Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Weird kneepad irritation
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Early this year I got some kneepads that I’ve used a lot. Going into summer I noticed a mild irritation on the back of my knees where the cut-out is and since then everytime I wear the pads I get an itching sensation and the skin is sore, but only where the cut-out is. The irritation goes off after a few days but if I wear the kneepads it comes back within a few hours. Have soaked the kneepads in a bleach solution, blasted them in the washer and frozen them but the problem persists. Have got some other kneepads and they’re fine.

I could just stop using the kneepads but I wondered if anyone else has this. Weird that the irritation is where the kneepads aren’t 😕

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Friend of mine is sponsored by raceface and has the same problem. The pads and gloves are manufactured using some pretty nasty stuff which she’s allergic to

wwaswas

you sure the edge of the cutouts isn’t chafing a bit as you pedal? The ‘holes’ tend to disappear as you bend your leg.

rocketman
    Free Member

The pads and gloves are manufactured using some pretty nasty stuff

Really? Anything in particular

you sure the edge of the cutouts isn’t chafing a bit as you pedal?

Pretty much there’s no discomfort while riding the irritation flares up afterwards

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I shall endeavor to find out.

rocketman
    Free Member

Thanks!

bigjim

Are they neoprene? Neoprene in anything but a wetsuit triggers my eczema for some reason.

ahsat

I had my second set of 661’s and despite them not looking as worn as my first set, I started to get really itchy and sore skin at the front of my knees. Nothing seemed to solve it…I washed them etc etc. The fabric wasnt worn. I ended up buying a new set, and no issues since! No idea!

rocketman
    Free Member

Yeah they are neoprene (661)

Tried them again the other day and the reaction is the same so goodbye 661 kneepads

teasel
    Free Member
    zero-cool
    Free Member

How often do you wash them? They’re quite a sweaty area and a prime breeding ground for wee beasties

Tom KP

northernlite
    Free Member

Used to get same thing from 661 pads (although if I wore something underneath like a tubigrip or cut open sock i could prevent it!).

Eventually replaced with POC VPD 2.0s and never had an issue since.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Weird kneepad irritation’ is closed to new replies.