Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Weekly photo challenge. 1.4.13 – 7.4.13 – Memorials & Blue Plaques
  • Memorials were suggested for this week. I thought I’d extend it to include blue plaques as well.

The rules;
    1. Take a photo of your bike with something that matches the theme in the picture.
    2. Interpret the theme any way you like.
    3. Pictures should be taken between the dates in the topic title.
    4. If you post a picture you can either suggest a theme for next weeks challenge or vote for someone else’s suggestion. First suggestion to get two supporting votes becomes next weeks theme, probably

chip
    Free Member

I may be pushing my luck here.

hallz
    Free Member

As we take a spin up over the moors, though the woodland or over the fields, its easy to take this beautiful landscape for granted. Its available to us week in, week out as an escape from the day job, the other half or whatever else we need that release. But 100 years ago, many of these places were unavailable to Joe Public as the land was owned by the local gentry and trespassers were not welcome.

Most of us will be aware of the famous events at Kinder Scout in April 1932, but the ball was started rolling a long time before. At Winter Hill to the north of Bolton, the first mass trespass was undertaken in September 1896. The events of the day are well recorded in this blog here

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Uphilldowndale
    Free Member

Spotted the thread last night and so planned a route around the places below. Turned out to be 30 miles with a chilly breeze blowing.

Wye Crown in Kent it is the memorial for the Coronation of King Edward VI

The millenium stone at the top of the Wye crown.

The queens jubilee memorial also on Wye downs.

Crundale church memorial to the WWI Lost.

Bit of a cheeky double whammy this one. The memorial is the WWII one in Wye village by the church. The blue placque is not one of the offical ones it has just been put there to commemorate an event by Wye historical Society.

Muke
    Free Member
    Popocatapetl

tinribz
    Free Member

Memorial to the pilots, air and ground crew of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) 434 “Bluenose” and 431 “Iroquois” Squadrons who, during World War II, were based at the RAF Croft air base.

ton

03.04.13 memorial 003 by 20ston, on Flickr

one of 3 memorials for 7 miners who died in the Lofthouse disaster in 1973.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lofthouse_Colliery_disaster

proflexforever
    Free Member

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

yunki
    Free Member

dunno what this is about.. a pet perhaps..? I stumbled across it today whilst out on a local bimble

Can I suggest for next week’s theme – the majesty of Earth and Sky.. I’m not exactly sure what it means, but I spewed it out the other morning which caused someone’s mum to tell me I was an old romantic

simmy
    Free Member

The blue plaque above the bike is a tribute to Robert Shaw, most famous for playing Quint in Jaws

The brass one is for Pretoria Pit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretoria_Pit_Disaster

Memorial 2 by S1mmy1, on Flickr

Another for Pretoria Pit

Memorial 1 by S1mmy1, on Flickr

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

That appears in the Rules of Procedure shall Section “Daniel Esteve Mountain Park”, which determines the intention EIdense Rookie Center for cultural and sports park, and is copied below:

“Our age is characterized by an attitude of man against nature in quest of destruction. Air pollution, water pollution, which has led to the extinction of plant and animal species, indifference and apathy address vital problems of Nature, its misuse, the hobby of destroying beauty imprudence caused so many fires every year, lack of respect and care, probably due to lack of knowledge and love for her, are causes that determined social strata international calls emergency relief and defense of nature. civic education is imperative in man that translates into respect for natural resources.

Nah! I dunno either…

ton

simmy, that pit disaster is terrible mate…..never heared of it.
    truly terrible.

houndlegs
    Free Member

This is The Guardian of the Valleys,a memorial to the 45 who died at Six Bells Colliery on the 28 June 1960. My grampa worked the shift before the explosion,and years later my dad worked there as well. Its an impressive sight.

http://www.dmm-pitwork.org.uk/html/sixbells.htm

WP_20130331 4 by valleys boy, on Flickr

higthepig
    Free Member

This memorial commemorates Lancaster R-5701 of 97 Squadron, Royal Air Force, which crashed in Brunssum, Nederlands on 5 October 1942.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

that 1st picture , v intersting whereabouts on Winterhill is that , I must have ridden past and not seen it on several occasions.

hallz
    Free Member

Its on Coal Pit Lane – quite a way up. Have a look at the map below – i have put a cunning arrow on it…

If going up the mast road, just before the cattle grid at the top, there is a trail off on the right. For the first couple of hundred metres its paved with ancient paving stones. After that it descends the moor before eventually reaching Coal Pit Lane. The monument is right at the bottom next to the junction.

houndlegs
    Free Member

A quick blue plaque tour of Abergavenny

WP_20130402 4 by valleys boy, on Flickr
    WP_20130404 by valleys boy, on Flickr

WP_20130402 3 by valleys boy, on Flickr

DeeJay
    Free Member

38 mile round trip to get these photographs this morning 🙂 Thank you MTG for providing the kick up the arse I needed 😉

Blue Plaques by Dee P Jay, on Flickr

Blue Plaques by Dee P Jay, on Flickr

These are plaques 12 and 13 from Barnard Castle’s Blue Plaque Trail more info HERE

simmy
    Free Member

simmy, that pit disaster is terrible mate…..never heared of it.
    truly terrible.

Yeah it’s one of them that you either know about or have never heard of. Think its still classed as one of the biggest mining disasters in the world.

The pits are now capped, but its obvious where they was and there are still the ruins of some buildings on the site so its quite moving to think what happened.

The Wiki link only tells part of it, locally there’s a lot more info that’s been passed down the generations. Apparently, there was a farmer ploughing the field and the force of the blast underneath lifted him, plough and 2 shire horses a couple of feet in the air and the hedges in the fields were sucked into the ground.

Devastated the local towns and villages as everyone knew someone who had lost a loved one.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Che Guevara mausoleum Cuba – might not have been taken this week. 😳

slugwash
    Free Member

A borrowed bike, but probably a memorial (reads like one anyway) so I hope no rules were severely compromised in my contribution to this week’s challenge 😉 ….

Peanut’s Half-Fat @ Haldon by Slugwash, on Flickr

cinnamon_girl

What an excellent theme this week! So much interesting stuff around, my rides take the form of a history lesson these days. 8)

Sorry, not got any pics to offer although I should have taken my camera to where I was volunteering as there were opportunities there. Silly me. 😳

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Thank Hallz I will look out for that !!!

robhenry85
    Free Member

not sure if it’s the right sort of blue plaque 😉 it’s on the M1, funny place for a Memorial

i will try are get a more fitting one this weekend 😆

i like “the majesty of Earth and Sky” and i don’t really know what it means

scotroutes

I camped very close to this on Thursday night

P1050483 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

cinnamon_girl

Hurrah, my first contribution. 🙂

Edge of Salisbury Plain:

This is known as Robber’s Stone, again Salisbury Plain but right next to an A road:

GRAEMEJONES

[/url] Untitled by santarocky, on Flickr[/img]

And one in memory of a good biking friend, Wallie ( Walt ) Sobutta

crispybacon
    Free Member

The war memorial @ Princetown for the fallen in WW1 & WW2

A dedicated granite bench for the late Jack Trenerry @ Burrator

the view from the bench – not a bad view

scotroutes

My mate Rabbie

P1050476 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Billy Bremner [Dirty] Leeds Utd Captain.
    (this was taken this morning.)

belugabob
    Free Member

Did a pre-planned 35 mile ride, with Box Hill as the halfway point, so thought I’d snap the blue plaque that’s just a short walk from the cafe. (It’s the former residence of John Logie Baird)

Picked a fantastic day for it – perfectly dry roads, no jacket required and some good mates for company.
    (Those dark patches by the wheels are called shadows, I believe)

Happy days!

cynic-al
    Free Member

bp by alan cole, on Flickr

chip
    Free Member

I shall be out on the HT tomorrow, so will check for this coming weeks topic before I set off.
    Some very good pics and post this week gone, note to self,
    must try harder.

velomanic
    Free Member

Port St Mary – Isle of Man

ontor
    Free Member

I love these threads.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Great thread this (last) week.

stever
    Free Member

Andrew by steverile, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Weekly photo challenge. 1.4.13 – 7.4.13 – Memorials & Blue Plaques’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts