Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Weekly photo challenge. 28.3.11 – 3.4.11 – Ruins
  • Ruins this week.
    So, ideally, that’s the classical ruins of antiquity, such as castles and religious buildings.
    If there’s nothing like that near you, then stretch it to any ruined or derelict building.

For those new to this challenge, the idea is that you take a picture of your bike with something that matches the theme in the background.
    You can interpret the theme any way you want, the only rule is that the picture must be taken between today and midnight next Sunday.

Another new idea to avoid the rush of trying to think of a new theme on Sunday night or Monday morning;
    If you post a picture, you can then suggest a theme for next week, or vote for someone else’s suggestion. First suggestion to get two supporting votes becomes the following week’s theme.
    I’ll start by suggesting Spring for next week.

There was a suggestion for spooky houses recently, so to sort of tie that in with this weeks theme, I took these pictures tonight of a derelict church near where Dowles Brook meets the River Severn, just outside Bewdley.

It was a bit dark, but you can make out the gravestones and old red brick walls.

neilb67
    Free Member

An early morning ride from St Just out to the Levant Mine

montylikesbeer

slugwash
    Free Member

Asd I’ve currently got achilles tendonitis and won’t be able to ride a bike for, at least, the rest of the week I’m asserting my right to post up a photo from a year or so ago just to stay in the loop 😉

Cornworthy Abbey, South Devon….

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Ruined bomb shelter at former RAF Wickenby, Lincs

Other building on the same site

Aplologies for the blur – it was nearly dark when I got there.

For a bit more history on this site and its important role in WW2 have a look hereRAF Wickenby Memorial Collection

I find it staggering to think how many lives were lost from an airfield between a few tiny villages.

And I second the proposal for Spring photos next week, as long as the proper Spring weather returns.

redthunder
    Free Member

DeeJay
    Free Member

My plans for yesterday’s ride were scuppered by what felt like a force 10 gale – still too windy to play in the Dales today so a I had trip to Hamsterley Forest where I remembered about this ruined cottage.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Barlings Abbey near Lincoln

and from the other side

And a little bit of history of the site too Barlings Abbey

snaps
    Free Member

Okehampton castle

Foggintor quarry, Dartmoor

_tom_
    Free Member

hmm nothing interesting that I can think of round here but will have a look tomorrow!

birky
    Free Member

In Birnam wood …

GRAEMEJONES

As churches go, Christ Church, Crewe is by no means old. It was built by the Grand Junction Railway Company, together with housing for its employees during the birth of Crewe Town as we know it today. It was consecrated on 18th December 1845 by the Rt. Revd. John Sumner, Bishop of Chester. It was extended in 1864 by addition of aisles (which had galleries erected inside but which were short-lived), by the tower in 1877, by the chancel in 1898 and by the chapel in 1906. During the ministry of Walter Bidlake (1903-1924) the old peal of eight bells was recast and expanded to a peal of ten. The grave yard was limited in size and gradually the Town cemetery came into use allowing the graveyard to be closed to further burials. In the early 1970’s, wood rot was discovered in the nave roof and the church was partially demolished in 1977. As much as practicable was re-used and many of the original fittings were retained. Some were re-used by other churches, such as the majority of the pews ending up at Holy Trinity, Llandudno and the old high altar going to St. Barnabas, in West St., Crewe.
    If it’s Spring for next week, how about an upcoming one for Steam Engines(not necessarily trains), or Battlefields / present day sites of old Battlefields. [img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5177/5582289159_209bffaa38.jpg[/img]

OCB
    Free Member

Down a Devonshire back-country lane.
    (The ruin is the old barn off near the gate – the barn is much bigger than it appears here. I couldn’t get any closer to it as the cattle in the next field over were being fed some cowlage at the time, and I’d have been err, invited to take my bicycle and return to the lane with it).

Birky’s Hobbit house in the woods up there ^ is great.

DeeJay
    Free Member

Had to go out and try out the new bike 🙂 and managed to find a few old rocks.

epicyclo

Hidden by an overgrown garden between the junction of old railway lines.

crispybacon
    Free Member

A picture from a ride yesterday on Dartmoor of a ruined & very rusty shed
    at Headland Warren Farm

matthewlhome
    Free Member

davesmate
    Free Member

2nd ride of the year over the ridgeway, much better than the 1st. The “ruin” is an old farm building in Rockley.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/59852996@N06/5584863665/]Bike pics 004[/url] by Daves mate, on Flickr

tinribz
    Free Member

Not much is known about Ravensworth’s castle. It was the stronghold of the Barons of FitzHugh, lords of the manor of Ravensworth. In 1201, it was visited by King John.

Rained all the way there, sun came out half way back. Typical.

What about sundials next?

midlifecrashes

Well I chose the wrong direction to ride out today. Best I could come up with is this hill fort (honestly, it is one).

It’s Gringley Beacon between Bawtry and Gainsborough, see.

Badgers, forgot to put bike in shot. Total fail, sorry. How about a fishy theme, fishermen, anglers, trawlers, fishponds etc?

downgrade
    Free Member

Bike + ruin by Michael (ffcnimmo), on Flickr

St Bridget’s Kirk, Dalgety Bay

Tiger6791

Pretty sure if I can be bothered I could have a nice photo. Think ancient roman ruins temple older than any UK Roman stuff and also rather topically from Libya.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

These are ruins (honestly) – its an old China Clay pit in the middle of Dartmoor and the area that are bike are on is the old train stop platform up there….

crispybacon
    Free Member

On today’s ride I found a wall which was all that was standing of a ruined ancient building on Dartmoor near Eylesbarrow mine

& today through the square window we can see …….

This is going to get confusing suggesting themes for the week after next.
    I like the idea of steam engines, depending on route to work and home, I can cross the Severn Valley Railway up to six times a day. 😀 Too easy for me and too hard for most others though maybe ?

Anyway,it’s Spring this week.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/weekly-photo-challenge-4411-10411-spring

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Weekly photo challenge. 28.3.11 – 3.4.11 – Ruins’ is closed to new replies.