Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Weight training – more and less or less and more
  • olddog

I’m working more weight into my gym sessions – should I be looking towards bigger weights with lower reps or lower weight with higher reps?

Looking to build strength and stability but not necessarily bulk, not point dragging round loads of unused muslec mass – the body builder types in the gym seem to do endless sets of (what I guess for them) are at a relatively low weight – perhaps that suggest volume works for them to build big muscles, which is not what I’m after.

Jossie

I’ve always been told to combine one slow heavy lift with a fast light one to prevent bulking up. So for example deadlift (slow heavy) with Cleans or Snatch. Would recommend getting some coaching first though as you can do a lot of damage with poor technique.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Big weights and low reps is what you want for strength.

You’ll only put bulk on if you up your calorie intake.

Macavity
    Free Member

Macavity
    Free Member

Depends what your goals are.

Weight training… Chris Hoy style

footflaps

A good read is Dan John’s “Never Let Go”. With regard to the explosive power Olympic lifts he reckons you only have 12 good quality lifts in you per session, so definitely a case of less is more if you want to maintain quality. I tend to do one of two things, either a lot of low weight reps if I want to work on form / conditioning muscle memory; or a small number of reps working up to one or two sets of 3/5 at around 85% max. I only try and lift at 100% maybe once a fortnight or less.

olddog

Thanks, looks like I had the right idea-ish

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Weight training – more and less or less and more’ is closed to new replies.