Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Weekly photo challenge. 14.3.11 – 20.3.11 – Victorian Engineering & Public Works
  • Victorian Engineering & Public Works this week.

Strictly speaking, that would be anything built between 1837 to 1876, although anything built in that style from around that period will do.

Any sort of civil engineering, with the emphasis on the great public works of the time; water works, sewage works, dams and the like plus schools, hospitals and libraries.

Same as usual, interpret the theme any way you want, although I think this one may be a bit more specific than some.
    Pictures must be taken between now and midnight on Sunday and show both your bike and the theme in one picture.

Edit to clarify;
    I would consider a reservoir or library as a public work, because it was built for the greater good of all.
    Railways and canals were built as commercial ventures, so don’t really qualify, unless you know otherwise.

Sandwich

I would have thought up to late 1901 would be appropriate as that’s when she died.

z1ppy

Indeedy..from Wiki (maybe not the best sources but..)

The Victorian era of the United Kingdom was the period of Queen Victoria’s reign from 20 June 1837 until her death on 22 January 1901

😳 Whoops, that was me skimming through the Wiki article to get the dates without reading it properly.
    1876 was when she adopted the title Empress of India, not the end of her reign, which was indeed 1901.

Anyway, the Elan aqueduct, known locally simply as “The Pipeline” carries water from the Elan Valley to Birmingham and was built between 1896 and 1906.
    There are no pumps, the water flows the 73 miles by gravity alone.
    The lowest point is where it crosses the River Severn, seen here from the East bank,looking back towards the Wyre Forest.

davesmate
    Free Member

Viaduct at Cotswold water park

15th March 2011 by Daves mate, on Flickr
    Not sure about the dates but it looks victorian

15032011_002 by Daves mate, on Flickr

GRAEMEJONES

Sorry for the shonky pic, but I was dodging traffic! Sandabach Literary Institute.

The Literary Institute was built in 1857 by Samuel Faram at a cost of £2500 of which £2100 was liberally contributed by the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood. Sir George Gilbert Scott was the architect. It contained a library, corn exchange and meeting room, with an upper floor ballroom, and Mr Ramsay Macdonald once addressed a public meeting here. The building is of brick with stone dressings, constructed in the Gothic style. The building still has the original steps, doors and windows. It is in a somewhat neglected state internally, but funds have recently been made available to rectify this.

[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5138/5532443143_14890d68eb.jpg[/img]

DeeJay
    Free Member

Got this on my commute to work

One of Darlington’s best-known landmarks is the magnificent Market Square Clock Tower, completed in 1864.

See what I can get tomorrow . . . .

Not a very interesting picture, but an essential part of the pipeline mentioned above.
    This brick and concrete structure is at a high point, so will contain air vent valves to keep the water syphoning through.

sharki
    Free Member

Cullen Viaduct.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Ooh another good choice for topic. Even though I’ve not been organised enough to get pics for a few weeks, still loving these threads and the concept behind them 😀

Isn’t there a clock tower and spring only a couple of miles from your house ? 😉

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I think there is, indeed – I shall get my arse out on an evening ride this week ‘specially 😉

DeeJay
    Free Member

Slightly different commute in the sunshine and a lovely ride through the park resulted in this;

In 1882 the South Park’s first bandstand was erected for £250. It was made by Walter Macfarlane and Co of Glasgow. The design was very popular and could also be seen in parks in Stockton, Ripon, Stranraer and Bo’ness.
    During the 2003 restoration project the bandstand was restored using the original 279 pattern, although it cost 19 times the original £250 to restore the roof alone!

tinribz
    Free Member

Thought I might finally have found something DeeJay had missed.

Tees Cottage Pumping Station (1849) revolutionized water supply in Darlington and Teeside by supplying cleaner, piped water to inhabitants who had previously relied on wells and rainwater tubs.

But the gates were locked, (and their colour clashed with the frame).

Here is the associated weir anyway.

Maiden voyage on the the new wheel build – bit creaky.

DeeJay
    Free Member

@tinribz

Thought I might finally have found something DeeJay had missed

😳

You were just riding away when I got there! I was lucky enough to bump into a chap who let me in 🙂

click pic for another view

From 1849 Tees Cottage Pumping Station revolutionized water supply in Darlington and Teeside by offering cleaner, piped water to inhabitants who had previously relied on wells and rainwater tubs. The engines at Tees Cottage pumped water from the River Tees, which was then filtered and supplied to the water company’s customers.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Here ya go – building associated with that good ol’ pipeline again – adjacent to the Bringewood DH tracks. 🙂

stgeorge

One of the last remaining towers of the Severn Railway Bridge after some of bridge destroyed by accident between two tankers in 1960s.

Example of bridge span in model form just recently put there.

It was built by the Severn Bridge Railway company in the 1870s to transport coal from the Forest of Dean on the Severn and Wye Railway. Work began in 1875 and was completed in 1879. The cast iron bridge, which was 4,162 feet (1,269 m) long and 70 feet (21 m) above high water, had 22 spans and had stone abutments made from local limestone. The span across the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal operated as a swing bridge.[2]

Stgeorge, a guy I used to work for in the Forest of Dean told me he was offered the contract to dismantle the remains of that bridge, but declined.
    Just as well, as the company that got the contract went bust because of it.

So, next week then. What’s it to be ?
    First suggestion to get two supporting votes wins, or I’ll just think of something myself.
    How about “Something that’s the same age as you”. Could take a bit of research to find a building, vehicle or tree that fits, so maybe stick with a more conventional challenge ?

tinribz
    Free Member

Doorways, barns, crowds, joggers, swans?

How about taking a little more abstract?

purple,
    deserted,
    animals,
    flying,
    old,
    numbers,
    shiny,
    time,
    circles.

I quite like the abstract and cryptic ones.
    Purple sounds a bit too difficult to me, so how about Colours ?
    Either a background of entirely one colour,or something with a colour in it’s name.

A few ideas;
    The Black Mountains
    Brown Clee Hill
    A Midland Red Bus
    A Black Cab
    Bluebells (probably a bit early for that)
    Old Red Sandstone
    An Orange (fruit or bike)
    A Green Lane (common name for an RUPP or BOAT)
    A Rainbow
    Harlequins rugby club
    Red Lion, Green Dragon or White Swan pub sign.
    A Silver Birch tree
    An LMS Black 5
    Joe Brown and the Bruvvers
    Er, The Blue Danube
    Er…
    You get the idea.

If there’s no objections or other suggestions within the next few hours, that’s what I’ll go with.

DeeJay
    Free Member

so how about Colours ?

Sounds good

z1ppy

Running late… got this saturday as we passed by, just to finish the set…the Elan aqueduct where it enter the Wyre forest

Elan aqueduct or "The Pipeline" by z1ppy2, on Flickr

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Weekly photo challenge. 14.3.11 – 20.3.11 – Victorian Engineering & Public Works’ is closed to new replies.