• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mell.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Weekend trip by rail
  • mell
    Free Member

Hello, Has anyone got any advice on good mtb destinations for a long weekend that can be done (relatively) easily by train from London?

Russtea
    Free Member

Haven’t done it, but have considered Afan Forest. 12 Miles from Port Talbot.

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Centres/Afan_Forest_Park/Afan_Forest_Park.aspx

dknwhy

Natural or trail centre?
    If natural, then Aviemore or Fort William in Scotland or Sheffield and ride into the Peak District.
    Pick a national park, grab an OS map and book a ticket to the nearest station.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trekster
    ElVino

I did a w/e in Afan also but went to Neath instead of Port Talbot then cycled to the Bryn Bettws Lodge which is right on the trails and offers hostel style or self catering accommodation. 4.6 miles according to Google maps, up a hill if I remember correctly.

martinhutch

In my neck of the woods, Settle and the few stations north of it on the Carlisle line get you right into the heart of the Dales. There’s accommodation at Settle and Horton. About an hour from Leeds.

jekkyl

Southwales.

dknwhy

If you want really easy, you could jump on a train to the South Downs or coast. A nice day trip is to get the train to Hassocks and then jump on the South Downs Way to Eastbourne and then the train into London.
    Southern trains do an E ticket called the “All network downloader” where you can hop on and off trains anywhere on the network for one fee for the day.

Southern Rail Downloader

allyharp

With enough planning in advance (c. 12 weeks) you could get a great weekend away in Scotland using the sleeper train. I’ve just done that (though with Monday & Friday off, so over 4 days).

I say advance planning as it’s normally flipping expensive, but if you’re around when they release the tickets (12 weeks in advance on the Friday morning) there are some available in a berth for £19 each way.

Failing that the Lakes is probably about the limit I’d travel for a weekend, and the Peaks would be even easier.

scotroutes

I take it you didn’t lose your bike at Waverly then? 🙂

asterix
    Free Member

Train to Penrith, ride into Lakes – maybe old coach road to Skiddaw house then down to Eskdale, over Black Sail Pass and back towards Windermere via Coniston:-)

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Train to Taunton & ride 9ish miles for a couple of days on the Quantocks, I think the express is less than an hour & a half from Paddington.
    Or stay on the Plymouth train to Ivybridge or South Brent – right on the southern edge of Dartmoor.

allyharp

allyharp » With enough planning in advance (c. 12 weeks) you could get a great weekend away in Scotland using the sleeper train. I’ve just done that (though with Monday & Friday off, so over 4 days).
    I take it you didn’t lose your bike at Waverly then?

Nah, I made sure to check with them eventually. Train from Aviemore goes straight through 8)

mell
    Free Member

Great, thanks all for the good advice, I’m going to look into the advance booking 4 day weekend in scotland option

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Weekend trip by rail’ is closed to new replies.