Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Weight weenie saddles
  • molgrips
    Free Member

As part of a weight saving project on my Trek I fitted a Flite SLR, the 135g one.  I’ve had it a while, and I know it’s ok for short rides, but it’s only just okay – and I consider myself to have  fairly tough arse.  Also it limits my choice of shorts to the really good ones 🙂

I just fitted another very old Flite, the first one with the split down the middle, and it’s ok, about 200g, but the leather is knackered.

What saddles can you recommend that are relatively cheap, sub-200g and just a little more comfortable than an SLR?  Current favourite on my other non-weenie bikes is an SDG bel-air.

otsdr
    Free Member

SDG Circuit Carbon? Pretty light and comfortable to me, but I haven’t used any of Selle Italia’s offerings to compare it to.

Quite resilient as well, haven’t managed to break either of them yet, despite my best efforts (mostly crashes).

njee20
    Free Member

Spesh Toupe? Not quite as light as an SLR, but I find them significantly more comfy. Good supply of the older ones second hand, which I think are the most comfy, more bendy the the newer ones.

Cheap Chinese carbon thing?

Don’t be tempted by a Fabric ALM. They fail on ‘cheap’, but they’re also like sitting on a brick. Awful!

nedrapier

Spesh Toupe of some sort?

vmgscot

I inherited a WTB SL8 Titanium with a frame 6 months ago and was really surprised how comfortable this saddle is (for my particular arse-shape). I was happy with the Spoon shape but this saddle stays comfy for me over longer (5 hours+) rides.

No idea what they cost as it came with a frame but suspect not bargain-bucket as came with a Yeti.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I rather like the Fizik Tundra M3, can be had pretty cheaply and weigh bang on 200g, if you want lighter the M1 is 160g

brakes
    Free Member

I have two versions of the Flite Flow Ti-railed saddle which is a claimed 210g. Perfect for my butt and have done multi-day rides on them with no adverse effects. Probably pick one up for £80.

There is a carbon version at 125g for $$$.

However it’s’ nothing like the Bel Air which I do not get on with.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The SLR Kit Carbonio ? that is really comfy – I used one for ages and have just rejuvenated it for some more action.

That’s an expensive saddle to reject !

nickdavies

SDG circuit carbon for me, but the new ones don’t have the cut out relief channel which I like.

166g, I broke one but I think it was more badly fitted than anything. Not cheap if there’s not a sale on though.

philjunior
    Free Member

Do you have the cutout one? I have a couple, one heavyish with steel rails or similar with cutout  and one to railed with no cutout, the no cutout suits me better.

molgrips
    Free Member

Other option is to re-cover this one I have, but finding the right material seems tricky.

The SDG and WTB both look great for g/£ and I have enjoyed both brands of saddle in the past.

rmgvtec
    Free Member

Another vote for the SLR kit carbonio. After struggling with numbness and saddle sores I took a punt on this and it has been perfect. Theres the right amount of flex in the shell to keep things comfortable.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Other option is to re-cover this one I have

smother it with boot polish and use a heated teaspoon (over the gas hob and with some insulation on the handle) and work the polish into the leather – used to do it to smooth out toecaps on boots when i was a cadet and have just rejuvenated a pretty knackered SLR. You lose all the transfers though.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Superstar racer saddle is supposedly ~160g, I’ve hovered over the buy button in so many sales when it goes sub £30, but resisted pressing the trigger.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Strip the flite and ride it without a covering.

Surprisingly comfy.

Similarly the SLR actually although that will boot you up the arse over bumps.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Fabric Scoop Pro is 200g and very comfortable.

Theres also a Fabric Line Pro with relief channel which is circa 180g.

windyg
    Free Member

I have an Unbranded carbon one, full carbon saddle 100g used it twice and I felt battered.

larrydavid
    Free Member

I quite like my San Marco Aspide.

Around 180g and I’ve picked them up for £30 (on one); £30 (ebay – ex demo saddle); £10 (ebay, second hand, a bit tatty but ok)

parkesie
    Free Member

Go nuts fabric do a all carbon one

onandon
    Free Member

SLR xp. Xp is extra padding and still 160grams

paule
    Free Member

Superstar one is only £22.50 now if you spend over £60 (so another £15 on top of the £45 saddle price) and use the code on their website

mattyfez

There are Shirley better ways to save weight than at contact points where ergonomics rule. Ti rails maybe but how light can a saddle realistically get before it sacrifices ergonomics for an inconsequential and uncomfortable weight loss?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Start saving weight on your saddle after you’ve saved weight on your

Rims

Spokes

Tyres

Bars

Seatpost

Comfort is worth more than a few grams.

andrewh
    Free Member

Hmm. I use Flite SLR on five bikes, and do 24hr races on them no problem. Can’t think of any others to recomend. My shorts are a mix of Impsport, Inverse and Scimitar if that makes any difference? None of them vastly expensive shorts but work for me. Cheaper option than a new saddle

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Stripped SLR and work through the pain barrier to enlightenment.

Northwind

SDG Circuit carbon here- pisstakingly expensive (I didn’t pay the rrp!) but light and for me, comfy. Comfy’s so subjective though, I find my Charge Knife really comfy but I bet for other people it’d be like… ur, a knife

Keva
    Free Member

I find my Charge Knife really comfy but I bet for other people it’d be like… ur, a knife

I suffered for a long time trying all sorts of different saddles until I found the Charge Knife. It is the best saddle I’ve ridden on for years. Not quite as comfy as the Spoon mind, but the Spoon is a bit of a lump.

geex
    Free Member

@molgrips – Want to sell me your old SLR 135 ?
    PM me

molgrips
    Free Member

Start saving weight on your saddle after you’ve saved weight on your

Thanks for the wisdom but I’ve been doing this for a while.and have a pretty good handle on what my priorities are. And, if you read the thread again you should see I’m looking to add weight and comfort.

epicyclo

The weight you save on a saddle is added to the weight of discomforts on a ride…. 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

except that a lot of people like that light SLR because it is comfy…

plus-one

Stripped slr here and comfy. Slr has bugger all padding on to start with it’s the flex that gives comfort not 2mm of foam 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Weight weenie saddles’ is closed to new replies.