• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Weighted blanket how much!!
  • supercarp

Wife mentioned that she liked the idea of a weighted blanket. Thinking birthday present but looking at the price how much £150!!!

Had anyone tried one, could I not just attach a couple of sandbags to a blanket and lay that on the bed?!

tthew

Lie on top of her. More than the extra weight benefit there. 😁

scotroutes

I only just heard about these things last week and my first reaction was “how much???”

Wait a year and there’ll be hunners of them on Gumtree, along with juicers and barbells.

matt_outandabout

Buy a wool duvet.

MoreCashThanDash

*goes off to Google weighted blanket*

MoreCashThanDash

*comes back both wiser and more confused*

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Koala one. I have real problem sleeping and it was worth it for justa few nights decent kip. Possibly snake oil and positive mental attitude but it’s working for me.

Depends how your missus sleeps – if she is on her back the weight of the blanket on feet/toes might be uncomfortable – they are quite long in the single size I’ve got and invariably ends up a part of it hanging over the end of the bed which can be quite heavy (and I know its meant to be weighted, but you know what I mean).

mildred

I need one of these – I sleep hot but need something weighty on me. I think it’s a throwback to when I was a kid & we didn’t have duvets or continental quilts, just a shit load of blankets piled high.

I didn’t even know they existed until we spent a few nights in a cottage that had one. Best sleep I’ve had for years.

Also called gravity blankets.

mattyfez

I’m struggling to understand the principle here, is it weighted at the edges to keep it square on the bed?

Just buy a bed set a size bigger than your bed so then there’s plenty of slack for rumpus?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Got me curious now, better half got one from Amazon earlier this year, stupidly heavy for a blanket!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m struggling to understand the principle here, is it weighted at the edges to keep it square on the bed?

No, it’s basically a duvet filled with glass beads instead of feathers basically so the whole thing is a weight, not just the corners. Sectioned off so everything just doesn#t fall to one side/end.

The ‘theory’ is that the weight ‘hugs’ you and supposedly some scientific theory about comfort from the hug etc. etc. Bit like swaddling a baby I suppose.s

Its actualy the opposite of what you are saying, there’s less room under the duvet rather than more.

squirrelking
    Free Member

This is presumably for people who have reached the point in life that bedtime shenanigans are no longer even a consideration.

Still safer than an electric blanket if you pish the bed I suppose.

taxi25
    Free Member

Like everything there’s expensive and cheap. They don’t have to be £150, like a car doesn’t have to be £200,000+

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113882272549

willard

Can you not just get a duvet cover and fill it with sawdust of something?

oikeith

My wife picked one up and it helps her sleep, she used to wake every couple of hours for no reason and its helped her. Dont remember it being that pricey though

Edukator
    Free Member

Sounds like a good way to eliminate the insulating qualities of the super lofting down quilt we have.

midlifecrashes

I have a couple of old school heavy wool blankets which I use to offset mrsmidlife’s preference for thick pyjamas and a thin duvet, it’s a very comforting feeling with a bit of weight on top. Have a look on ebay for Jonelle and Witney brands, they go for peanuts and will last forever.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Sounds like a good way to eliminate the insulating qualities of the super lofting down quilt we have.

I thought your house was super insulated so why would it matter?

funkmasterp

Just get a sleeping bag

PiknMix
    Free Member

This is presumably for people who have reached the point in life that bedtime shenanigans are no longer even a consideration.

Under the covers, how twee. 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

I thought your house was super insulated so why would it matter?

It is, read about the definitions and objectives of passivhaus construction. Our bedroom goes down to 16°C in the coldest parts of Winter which is in the recommended range for a good night’s sleep, but still requires a good quilt. Neither of us have much fat for insulation.

IHN

We’ve just got one to try and help wifey’s sleeping (or struggle thereof) issues. Two nights in so far, I’m sceptical in terms of function for the price, it feels like sleeping under, like someone above has said above, a couple of wool blankets. It is kind of ‘comforting’, but not £150’s worth.

It’s also really ugly.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Weighted blanket how much!!’ is closed to new replies.