Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Weeride kid seat…?
  • scottyb88
    Free Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Weeride centre mounted child seats?

Id much rather prefer this option to the rear or front as it will be way more stable but the last bike I saw one fitted to was a Kona Lavadome rocking canties and I’d much rather ride something from this century.

The issue I see is they clamp on the steerer tube but everything worth riding has flush steeper’s and uses integrated headset cups so I can’t see that working.

any ideas??

ajantom

I didn’t use the front part of the clamp on the head tube. Put a bit of old inner tube under the front of it and the top tube and then used some really thick reusable zipties to lock it place.

Worked well, felt and seemed solid cycling around some green/blue runs at Haldon.

I’ll see if I can take a photo to show you what I mean.

jekkyl

Wtf is flush steeper’s?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sockpuppet

We have a weeride (free off a kind chap on here, traded for some of the finest beers) for our little chap, nearly three.

It’s great! You do need a few mm of vertical headtube above the top tube, and I had to tweak the mount at the seat tube too. The seat is fine, the harness is fine though I rarely use it now he’s so big.

the other option seems to be the LOCT (little ones come too) but that’s more money.

wouldn’t ride much off road tbh, they’re sitting directly on the top tube after all so lots of bumps and chatter, but for the school run it’s great (until we get out Thorn three seat tandem next month 😀)

LOCT seems much more suited to of road so maybe look there

majestic

Did the same regarding the cable ties with both of ours – on and off road they are great, solid fittings and enjoyed by both our children.

nixie

Use one daily for the nursery run. Been great over two kids so far. Used to take the eldest of road but you need to be careful and go very slow (neck not strong enough for fast, hurt her a bit once when i went just too fast through a compression I didn’t spot). We did make it up and down the Jenkins crag route near Ambleside though when she was a bit older (very slowly!).

zip
    Free Member

I clamped one on the upper race of the headset without any problems. They are great for the kids as they can see everything in front. I did find it uncomfortable for me after a while though as my knees had to move wide enough to clear their elbows when pedalling.

hot_fiat

Have had one for a number of years. Works really well & the kids have all loved using it. My eldest two have both fallen asleep while using it. Watch out for the cold though as its pretty breezy up front!

I’ve fitted it on: Specialized Crosstrrail, Orange Diva, Alpine 160, Alpine 6 and my One-One Fatty. Three of those have integrated headsets. I’ve not had any bother with them, however I could foresee the clamp eating into some designs.

Best bike to fit it to is the Fatty – the wide cranks make pedalling much more comfortable & the general “squish” of the thing means its better for the kids. Wouldn’t dare take them properly offroad – you strap yourself rigidly to your top tube and roll down a kerb!

Someone on here said Weeride now do a separate clamp to go around the top tube for integrated headsets. I can’t find that on their site though, both in the UK and the Aus –  anyone else seen it?

StirlingCrispin

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Check out the  Macride – particularly for older kids.</span>

http://www.mac-ride.com/

breadcrumb

I use one on my Kona Unit, you only need a few mm of headtube for the clamp to work.

The little one loves it, we ride round the country lanes pointing at baa baas, waving at people and when we see another cyclist shout “bike”!

Doh1Nut

I find mine were a bit too keen to try to hold the handlebars and would have had a go of the brakes if she could have reached them – but she has grown into a bit of a control freak so maybe it was just an early sign.

Second about the cold, especially as they are acting as wind break for you, but at least you can see them and notice this is happening – rather the point of having them sit where you can see them

As a hijack – I have one that needs a new home – based Guildfordish

momo

I have one which I can fit to my Tarn, top tube is too long for it to reach the seat post so I have it mounted to the head tube and seat tube/top tube brace (if it causes the frame to fail I’ll treat it as an excuse to upgrade to a new Cotic!)

LittleMissMomo does feel the cold, we haven’t actually had it out this year yet as we also have a trailer for when it’s a bit cooler, MrsMomo is away this weekend so it might come out saturday for bit of daddy daughter time.

The bow legged riding style definitely takes a bit of getting used to, LMM also likes to dangle her hands out to hit my knees as I’m pedalling too. She was prone to failing asleep in it

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XtAAGk]Cycling with LittleMissMomo[/url] by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

makkag
    Free Member

Mine loves it – actually asks if we can go out on it some days -and i tend to strap his balance bike to my backpack and ride to the bmx track for him to wizz round. its on my hack early 90s mtb and i wouldn’t see much point in putting it on anything better as above its really only a bimble around tool as anything remotely lumpy transfers straight through  the top tube to the poor kids spine. I second or 3rd the cold – went out in January on it and poor mini me’s gloves were not good enough and we had tears from cold .. Cup of tea and cake at the cafe warmed him up luckily enough to get home. i fear there is not to long left for him as hes a big 3 yo and I really need to start him pedaling.

escrs
    Free Member

Mine loves his Thule seat

Nice and stable, easy to swap between mine and my wife’s bike via a spare bracket (£20) and it just mounts to the forks steer tube only

tinybits
    Free Member

I had a weeride and it was great, both kids loved it. If I were in the market today, I’d be looking at that Thule above, less phaf to fit and be able to quickly take off the pub bike. Suspect the seats a little further forward too allowing knees more room.

momo

W’d already bought the weeride before I spotted those Thule seats or we’d have had one of them!

sirromj

Things I don’t like about it are:

* Fork crown knocks against the front of it.

* Heavy (we need to carry bike up steps from our basement flat)

* OH lowered seat so that she can reach ground without leaning bike over means she now rides like a cockney

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i would a Polisport Guppy, front mounted.

have a weeride but these look better. no bar to ‘negotiate’ and still solid with the frame, not the steering.

got them at decathlon.

otherwise, i have a weeride i can send you for not a lot of money, say 20 quid plus postage

pat12
    Free Member

I have a couple of spacers between the headset and the stem and I clamp it to those with a piece of innertube to protect the headset.

i find you can nip it up loose enough so you can still turn the bars but it supports the seat – obviously not ideal but I find it fine for pootling round the woods

like the look of those Thule ones though!

escrs
    Free Member

Jamiesilo

* OH lowered seat so that she can reach ground without leaning bike over means she now rides like a cockney

Ive fitted a £100 dropper post to my bike so when stationary with the seat lowered my feet are flat on the ground, once pedaling and the post is up im at the optimum height for efficient pedaling

stumpy01

Ive fitted a £100 dropper post to my bike so when stationary with the seat lowered my feet are flat on the ground, once pedaling and the post is up im at the optimum height for efficient pedaling

I was just about to post that is what I am thinking of doing with our weeride! My Inbred is only a 16″ frame, I think and there isn’t enough room with the weeride attached to jump forwards off the saddle when coming to a stand-still. So, I have to have the saddle low enough to reach the floor when stopped. Which is a pain, and makes for not a very comfortable pedalling experience when coupled with the bandy-legged nature of riding with it.

I keep debating whether to get a cheap dropper post so I can drop it when coming to a stop to get my feet down, but pop it up when moving for a more comfortable pedalling action.

nixie

Cheap dropper on my wife’s bike has helped her keep a better pedalling position. On my Day One with XL frame I don’t even have to do the bow legged thing :D.

pat12
    Free Member

Mine loves his Thule seat

Hey escrs, can you remember what model yours was??

Yepp or ride-along ??

cheers

natrix
    Free Member

Weerides are a bit like marmite, love it, or hate it beacuse of the knees out cycling style required. I couldn’t get on with mine and much preferred the Hamax rear mounted type.  Try one out before you buy if you can…………

al2000

We really liked our Yepp Mini – youngest grown out of it now so it’s for sale, just not got round to posting an ad for it yet. PM me if interested.

mark90
    Free Member

Had a weeride and now a loct seat on my Dialled PA. Little lad (4) loves it, always asking to go on the orange bike seat. The loct is great when they are big enough as they can stand up on the rougher downhill sections (I can’t pedal with him stood up). I think the whole holding on to the bars and standing thing is good for learning proper independent bikes skills as it gets them used to the position/movement. Generally do blue trails, he likes the bike leaning over through the berms and little <1ft drops. Dropper post does make it so much easier getting on/off.

hot_fiat

That LOCT seat looks fantastic. I know a small person who’d love that.

smashit
    Free Member

As an aside I’ve been offered a deal on ordering a small number of these at a little bit of discount and better shipping. Any interest???

http://www.dolittle.co.nz/product

DoLittle Seat

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Weeride kid seat…?’ is closed to new replies.