Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Weight & physics
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

it was 6am …. i was just being dificult 😉

ndthornton
    Free Member

I’ve never lost my camelback on a rough descent

Ride harder!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“a second tube if its a long, middle of nowhere ride (flatting 2 tubeless tyres or destroying 2 tubes is pretty damn rare but it will leave you stranded),”

what if you flat three times ?

i once punctured 5 times in one 4 hour race in durham was horrendous. had to keep going as it was a multisports adventure race over 2 days and this was the last event. damn quarry stone and paper thin rocket rons – sliced through like hot butter knife through brie. BUT i never once lost my bottle – even on the steep stuff 😉

D0NK

what if you flat three times ?

puncture repair kit already in the list 🙂
    (admittedly i just wrote “patches”)
    5 i think is my best/worst aswell, peak district lots of rocky downhills, got really quite cross after the 5th

ahwiles
    Free Member

DrP – Member

” you’ve got to lose a LOT (litres) of water before it reduces your performance by any measureable amount, and if you lose litres of water, you’re lighter, so can afford a little loss in performance.”

Any evidence for this?
    As there is plenty of evidence to the contrary i.e 5% loss in total water, (which for a 70kg male is likely to be only 2-3L) can have performance impact.

DrP

‘only 2 to 3 litres’ – “ONLY” **** me, that’s a LOT of sweat.

chief9000 – Member

Hydration is actually super important. A 2% drop, and over, in body weight (through dehydration) has a measurable effect on performance.

so does carrying enough water to stay ‘perfectly’ hydrated.

like i said, i’m trolling a little, of course drinking is important, but you’ve got to sweat a lot before the impact on performance can be measured.

D0NK

very easy for me on a mildly warm ride i reckon 🙂 you do remember we exhale a lot of water too right?

First google hit suggests at rest we sweat .45L and exhale .35L a day.

Northwind

trail_rat – Member

Everything else is repairable with my multi tool , pump and tube.

It is an excellent tube which repairs more than one flat, I should get one of those.

trail_rat
    Free Member

no its a “superior” branded tube 😉

globalti
    Free Member

You’ll sweat less if you buy a road bike and get properly fit.

In the hills you can just drink from streams; it’s far nicer than tap water.

Sui
    Free Member

Defo off the bike for singletrack stuff, on bike for distance. Ref the comments about carrying too much in a CB, it all depends on how far you a re going and who you a re with, me;

Topeak McGuyver
    Leatherman
    Drop out
    Zip ties
    Tape (electrical)
    kitchen knive
    tube
    First field dressing
    tourniquet
    pump
    6mm hex (spares)
    4mm hex + stars (spares)
    washers
    patches
    bladder
    space blanket

so far in the last 3 months they’ve all been used to get others out of a pickle. (excpet FFD and TQ…thankfully)

njee20
    Free Member

First google hit suggests at rest we sweat .45L and exhale .35L a day

Right… so say you’re out for 3 hours, that’s 0.1l sweated and exhaled as ‘normal’. So… near as dammit sod all!

Northwind

If you breathe and sweat at your average rate while riding, sure.

D0NK

First google hit suggests at rest we sweat .45L and exhale .35L a day

😉

no idea how much it is during exercise, I was just pointing out we exhale (and pee of course) water aswell, I was surprised how high the exhale figure was next to sweating, wonder if it’s proportionally similar during exercise aswell or whether sweating becomes a much higher figure compared.

njee20
    Free Member

If you breathe and sweat at your average rate while riding, sure.

No no, you misunderstand. The point was “it’s not about how much you sweat, just through the normal course of life you lose tonnes of sweat every second, therefore I need a 3 litre Camelbak to get me round one lap of the Twrch trail”.

Just observing that’s as near as dammit insignificant in the ‘how much fluid did I lose whilst riding’ debate.

chief9000
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member

chief9000 – Member
    Hydration is actually super important. A 2% drop, and over, in body weight (through dehydration) has a measurable effect on performance.

so does carrying enough water to stay ‘perfectly’ hydrated.

like i said, i’m trolling a little, of course drinking is important, but you’ve got to sweat a lot before the impact on performance can be measured.

Well mr ahwiles, in the end its all down to you and your personal preferences. So you can choose whether you carry water or not and make your own decision. The generally accepted IOC issued guidelines for sport and recommend that you rehydrate with a litre of fluid per hour of sport.

Should you carry water? like I said up to you. If you are about for an hour, probably not that critical, however after 2 hours I would say that it would become important. You ask whether carrying the water would adversly affect your performance, of course there will be a trade off . However if you open your mind a little, I would say that ultimately carrying the water could provide you with an additional longer term advantage.

At the moment when you are your strongest, you are carrying more water and thus weight. This means pushing your muscles that much more beyond their limits (in other words training). Next time you are out you will be a shit load faster then you can go and tell your mum that you beat all your friends in the race at school. 😉

Bullseye!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Always keep everything on my back, not as if tools, spares and water are heavy. Usually got a litre or 2 (bottles, as in volvic or whatever) In my bag, rarely more.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Weight & physics’ is closed to new replies.