Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Weight of the Hope Tech brakes.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Just browsing and noticed that wiggle have listed the X2 as 340 grms,. the M4 at around 460 grms and the V2 as abot 540 grms.

Is there really 200 grms of material between the X2 and V2? Surely not.

peteimpreza

Does that include rotors and mounting kit?

The Tech M4 I have just fitted 'feels' ( in a highly scientific way ) lighter than that.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'd guess the there can't be much in the rotors if anything (are they not common) and the mounts are the same I though. I was just wondering, if it was only a few grammes, are the V2s worth having over the M4?

yetiguy
    Free Member

Deliberated for ages about getting the v2s over the m4s, but being a bigger guy, i decided that i needed the extra stopping power.

Weighed them this evening.

203 rotor = 210 grams
    160 rotor = 124 grams

Understandably an increase in weight of 86 grams (rolling weight, though)

However the v2s were lighter than the m4s

v2 = 343 grams
    m4 = 352 grams

So all in all an increase of 77grams, not as bad as i thought, but hopefully significant stopping power improvement.

DickBarton

I don't think they are that heavy but they aren't featherweight either. I replaced my Hayes Stroker Carbons with a set of Hope M4s – holding both in my hands they felt about the same weight – the M4 looks much heavier but it doesn't feel it (saying that I doubt I'd be able to discern the difference of the grammage).

I thought about the V2's but decided they were too pricey for the amount of braking I do (far too much and not going downhill fast enough to justify them in my own head), so went for the M4 as I tried a set of X2 brakes and thought they didn't feel quite as powerful as I'd hoped.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for doing that weight in. Real world figures help a lot. I can also compare that to the E4s I'd be taking off if I did it.

However, just to add another though, I might have read that the V2 comes standard with organic pads but the M4 (and X2) come with sintered pads. Might this account for some of the comments about the power of the V2s?

Onzadog
    Free Member

anyone?

DickBarton

Bikeradar had a review of a load of discs…I think they were all changed to run the same type of pad i.e. sintered and the results were then published…can't find it now…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Isn't that part of the "big brake test"? I thought they left the original pads in for that whatever they were.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Weight of the Hope Tech brakes.’ is closed to new replies.