Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Weekend riding thread 1st – 3rd November: Gales and downpour edition
  • dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Bredon Hill not been up there in years pass it most days was going to take Fattie up Malverns but not sure the roads were open Haw Bridge way or Upton-on-Severn went down to Sharpness on the canal towpath very muddy in places good in others nice day though.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Beautiful day for it in Kent today .
    “>

singlespeedstu

Quick spin round a few lanes only to find out someone had set fire to our lift home.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hEC4oK]2019-11-03_06-30-44[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Stainypants

After drinking far too much on Friday night did the Dragons back at CYB met @timbog160 not enjoying the top section then did the extended Minotaur trail in the dark which is great, can’t wait bring the kids

Today we did the Mach 2 at Machynlleth which was heavy going as the ground was absolutely saturated. The views were stunning especially with the trees looking amazing.

Unbelievably as the forcast was grim we had only 20 mins rain all weekend when riding, which was a massive bonus

CheesybeanZ

robowns
    Free Member

Like that Cheesy

stewartc
    Free Member

Times like this I dont miss the UK. Winter is riding season in Honkers, the weather is no longer trying to kill you, just wrap you in a nice fuzzy warm blanket.

Mui Wo Bike Park down to the Coastal Trail Video

scaredypants

No riding for me – post-op ban in force, so I pitted for a mate at the cyclocross today.

FILTHY ! sticky mud that took ages to knock, then wash off (what’s better than a worx thingy?) and when the mud went we were left with loads of 6-8 inch mowed grass stalks wrapped in & round the drivetrains & pedals.

A lot fewer DNFs than I expected though. I guess modern frame clearance and 1x with NW are good for keeping folk moving.

TiRed

Training road loop on the cross bike with some new wheels for road! dura ace hubs, Sapim race spokes and Open Pro rims. Running GP4000s and a 11-23 cassette and. 38T NW for rad gearing. Lovely ride. Really handles well and the wheels have made it much better. I run ksyriums off road with 12-32 nine speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2838811917

timbog160

Lols good to meet you @stainypants. That last hour really was purgatory for both of us! Note to self – take some food next time! Still a great day out though…

kilo

Was out with Mrs Kilo on the cx bikes on Sunday morning around Epsom and Box Hill sunny and mild but muddy as anything on some of the bridle ways. Quite pleased to almost garrotte myself after a thorn bush wrapped around my neck and then avoided all the mud to crash on a solid chalk track. Mrs K also got a big nail through her back tyre which wouldn’t seal and it was one of those where it was easier to just walk the last bit home than fanny around fixing it.

CheesybeanZ

robowns

Like that Cheesy

Seems like there was 3 of us on Bredon yesterday

fathomer

Quick, dead feeling, 18 mile road ride Saturday morning before the rain and rugby. Then a cracking ride in the Peak yesterday, started off pretty dank, brightened up and then clouded over toward the end.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Saturday, finally put the wall back up on the garrage and hung the doors, its (and the bikes) been open to the elements for over 4 years!

Sunday, missed the 9am clubrun so headed off in the generall direction on a longer route to meet them at the cafe. Navigated by sense of direction for the first hour, then got stung by google maps sending me down a muddy track that passes for a sustrans route in the last bit. Still managed a 15mph average to the cafe, should have been more like 18 if it wasnt for that! Did just long enough on the front of the group and a few missed directions meant a few big efforts to catch up after doing laps of roundabouts on the way back to completely empty the tank!

Still havent managed to get the Scandal to Swinley but apparently the forrestry work is blocking the clubhouse trails and 15 through 25 anyway?

weeksy

Still havent managed to get the Scandal to Swinley but apparently the forrestry work is blocking the clubhouse trails and 15 through 25 anyway?

pretty much

lowey

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hEy8kQ]20191102_103351[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hEx2y5]20191102_121633[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

Loop around Skipton on Saturday. Drenched. Fields were waterlogged making pedalling 3 times harder.

martinhutch

Just strava-stalked your route Dave 🙂 Some ‘interesting’ route selections! Is the towpath to Gargrave still shut? You appear to have finished off with four miles along the A65, which can’t have been fun..

No riding for me this weekend – climbing club reunion and heavy cold, and by the looks of it, didn’t miss out on stellar conditions.

chakaping
    Free Member
    lowey

Some ‘interesting’ route selections! Is the towpath to Gargrave still shut? You appear to have finished off with four miles along the A65, which can’t have been fun..

Was staying at Eshton and originally intended to finish off with Sharp Haw but by the time I got to Skipton I was drenched to the bollocks, covered in shit and knackered from trying to pedal through waterlogged fields. Looked like I’d be dredged out of the canal. So took the path of least resistance back to the Van.

Last rode the Middle Hare Head BW about 11 years ago. My god it was awful. Waterlogged and totally trashed with cows walking along it.

ton

shame we didn’t see you lowey.
    we rode back from malham yesterday. plan was a offroad route back to leeds (60 mile). but after Saturdays 60 mile offroad/onroad death march from Kirkby Stephan to malham, we too took the path least resistance back to leeds, via the leeds/Liverpool canal.
    110 miles for the weekend is ok though.

martinhutch

Good effort Ton. KS to Malham will have taken some fortitude in those conditions.

PS – is the towpath open from Gargrave to Skipton? They don’t bother putting signage out until you’ve covered half the distance, and unlike Dave, I’m not riding on the A65!

Your route was certainly a shit-fest, Dave. I think I’ve ridden the section from the A59 to Draughton once. I remember pedalling along a sludgey disused railway line then pushing up a tussocky field.

Come back in the summer and I’ll show you some better stuff!

ton

PS – is the towpath open from Gargrave to Skipton?

no, but will ignored the signs and climbed a fence. no reason it should be closed to be honest.

martinhutch

Cheers. They seem to be stretching a two-month job into a year, by the looks of it.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Weekend riding thread 1st – 3rd November: Gales and downpour edition’ is closed to new replies.