Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Weening my 13 year old daughter "off" x-factor
  • charliedontsurf

So, to ween my daughter off the dreadful karaoke show that is x-factor, Me and little miss bikemonger aka phoebe, are off for a night of midgets being chased, swordsmanship, Alice losing his head in a guillotine, Franken-cooper, evil women being beaten with metal tipped canes…. Oh not forgetting big snakes…. An educational trip with dad for my 13 year old, this will reformat her x-factor mind.

If this works, what next…. Are “napalm death” still around.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfCmo_dKYkw.[/video]

Drac

Weening her of the X-Factor Karaoke by taking her to see a guy shouting at a Pantomime, it might work.

charliedontsurf

Drac….
    This will be her first proper gig. So gone for something where it’s more than music, it’s a show of rock.

my first gig was Gaye bykers on acid and doctor and the medics…. That would be too much too soon for her.

Actually I lie, I took her to see John hegley at the square and compass last week…. But that was hardly rock…

Coyote
    Free Member

My 13 y/o went to see Niki Minaj the other night. I feel she is lost musically already…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm, sorry to point this out CtBM but that switch on the corner of the TV….

trail_rat
    Free Member

eat the telly !

zippykona

This sort of rubbish is aimed at 13 year old girls.
    All you can do is roll your eyes and tut whenever its on telly.
    Its what old people do to young people.
    If you really want her to hate it you will have to start loving it and therefore render it uncool.
    So tonight or whenever its on turn it up loud and do your best dad dancing.

kinda666
    Free Member

Saw Alice at the civic in Wolves on Thursday, great show, was on stage for about an hour and three quarters, missed Loaded at we were still in the pub, Surprisingly Ugly Kid Joe were great too! 😀

kinda666
    Free Member

Half the audience were in Fancy dress too…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

charlie, it’s a lost cause.
    Just buy some ear plugs. 😀

charliedontsurf

I have faith that Alice can place the power of rock on her and save her from slop pop.

qwerty
    Free Member
    binners

Resistance is futile! But to keep your blood pressure low, Simply retreat to the other room, flick the radio on to six music, pour yourself a beer and have a read of the paper.

If you’re feeling like doing the dutiful father/partner bit, pop in periodically to keep them topped up with fizzy pop and crisps, and maybe top the missus’s wine glass up too for additional brownie points!

CaptJon
    Free Member

do/did any kids have good taste in music?

Cougar

Surprisingly Ugly Kid Joe were great too!

UKJ are tremendous. Hugely underrated IMHO.

I happily sit down with Mrs STR and STR jnr, who’s 12. Take it for what it is, although even by x-factor standards this year is pretty poor. The daughter is into One Direction like most 12 year olds and quite likes one of the boy bands on x-factor. It’s what young girls do and I won’t be trying to change her.

At least she isn’t an emo, sat in her room cutting herself.

yunki
    Free Member

trailmonkey

i’d need that treatment for alice cooper and x factor

Junkyard
    Free Member

LOLZ at moaning about manufactured pop whilst praising alice as “rock”

TBH I would worry if someone had not outgrown Alice by the end of their teenage years.

Middle of the road rock themed pantomime but great music it is not

TooTall
    Free Member

I have faith that Alice can place the power of rock on her and save her from slop pop.

You need slapping, not her. All I can hear is ‘No dad’ becoming the phrase of the decade in the Bikemonger house.

MoreCashThanDash

“I have faith that Alice can place the power of rock on her and save her from slop pop”

You are Wayne – and quite possibly Garth as well – and I claim my £5!

btw, for a really slick “rock” show that might impress a teenager, Def Leppard take some beating.

Rorschach
    Free Member

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Can you not get her into Breaking Bad instead?

johndoh
    Free Member

‘My daughter has no taste in music so I’ll introduce her to my tasteless choice of music’….

muckytee
    Free Member

You just need to show her what good current music is out there – stuff beyond the top 40.

Good music still exists, doesn’t always make the charts that is all.

emac65
    Free Member

Kids find their own way in music regardless of your tastes….My lads were into all rap & sh1te though their school years,but now at 18 & 20 they’re listening to a lot of music I listened to when I was at school….
    The eldest one was bought a Ramones T-shirt by his g/f last week,he was so proud to show it off & said what do you think of this then ? I looked at it & said,that’s great,it’s from the 1980 tour….He looked at me gobsmacked & asked how do YOU know that ? I replied (rather smuggly),coz I bought the very same one when I went to see them at B’ham Odeon,when I was 14 ….. 😀

emac65
    Free Member

Double post 😕

charliedontsurf

LOLZ at moaning about manufactured pop whilst praising alice as “rock”

TBH I would worry if someone had not outgrown Alice by the end of their teenage years.

Middle of the road rock themed pantomime but great music it is not

I agree, alice cooper with the exception of “billion dollar babies” early stuff is not my choice of music. The more recent cock rock is too predictable and samey. But it is a damned good show. I once saw twisted sister support alice, I don’t and never have listened or liked there music, but it was the best bit of showmanship ever.

I would rather have been at the Jim jones review, but that won’t be any fun for a little girl.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You know I almost mentioned twisted sister in my post but thought it would have been too shitty

To be fair i aIm sure i would be entertained if I went to see him again

Think I have seen Twisted Sister but I not sure- I could certainly sing along to their stuff from late 80’s

robdob
    Free Member

The eldest one was bought a Ramones T-shirt by his g/f last week,he was so proud to show it off & said what do you think of this then ? I looked at it & said,that’s great,it’s from the 1980 tour….He looked at me gobsmacked & asked how do YOU know that ? I replied (rather smuggly),coz I bought the very same one when I went to see them at B’ham Odeon,when I was 14 …..

I love that!

emsz
    Free Member

I was a little magpie at 13, I listening to whatever I wanted. For me music isn’t “I like this, so I can’t love something else”.

bigrich

alice is very keen on golf. HTH

PrinceJohn

The eldest one was bought a Ramones T-shirt by his g/f last week,he was so proud to show it off & said what do you think of this then ? I looked at it & said,that’s great,it’s from the 1980 tour….He looked at me gobsmacked & asked how do YOU know that ? I replied (rather smuggly),coz I bought the very same one when I went to see them at B’ham Odeon,when I was 14 …..

He probably doesnt think his t shirt is quite so cool anymore….. 🙂

charliedontsurf

I have been to too many gigs where they only play the songs, i walked out of the kings of Leon, they just did a rehearsal as the show. They even chatted amongst themselves off mic during songs.

a good gig should have:
    Audience sing a longs, mic thrust at the crowd
    Banter, but not the fake nonsense from loaded “hey we played Plymouth (insert any other nearby town, such as shelbyville) last night and they said don’t expect much from Bournemouth (insert your town) cos they can’t rock” FFS
    Heckling such as the “sensible’s a w***er” heard at damned gigs.
    Audience participation on stage -Zappa was good at this.
    Requests – ween ask you what you want next.

Just standing there getting through your set don’t cut it.

charliedontsurf

OK… it almost worked. Gig went well, she enjoyed it, i enjoyed it. I wore make up.

and then the test on Sunday. “I’m too grown up for x-factor now, so I wont be watching the results show tonight”… its looking good, but she became weak and gave in and watched the results. So a small victory if she is questioning x-factor.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Def leppard died when Pete Willis was given the push. Mutt Lange the Diane Warren of Rock you have a lot to answer for!

Dickyboy

Applauds levels of effort & self abuse that CTBM takes to wean offspring from X factor 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

It’ll be difficult, because the harder you try the more likely she is to become defensive over it. Perhaps just let her grow out of it.

As a side issue, who the **** is ‘Tulisa’? It’s a good job she smokes, can you imagine the size of it if she didn’t? Estuary english-speaking, glottal-stopping little brat from what I can tell.

One tip for her – if you don’t want to sound like an idiot, don’t ***ing talk like one.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Weening my 13 year old daughter "off" x-factor’ is closed to new replies.