Weight training to improve performance.

Home Forum Bike Forum Weight training to improve performance.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Weight training to improve performance.
  • Macavity

Some people might have read the title of the original post and thought weight training = training with weights

But
    ” Most of the stuff Danny Hart is shown to be doing with Wadsworth and in Minaar’s thing(who’s meant to be the best in the business for mtb coaching in the UK) are either core work or plyometrics. Although I guess is depends what you define strength training as, but most people really mean resistance training with the aim of increasing strength.”
    Thanks for the “guess” ollie51

I used to do a weekly circuit training session that my old bike/running club ran, along with riding mtb or running pretty much every day. I thought the circuits were just a laugh and didnt think much of it, until I moved away and didnt do it any more.
    After a year of just riding and running, cue hideous stiffness and all sorts of issues.
    I now run my own circuits session in the garden or living room with friends and I’m back to feeling good again. I feel strong on the bike and get up in the morning without pain.
    I do mainly body-weight exercises but also use light weights and those big rubber bands. Most of the things I use cost less than a tenner.
    I do love kettlebells though… I find them really fun and you don’t notice you’re essentially doing a full hour on non-stop squats.
    I find exercises by reading articles in magazines (Outdoor fitness is good) and on-line. Anything you can find on strength training for running will most likely be good for riding. There is lots more info on running than riding.
    Or go to a circuits class? They’re usually very good fun and all the equipment is provided.
    I can certainly attest to the fact that you won’t put on bulk. Barely a visible muscle on me, but I feel stronger.

ollie51

Re this – http://anthonycolpo.com/cycling-and-bone-health-why-cyclists-must-lift-weights/

Interesting – I wonder if typical professional and elite cyclists have low bone density from birth, could be one of the many genetic pre-requisites, like a monster vo2 max and exceptional metabolic efficiency. Obviously riding road all the time doesn’t help this.

Whilst the article concludes that one should lift weights if you’re a die hard roadie, it also provides another implied conclusion – regular mtb’ing/running will improve bone density too. More mtb/cx anyone?

Premier Icon jpacey
    Subscriber

as mentioned earlier strength training isn’t just going to the gym and bulking up (maxial strength training will cause hypertrophy or an increase in muscle bulk but lower level strength training is thought to improve the efficiency of the neuro-muscular complex not increase size). It can range from motor control exercises which help restore normal muscle patterning all the way up to maximal strength, power training (with plyometrics and ballistic movements)and can incorporate sensory motor control training which essentially improves your balance (when working lower limbs/trunk)
    I believe strength training (when done appropriately) can be very useful for mountain bikers for reducing the risk of injury by addressing muscle imbalances caused by the repetitive action of cycling and by increasing the resilience of the soft tissues (muscle/tendon) to stress meaning you will be less likely to develop muscle strains/tendonopathies.
    Because mountain biking involves bursts of strength and power, training these qualities can only improve performance as well. For example, if you need a burst of power to clean the top of a technical climb then power training for your legs will come in useful or if you find your forearms/quads get tired on long descents building up strength/endurance in the gym will also help.
    If time is limited consider strength training during the winter months when the weather is grim and the woods are sloppy. This is what I do but I am getting a bit soft

Most of the stuff Danny Hart is shown to be doing with Wadsworth and in Minaar’s thing(who’s meant to be the best in the business for mtb coaching in the UK) are either core work or plyometrics. Although I guess is depends what you define strength training as, but most people really mean resistance training with the aim of increasing strength

He also helped Liam Killeen a bit too

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txCP2JV03yE[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7yTIHUBpb8[/video]

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Weight training to improve performance.’ is closed to new replies.