Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Weight loss??
  • curvature
    Free Member

Suggestions please based on value for money…

I have a Orange Clockwork S 29er and want to shed some weight.

Having ridden it a few times I have used the middle and outer rings but not the granny ring so do I go to 1 x 10 as I have done with my Five or 2 x 10

Wheels have Shimano hubs with Mavic 119 rims. Don’t know the weight but they feel heavy compared to my 26″ Hope Hoops. I realise that they are 3″ bigger but the weight difference is really noticeable.

The forks are Rock Shox Recon TK Silver 120mm.

Bars are aluminium so maybe some carbon?

I lok forward to both sensible and sarcastic responses… 😀

jonk

Cheapest way will be tyres and tubes. Does it have the mountain kings on? If so they are wired and heavy oem versions. You will only save a few grams on the bars. The main weight is in the tyres, crankset and fork on that bike.

ton

IDIET
    most folk can loss half a stone. it is nigh on impossible to lose 7lbs off a bike.

tmb467
    Free Member

What he ^^^^^^ said

That plus getting fitter

curvature
    Free Member

Thanks.

I’ve lost half a stone so cant do anymore on that one!

Whats the difference in weight between a Deore and XT crankset?

Didn’t realise the tyres were heavy so will look into that.

Toasty

Whats the difference in weight between a Deore and XT crankset?

100-120g or so, quite a pricey leap though. SLX Is very similar to the XT weight. Carbon bars would be a similar cost for the saving.

Could lose a lot more £1/gram on wheels and tyres.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=496

Seems like a steal at the moment, or his Pacenti/Tesla sets for £259.

tonyd

Lighter wheels/tyres is where you’ll notice the savings, everything else is just noise IMO and it’s better to ensure a good fit rather than save a gramme here and there.

br
    Free Member

Take it to bits, weigh everything. Then look at weights of bits and compare.

avdave2

The more weight you lose as a rider the more effect on power to weight ratio the mass of the bike makes. At 55 kg’s the benefit of losing a kilo off the bike is greater for me than someone who weighs 100 kg. So although it makes sense to try to lose weight yourself at the same time as you do you increase the benefits of losing weight on the bike.

teamslug
    Free Member

+1 for wheels. Rotating mass and all that. Light wheels and tyres and going tubeless will make such a difference and £/gram is cheapest solution.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss??’ is closed to new replies.