Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Weeride curious
  • jsync

i have a 2 1/2 year old that is keen to go on Daddy’s bike.  I like the idea of the weeride but I’m not sure she’ll fit.  She is approx 92cm and 12 ish kg.  Has anyone used one with a similar sized child? Is it only going to be ok for a short period of time?

Also, what’s the difference between the safe ride and classic?  I see the deluxe versions are just extra padding.  I assume that the normal versions would have very slightly more room.

Thanks in advance

markoulini

I have a weeride kanagro. I don’t think there is much size difference in the styles. If you ever come past Bath you can have mine for £20.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

My daughter is about 85cm and just over 11kg and fits fine in a weeride deluxe. The woman I bought it off said her 5 year old was still using it before she sold it, they don’t look big enough for children that age though.

Depending on the bike it goes on the feet rests can interfere with the top of the fork when steering, make sure you check before you start riding! I find riding bow legged gets a bit uncomfortable after a while but other than that they are really good and definitely the best place on the bike for a child to sit.

sockpuppet

My two and half year old is fine in ours, which we got free off here btw!

Beware when they realise they can reach the bars and join in with steering

You end up pedalling knees-out a little bit it’s fine. Arm length and getting a helmet in the chest/chin can be the limiting factor.

catfood
    Free Member

Look at the Bobike Mini, I used one til my son and daughter were five, says three or 15kg but I went beyond that, attaches to the stem rather than the seat tube so sits a bit higher, doesn’t interfere with your knees so much and if you do crash the bars don’t hit the kid.

https://bobike.com/en/product/cat/frontseats

jam-bo

Macride, Bit more money but loads more fun

ajantom

I’d say she’s getting to the max size for the Weeride. At about the same age & size I swapped to a trailer.

Felt much safer, and you can go a lot further, as the knees out position with the WR is not conducive to long distance riding.

acidchunks

Still have my nearly 4 year old in hers. She’s 107cm.

Although her feet won’t fit in the foot holds any more.  I had to remove them and use the one off the tyke toter I bought to replace the weeride (but she refuses to use as she’s not strapped in).

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

My son is 21 months old, very big for his age and fits fine. Initial issue was bike fit and pedalling/his helmet hitting my chest.  I bought a tarn with a massive long top tube and carbon fork (feet hit suspension fork) and i now i am almost pedalling normally. He loves it and laughs his head off going round berms.

I also found it needed a bike with exposed headtube and skinny top tube to grip on well enough. Didnt fit my nomad, wifes anthem or either of our road bikes and there was only a couple bikes i have been able to fit it to.

HungryHungryHippo

If you’re anywhere near Raynes Park, SW London you can have our old one for free.

ajantom

I also found it needed a bike with exposed headtube and skinny top tube to grip on well enough. Didnt fit my nomad, wifes anthem or either of our road bikes and there was only a couple bikes i have been able to fit it to.

Definitely this….won’t work with drops, and the fittings would only work properly with an external 1 1/8 headtube/headset.

I did bodge it to work in my Krampus, which has a 44mm headtube. It involved padding it with old inner tube and a couple of industrial strength zipties. Seemed quite solid, though the wife wasn’t convinced. 🤔

tomd
    Free Member

We’ve got one, didn’t really get on with it.

It was good when our daughter was small, like 9months. Quite quickly there wasn’t enough space between my chest and her head. Also, I had to ride with my legs a bit splayed which was fine apart from the hills (so not good if you live somewhere hilly!). Also, it didn’t fit the head tube very well on my 29er (it needs a “bare” bit of head tube above the top tube weld, which a lot of 29er don’t have).

I was planning to modify my town bike to fit it but never got round to it. Basically it would work best on a sit-up-and-beg town bike.

Others swear by them, and for the 3 or 4 months I used it it was good. It just didn’t seem to suit our household combo of bikes and body shapes.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

https://www.flickr.com/gp/154371891@N07/02nX80

This show you how it sits on the tarn and how much pedal room i have.

And on the shan my seat is almost touching the back of his seat.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/154371891@N07/3F5T87

Also note how the lad fell asleep there..

carlosg
    Free Member

Used one for both my children , the eldest loved it . We did the entire ‘Camel Trail’ out and back with it (about 40 miles) as mentioned you do have to ride a little bow legged but its not really much of a problem you’re hardly likely to be hammering about with your precious cargo. My youngest however hated it with a passion and used to steer for you/pull brakes and try to put his feet into the front spokes.

I had to alter the frame bar so it would fit Mrscarlos XS Cannondale , When I sold it on ebay Weeride contacted me about the alteration and adjusted their own design to fit frames with shorter top tubes (and sent the buyer a new bar) The ‘Dale also needed longer bolts to fit the larger diameter head tube.

jsync

OK, mixed opinions but I think I’ll give it a go, will it fit one of these?

jsync

Thanks Markoulini and Hungryhungryhippo but I’m in Lincs so miles away.

jsync

Stevemuzzy, it looks like he’s having a great time 👍

WillH

I had a Wee-Ride, it fit fine but I didn’t get on with it (Google-search the forum for past threads on Wee-rides, plenty of useful info) but love the Yepp Mini.  Also, tomd’s comment above.  My 25-month old will shortly be moving from a Yepp to a DoLittle top-tube-mounted seat:

as soon as I find time to fit it.  At 14kg he’s still got a kilo to go before he hits the official limit for the Yepp, but he’s tall and the back of his head is starting to contact my chest, despite my monkey arms.

Back to your question… depends on the combined geometry of you, your daughter, and the bike with the seat fitted, as to how long you’ll get any use out of it.  You pretty much need to test one out really.  Or maybe buy one second-hand, then you can on-sell it without much loss if you don’t get on with it.

hot_fiat

Have had a weeride for years. Supposedly they guarantee it’ll work up to 4 yrs old. Possibly correct. A 2.x year old will fit fine though & my daughter (2.75) still uses ours. Just watch out for for the cold as it’s quite breezy up front. That said she’ll happily fall asleep while riding on the lectern bit, so long as she’s in something warm and windproof.

As for bike fit – yep it can be tricky especially with some integrated headsets. We’ve managed to run ours on the following: Specialized Crosstrail; Orange Alpine 160, alpine 6 & Diva; One-One Fatty. Of these the fatty is the best bike for weeriding as it has the soggiest ride and widest crankset to alleviate the knees-out issue. My wife struggles with the lack of room between her and the bars on the Diva. The headtube clamp is a bit agricultural, but seems to work. I pad out underneath it with some old inner tube. Seatpost clamp is equally agricultural but effective. Carry a  10mm ring spanner to meddle with the nylocks.

neilc1881
    Free Member

I really like mine, as does my boy (2 and a half too).  I put flat pedals on so I can put my feet a bit wider when pedalling.  As for putting it on the Spesh you pictured there, you might find it’s a bit short of space around the top of the headtube where the front clamp goes.  It just fits on my Charge with less than 1mm clearance before it would be gripping the upper headset cup.  It’s out in the barn somewhere but if I get a chance I’ll measure the frame and clamp.

tomd
    Free Member

jsync – I think the bike you pictured might have the same problem as my Salsa El Mariachi.

The clamp looks like this: https://goo.gl/images/hbY1bE

It needs something to grip onto above the top tube / head tube weld. That looks quite short above there and an integrated head set so the claps has a tendency to slip up.

jsync

I’ve spoken to them and they also do an adapter for oversize or low stack headsets.

http://www.weerideuk.co.uk/product_details.php?ProductID=107

Essentially it isna u bracket that also mounts on the top tube.

pdw
    Free Member

Brilliant fun but not that practical would be my summary.  It’s great being able to talk easily to the kids as you’re going along, and for them to be able to see everything.  Both of ours absolutely love it, and will go on it whenever they can despite the fact that they’re both so big that I can barely turn the handlebars because it hits their knees!

The other challenge is that there’s not enough room between the saddle and seat to stand astride the cross bar, so if you like to have your saddle nice and high, getting a foot down when you stop is quite awkward.

Definitely use flats, otherwise you may have an exciting moment when you discover that even if you can get clipped in and pedal, unclipping normally involves twisting your knee inwards a bit…

natrix
    Free Member

Hmmm, my previous post appears to have been deleted….

Anyway, imho some people get on with the weeride and some don’t. Neither me nor Mrs natrix could cope with the required knees out riding style and so changed for a Hamax seat where the child is behind the rider. This was a great improvement and the children enjoyed it just as much.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Weeride curious’ is closed to new replies.