Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Weekly pump track session for skillz building?
  • dogthomson

I have a pump track about a mile or so from home, so I’m thinking about doing a regular weekly pump track session to improve bike handling skills etc.

Anyone done this and felt the benefit when going back to ‘normal’ trail riding? Or is it a waste of time? Young family over here means riding time is in short supply, so I really want to make sure every ride counts and thought a pump track session might be better than having a mince about on a night ride.

Any thoughts?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I spent half an hour on a tiny kids pump track and reckon I benefitted from it.

kayak23

Definitely. It’ll improve your bike handling skills, it’s fun and it’s a whole body workout.

What’s not to like, like?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Always. Do it you won’t regret it.

Having said that not all pump tracks are equal! Some are poorly built and boring. BMX race tracks are more consistent quality! If you are lucky enough to have a well built pump track(s) near you, you’re laughing, interval the ****-out-of-em.

Member the real skill is not pedalling at all. A hardtail/rigid with low standover and hard tyres i.e. pumped up well beyond trail riding pressures is king.

ta11pau1

100%, get down there. Will help with getting speed on the trail, jumping, manualling etc.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Yep – I do this throughout the winter and it’s great for getting body position correct on corners and for learning to pump properly. It’s hard work on an enduro bike, though – could really do with a BMX or DJ bike..
    JP

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I definitely recommend it: I went on a weekend trip with my friends where I realised I had lost all my (limited) skills after moving to London and not riding for over a year.
    I decided to get a bmx and hit the track, it made me improve massively: despite not doing any mtb, the following year I was better than them on the downhills (not that they’re pro downhillers…).

Hit the track, learn to pump properly, then try to manual one roller, if you can do it, try chaining two rollers….even if you never manage to manual a roller your skills will improve massively just by trying and getting out of your comfort zone.

SirHC

Twice a week in the summer. Our local one is small, but very well built (Jason Carpenter, used to build a lot of WC 4x tracks)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Weekly pump track session for skillz building?’ is closed to new replies.