Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Weekly cwmcarn conditions update?
  • kimbers

Day off

Sun’s out….

Any diversions etc!?

Cheers

Trimix
    Free Member

Not sure, but there is a specific website for this info.  Cant remember what its called, but a quick Google will let you know.  Last time I went (about a month ago) about 5km of the trail was closed for logging 🙁

ashweee
    Free Member

I was there Saturday, half of the cafall trail is shut for logging and the bits that are shut are the best parts of that trail.

The twrch trail was running good though, much drier than expected.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The top of Cafall is going to be closed for a long time and before it reopens it’ll need a lot of work, it will also not be as good as it used to be because the very top is nye on flat and only really ‘works’ when you’re finding line that allow you between the trees.

This is based on looking at it from the other side of the valley weeping a bit.

But, you can argue which bits are the best bits, but it’s still a decent ride. Especially if you skip the last section and head back up the hill to Twrch and make it one big(er) trail, if you’re feeling brave you can also tag on some DH bits too.

This weekend is going to be mint, 5 days of sun (by Sunday anyway) is unheard of here and it’ll be drier than my Nan (as she was cremated a few years ago).

ready

Now the evenings are getting longer (yay!) I’m thinking of a late afternoon visit this week.  Does anyone know what time the carpark shuts please?  Don’t want to get locked in

kimbers

Well

It was brilliant today, clear blue skies, twrch was fast & almost bone dry,

Cafall had a few big puddles but was running great too. Shame about the closure.

To add a bit on in pushed up to the road drop in on the DH track.

Some new jumps gone in and unfortunately I hit a very steep double and nose dived it, hit the ground like a sack of ….

I now have a few bruises and scrapes and think I’ve knackered by brand new Yari’s I’ve spent 200 quid on tuning and just recovered after bike was stolen 😭😭😭

superstu
    Free Member

So is Cafall still running with diversions? Only been once (Feb) and start was different apparently but still enjoyed it immensely.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ouch Kimbers, heal up mate.

@superstu
    yeah it’s still open, the current diversion is probably a different one that when you last visited, sadly they’ve got to remove most of the trees from most of the site, it’s been going on for years now off/on, anyway diversions go up, last a few weeks or months and then move on.

zilog6128

What’s the best place to turn off to do a mega-loop? Down pedal hounds off Cafall then back up the twrch climb? Can you incorporate Y Mynydd (obviously with a pedal back up!) as well before the final twrch descent?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah either – after the section with the big slab at the end of it (hope you know where that is) you can ride up the fireroad past the next section and pick up Pedalhounds a little while later – for me it’s the best compromise of the two, or as you get back to forest road right at the end, instead of going over for the final section head back up the road. Makes for about a 25k trail.

zilog6128

Ta!

kimbers

heres a couple of pics

the good

the bad

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Weekly cwmcarn conditions update?’ is closed to new replies.