Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Weight lifting & MTB
  • PrinceJohn

Following on from the deadlift form thread here, I was wondering what other weight training people here do in the gym to help on the bike?

lightman
    Free Member

Leg press/squat and hamstring curl are the main ones for your legs.
    Push-up,pull-up sit-ups are the other main for top half.
    Also, if you do a lot of cycling, you will not turn into the hulk just by doing gym work, which seems to be the thing thats puts people off.

fasthaggis

Climbing,it’s like gym stuff with more fun. 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have been weight training this year after about 20 years of not bothering. It is AMAZING how much difference it makes!

Squats (especially single leg)
    walking lunges
    deadlifts
    various pull downs and presses

…especially seem to have helped me a lot. My arms and chest are pretty resistant to getting stronger, legs and shoulders have improved immensely. I weigh slightly more, but body fat % is down a bit. So I think power:weight will have improved a good deal.

🙂

ernie

I completely agree with what has been stated above. I was using a programme that included:
    Back squats
    Lunges (holding 20kg disc) and side lunges
    Leg curls
    Press ups
    Plank and various other pilates related exercises
    Kettle ball swings
    Sit ups
    I certainly felt it built some power in the legs and core. This had the benefit of improving my ability to get up steep climbs and maintain good position. I guess the saying “you are only as strong as the weakest link” is true. I did not notice too much of an increase in body weight but was certainly leaner in the upper body.
    The pilates and use of free weights in dynamic exercises was much more beneficial than using weight machines. Also, stay away from smith racks for the back squat – that knackered my back really quickly.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press

Those are the main ones, you can mix up what else you do. Make sure and get the proper form for each or as you increase the weight you’ll break something. YouTube is your friend. Increase the weight slowly but surely and you’ll see results.

Yoga’s good too.

righog
    Free Member

I have done about 6 cross fit session that someone at work is organizing. I was avoiding them at first, but then took the plunge.

After the first session, the next day I felt like I had been run over by a steamroller. Now at six sessions in I dont feel too bad the next day.

The thing I like about them is that you are pushing your own targets so it is equally as hard for the fit people (the ones who have been doing it a while ) as it is for the beginners. I have already seen a big improvement, in what I can manage in each session. It’s also been a good laugh.

Note: I wont be joining a cross fit gym at home as is fӣ$ expensive and you can do most of it at home without much trouble.

It also seems to get a lot of grief online, not sure why but I reckon it’s a good way to add some strength training for Mountain biking.

BoardinBob

Only a matter of time before someone posts about how gym work is a waste of time, they’ve never lifted a weight in their life and they could leave Aaron Gwin for dead…

I did a lot of training for the EWS this year. I couldn’t guarantee I could get braver, but I could get fitter and stronger. Lots of core work, multiple variations of squats, HIIT etc. All good. I slacked off over the summer but I’m back at it now 3 times a week.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Compound lifts for me.

Squats, deadlifts, bench, curls, etc.. Covers most bases.

I truly believe its stopped me from getting seriously hurt having the extra strength.

My routine, which ive been slacking on should be a ABA BAB split of:

Workout A
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Squat 4 8-10
    Bench Press 4 8-10
    Barbell Row 4 8-10
    Military Press 4 8-10
    Seated Calf Raise 2 10-20
    Weighted Sit Up 2 10-20

Workout B
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Deadlift 2 10-15
    Leg Press 2 12-15
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 8-10
    Dumbbell Shrug 4 8-10
    Barbell Curls 4 8-10
    Standing Calf Raise 2 10-20
    Hanging Knee Raise 2 10-25

PrinceJohn

OK cool – I’ve been training with a body builder – so it’s been quite interesting how much importance they place on diet & they’re all a little batshit. But the increase in strength is noticeable, but their way of training doesn’t really work for me, ie back one day, then legs, then arms, then chest, then shoulders I much prefer an all over workout.

jimster01

I do alot of work on the Suspended Trainers and balance balls, certainly adds a new dynamic to the gym.

wrecker
    Free Member

Squats, deadlifts, press, cleans and snatch; the rest I do on a bar and Olympic rings. Kettlebells and a heavy bag are awesome for conditioning.

mcnultycop

Squats every session. Deads and shoulder presses workout A, Bench and bent over rows workout B. 5×5 on everything apart from deadlifts. 45 minutes maximum in the gym.

mjsmke

Chin ups/pull ups + shoulder press twice a week.
    Bench press + tricep dips twice a week.
    Recently added yoga for core strength after a back ingury.

I find it helps for more aggressive riding and pulling the bike around. I put about a stone of muscle on after a year but was quite skinny before.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Weight lifting & MTB’ is closed to new replies.