
    Free Member

When I was manager of our LBS, our head mechanic pulled out the bike that had been booked in for an annoying creak.
    After a 4hour strip down and rebuild of this hideous bso, the creak remained.
    Our man finally conceded and asked me to have a look. It took less than a minute to ask if he’d removed the prop stand.
    A lesson on always looking for the simple things

timba
    Free Member

Mrs B’s silent sweep alarm clock. I can hear it amplified by the wooden shelf, but she can’t

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.