Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 250 total)
  • Weight loss – can I do it?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

nickc

yeah sorry, it’s a bit mangled! It’s early, and I’ve a cold!

I’m not having a go, so please don’t think me a dick. Not firing on all cylinders myself this morning, which is probably why I struggled .

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

To be fair, even in it’s discombobulated state, it makes more sense than most of what is posted on here monkey dishwasher staircase.

KennySenior
    Free Member

I bring the water cooler bottles in to the office from the garage, two at a time. They’re 19kg each and every time I do it I think about the difference losing 2 or 2.5 of them will make.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soobalias
    Free Member

^ woman i work with lost a lot of weight, the look on her face when i pointed out that the 19L water bottle she can barely lift was the equivalent of what she had lost. invited her to grab a full one and go up the stairs!

good work KS.

till this year, i have never dieted, anyone who has met me will know why.
    finding myself 3/4st overweight, i thought i would give MFP a go. As an office worker it suggests i want 2100 cals, to lose 1lb a week, 1600 (ish)

wow, first two weeks were really tough, almost always hungry, constantly thinking about food and calories and exercise (to buy back a beer or two)
    its been interesting to see my consumption habits laid out before me. The friday night pizza after a few pints, the cornish pasty and chips for lunch….. wiping out close to a total days calories

its given me a new respect for those folk who have a significant amount to lose. Also make sure i dont creep up again.

this thread might be keeping you motivated Kenny Senior, but its inspiring and motivating a whole load of other folk.

jimjam
    Free Member

soobalias

till this year, i have never dieted, anyone who has met me will know why.
    finding myself 3/4st overweight, i thought i would give MFP a go. As an office worker it suggests i want 2100 cals, to lose 1lb a week, 1600 (ish)

wow, first two weeks were really tough, almost always hungry, constantly thinking about food and calories and exercise (to buy back a beer or two)
    its been interesting to see my consumption habits laid out before me. The friday night pizza after a few pints, the cornish pasty and chips for lunch….. wiping out close to a total days calories

Yes. MFP really makes you think about whether to have that can of coke or whatever. Or really incentivizes you to ride your bike if you’ve been lazy. I used it track my eating over a year and lost 13lbs, certainly not impressive by the OP’s standards but then I didn’t want to crash diet.
    I’m now starting to use MFP to look at my macros/micros and keep track of how I’m eating as opposed to just calories.

^woman i work with lost a lot of weight, the look on her face when i pointed out that the 19L water bottle she can barely lift was the equivalent of what she had lost. invited her to grab a full one and go up the stairs!

Cheeky bugger.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Very happy to hear that it’s helping other people too.

I’ve also found the calorie counting a real eye opener. At my weight and activity level I should be able to eat 3000 calories a day without gaining weight, so I must have been a long way over that to get up to 20.5 stone.

br
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused now. If you think there’s not 8st to be lost there, how is she wrong? That’s me on 1st Jan weighing 131kg or 20.6 stone.

If that is you weighing 20st I’d hate to guess how much some of the folk I see in the street weigh…

My wife is also on a ‘programme’. She though has one day where she records nothing (in or out), working for her though.

KennySenior
    Free Member

KennySenior
    Free Member

So is that just a sort of eat what you like day then? I fear that I could understand a weeks good work in much less than a day 🙂

Yes, 20.6 stone in that photo. Anybody who’s asked me how much I weighed then, or indeed now, is surprised when I tell them. I guess it’s better to not look as heavy as you are than the other way round.

br
    Free Member

So is that just a sort of eat what you like day then? I fear that I could understand a weeks good work in much less than a day

No, not at all.

It’s usually Sunday (for a full roast), but last week it was Saturday as we went out for Valentine’s. But on the flip side she also doesn’t wear her FitBit so any exercise etc also isn’t included.

mogrim

Yes, 20.6 stone in that photo. Anybody who’s asked me how much I weighed then, or indeed now, is surprised when I tell them. I guess it’s better to not look as heavy as you are than the other way round.

I find that very surprising – 131kg??? Obviously you were overweight, but I’d have put that at 100kg max!

bombjack
    Free Member

I’m also 5ft 10″ with a build that mainly consists of shoulders and thighs ( rugby league and Dh as a twenty and thirty something tend to do that to a body ) my weight ranges from 76-82kg depending on season and dedication to a fairly strict cv / weights schedule. You can defo go that low, in fact I think you’ll be amazed at how much bulk you loose (ie what you thought was muscle) without compromising core strength and sporting ability. Well done so far, keep it up!

KennySenior
    Free Member

Might have been 130.5 mogrim, looks like I took the pics on 3rd Jan not 1st – but yeah, that’s at 131 kg or as good as.

Bombjack that’s good to hear. Jimjam made the point a couple of weeks ago along the lines of when have you ever seen an unhealthy looking 12st and 5’10” man, which is very true.

There’s no rugby for me these days so no need for loads of bulk other than for biking, swimming and walking, which isn’t much I suppose.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Hi Kenny. Well done so far mate, and a great thread. Am on a similar journey, started the year at 270lbs. 248lbs this morning. Weight coming off using MFP and cycling/gym. And no beer. Goodness I miss beer.

My only tip is protein bars for lunch. I’ve managed to convince myself that a 200ish cal protein bar does for lunch. Any good tips you’ve discovered?

scratch
    Free Member

Packet cous-cous + tuna or mackerel with tomato sauce for lunch maybe more filling than a protein bar and not far off the cals.

If you eat meat swap beef, pork and lamb for chicken or fish,
    swap fruit for vegetables. Small changes but can add up.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Any good tips you’ve discovered

Sorry Tom, only just seen this. I don’t know, I think it’s mindset more than anything. But, I do try and eat lots of fruit/veg because that seems to fill me up quite well for the amount of calories they have, plus vitamins and so on. And exercise is definitely helping. I still don’t think it’s as important as eating right, but I’m convinced it’s making a difference.

So today’s weight is 116.3 kg which is 2.7 kg lost this week and 14.7 kg since NYD. So I’ve properly smashed the 2 stone milestone, the next one is getting under 18 stone (another 1.8 kg). I’ve been experimenting a bit with when I eat, still sticking roughly to 2000 calories a day, and have found that eating a big breakfast (800-900 calories) then lunch and dinner of roughly 500 each seems to be the best way of keeping hunger at bay. A small breakfast has me feeling very hungry by mid morning, the big one doesn’t, so this seems to be the best option for me just now.

I’ve also had a good bit of exercise this week, at least 1 hour a day walking the dogs, some days 2, plus an hour swimming in the week and 2 hrs on the bike last night.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not doing too badly then!

KennySenior
    Free Member

Down to 116.0kg today, which is only 0.3 down on last weeks weight. That said, I’m having doubts as to the accuracy of my scales as I got values of 116.1and 114.9 immediately after each other one day this week. So I’m questioning whether I really lost 2.7kg last week ???

I have been quite under the weather this week and not only have I not been very good food wise, I have not been out exercising much either. Perhaps in the circumstances I should be glad to just be down a bit more. If I’m completely honest I have slacked off quite a bit during February and got a bit fed up of ‘dieting’. This isn’t a surprise though, I was kind of expecting it, and I think I’ve managed to stay on track with exercise – looking at my food diary I averaged 2473 kcal a day during February, so still an average (roughly, given the vagueries of calculating calories used) deficit of about 850 a day with the exercise included.

So overall it’s 15kg lost in 9 weeks which is ahead of the 1kg a week schedule. I think on balance I am quite pleased although it will take some mental effort to get back to being disciplined and keep it dropping off slowly. I now have a weekend away in London with some mates so I will not be counting calories or beer for the next two days 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff, a wee blow out won’t hurt too badly. Keep it going sir.

KennySenior
    Free Member

A strange couple of weeks and hard to say how I’ve done as I will explain. Not that well I don’t think, but it’s been a tricky couple of weeks.

I’ve been ill with quite a nasty virus, and on top of that I came off my antidepressants about three weeks ago, which has meant my mood has been quite low for a lot of that time (a normal side effect of coming off them I am assured), and consequently my commitment/interest in the ‘diet’ has been fairly non-existent.

Added to that my scales went back to Salter who have replaced them under warranty (top customer service from them BTW, no receipt, no idea when I bought them, replaced no quibble) so who knows what difference there is between them and the old scales???

Then there was the blowout all day boozing and eating weekend, plus a couple more evenings out with family visiting, for each of which I left the calorie counting at the door of the pub.

So today, on the new scales, I am 118.7kg. That’s 2.7kg up from a fortnight ago although on a different set of scales. Not what I would have hoped for but to be honest after the last couple of weeks I don’t feel disappointed. I can only go by the new scales now, but on that basis I am STILL 12.3kg lighter than I was on New Years Day which is about one quarter of a good crap under 2 stone. It is still over the 1kg a week target I originally had, so while March has franky been unsuccessful so far, the overall picture is still positive, I am over my illness, the coming-off-antidepressants-dip has I think passed, so it’s all to play for from here on.

jwt
    Free Member

You have got a positive outlook there Kenny, IMHO that is a large percentage of what is needed to keep on the weight loss program. I’ve now lost 5.7kg since I started in January. I’ve had some weeks when I was so hungry all the time and I could’ve killed for a Kebab and six pints, not that I haven’t eaten Kebabs or drunk six pints but at least I know how many calories I’m shoveling in when I do and make allowances elsewhere or ride my bike more. Keep on keeping on, heading in the right direction there!

bones
    Free Member

Good stuff, Kenny. Another positive is the improving weather; it’s getting much more enticing to pop out for a ride/walk/run.
    I’ve recently started on MyFitnessPal, and am loving it. Much more focused on what/how much I scoff.
    A mate was showing me his new fitbit the other day, and going on about doing 10k steps a day. Thinking of getting one.
    Keep up the good work!

wilburt
    Free Member

Been reading through some of the posts- well done to all.

I was 115kg a couple of years ago, now 88kg ideally I would like to get to 80kg but it does seem to get more difficult to shift weight as you have less to go at.

That said, I’m not in a rush and know my weight fluctuates through the year so I would be happy with 85kg this summer and 83kg next and so on for a few years.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Somewhere in the 80s is what I’m aiming for so good to know it’s possible.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Lost 2.2kg this week, making 14.5kg overall, and almost recovered the gains over the previous 2-3 weeks.

Got a nice morning out up some munros and a good bit of swimming this week (front crawl is coming on, I can at least get up and down the pool doing something resembling it and not stopping half way along to choke).

Very happy with this week’s progress.

Next milestone is the 3 stone mark (19.1kg so for me that’s 111.9kg) which I am hoping to get to by one month from now when I am going on a walking trip for a week. Already noticing a big difference in my pace and stamina when out walking from what I’ve lost so far so more of the same can only make it even better.

timraven

Fantastic thread Kenny, well done and keep it up.

ton

Kenny Senior, inspired by you thread, i eventually started on a new eating plan myself last weekend.
    just got weighed this morning. 7lb loss since sunday. obviously a fair bit of fluid to start with, but will be aiming for a 2lb a week loss now until i get back down to my 18 stone target.

cheers mate for the inspiration.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Take a week off. Relax.

Then get back on the healthy diet.

Stay positive! You can do it!

KennySenior
    Free Member

No worries ton, great effort – I wonder if I’ve had a similar first-week-of-diet type water loss this week after my 2-3 weeks of not sticking to my diet well, but either way it’s weight that’s off and not because of dehydration so it still counts 🙂

Frankenstein – cheers, had 2-3 not great weeks before this week so I think I’ve had my time off it this month!

bearnecessities

Splendid stuff Mr Kenny, keep updates coming 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Got a nice morning out up some munros

I like this bit, you’re very lucky.

I’ve now got the Three Peaks virtually on my doorstep (to remind you I relocated into the Dales, thanks to insurance, after my house flooded on Boxing Day, with the intent of getting out as much as possible) and been making the most of it since the weather improved. I broke my collarbone last year and went back to 82kgs, which is an obvious tyre around my waist. In the last couple of weeks I’ve hoofed up and down Pen Y Gent (numerous times) and Ingleborough in under 2hrs each and Whernside in 2hrs15mins. Whernside will need a jogging pace the do in under 2hrs, so that’s my next goal. I’m doing well against MyFitnessPal targets, but not losing weight, but staying positive and putting it down to increased muscle. I did pure weight loss with MFP about 18 months ago, with just MTB once a week and got down to 72kgs. Although I think my lack of losing weight this time around might be more beer orientated than muscle gain, not sure tho, best to stay positive. MFP definitely helps me keep a check on the mindless choc and crisps consumption tho.

dave661350

Keep at it Kenny, a great thread. 8)

beej

Agreed, I’m lucky enough to be able to control my weight OK, but I always click on this thread when it appears to see the latest progress.

soobalias
    Free Member

Keep at it Kenny, always nice to see this thread back on the front

try to ignore the minor ups and downs, you have done 15kg in 3months, the clocks are about to change now giving you more active hours in the day

scratch
    Free Member

Great work, keep going! 🙂

KennySenior
    Free Member

01/04/2016 – Week 13 update.

Early start today as Guy Martin’s coming round for breakfast then a road race from here to York. He’s desperate to beat me and said he’s on a good run at the moment so fancies his chances this week.

Anyway, not a great week for the old weight loss – put on 2kg, but it wasn’t really my fault.

Some of me old mates from the SAS asked me to go down to Brecon to show their new lads how we did things back in the day. I took them in on a 100 mile speed march and by the end they were all knackered. I felt sorry for them so I took them to this old cottage up the back of Sennybridge were I used to take the Duchess of York when I was shagging her before she married that grinning fanny out the Navy. As I walked in I spotted a claymore set up in the hallway, with ‘To Kenny, love from Andy’ tippexed on the front. I shouted to the lads but they’re not as clued up as I am about these things and they just stood there looking baffled. The only way to stop them all getting blown up was for me to jump in front of it and take the hit myself, which I did. That’s how come I’ve ended up with 2 kg of ball bearings in my arse and legs, hence the weight gain. I sorted out with a couple of field dressings but they’re in too deep to dig out with a pointy stick like I used to in the old days. Anyway, I’m fine now.

Here’s a picture from when I was in charge of Maggie’s personal bodyguards. This one was from when we accompanied her to open a new shopping centre in Bradford. I’m the one on the far right.

Hopefully next week will be better.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kenny senior is a name well earned sir! Bravo 😆

theotherjonv

I’m the one second from the left. Mrs T is actually the one on the left. That’s how seriously we had to take her security in Bradford in the early 80’s.

thegreatape
    Free Member

🙂

jamj1974

Good work and a good story too!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 250 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss – can I do it?’ is closed to new replies.