Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Weekend photo challenge 22nd/23rd January 2011
  • The challenge for next weekend is to take a photo of your bike next to a monument.
    To make it a bit more interesting, try to find a monument in a remote area dedicated to an individual or small group of people.
    The only rule is that the photo must be taken between midnight Friday 21st and midnight Sunday 23rd.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I am definately liking the themed photo/ride thing, an inspired idea and am racking my brain for a monument … but I think I have something in mind 🙂

downshep

Excellent thread idea MTG, really like the idea of a new theme each week. Monuments next week sounds like it should be easy enough for most of us but gives great scope for everyone to use their imagination. (I’m also trying to think of a monument somewhere remote)

We all live in different areas, so it may be worthwhile varying the concept to suit different landscapes. Some of us have beaches nearby, others trig points. Rural wildlife / urban graffiti. Multiple contributors for bikes next to rivers from source to sea. Quarries, birds, military stuff, cliffs, tunnels, caves……this could run and run.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

I may join in this for once. got one in mind already.

cp

must find monument 🙂

As the good citizens of Kidderminster sleep peacefully in their beds, the mysterious twilight world of the single speed 29er goes ever on, under the watchful eye of Rowland Hill, educational and postal innovator, inventer of the pre paid postage stamp.

Rowland Hill Single Speed 29er by Vegan Graham, on Flickr

Kunstler

MTG this is beyond the call of duty – you are spectacularly first to post in this week’s challenge and have now added another dimension of competitiveness to this thread. Suitably fired up, I intend to find the tallest monument* to trump your achievement here.

*like I hadn’t already got something in mind.

rOcKeTdOg

That’s not a monument though, it’s a statue or memorial, Has the challenge been widened to accept this as it makes it a lot easier?

Wikipedia says a statue is a type of monument, so I was going with that.
    Anyway, he’s on this list. http://pmsa.cch.kcl.ac.uk/index.htm

http://pmsa.cch.kcl.ac.uk/BM/WOwfKIxx002.htm

If there’s no Triumphal Arches in Bromsgrove, a statue will do.

Drac

Might try to join this weekend, going to pick the CX up from where it’s been hiding later.

rOcKeTdOg

Well I got 2, abandonned the 3rd as there were too many walkers and it was a bit cheeky, also I couldn’t feel my feet, chuff me it was cold, even had flakes of snow at one point, pics later when I thaw out

clubber
    Free Member

Bit chilly this morning!

Here’s mine. Couldn’t really find any other monuments en route.

http://www.clubber.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/monument.jpg

rOcKeTdOg

1st one 😉 (you did say poetic licence is acceptable)

Monument Lane by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

aka_Gilo: silhouette man 😉

pyekid
    Free Member

Flipping cold out this morning, But since MTG posted this thread i had this in mind.

more info here

Ok it’s a memorial but it is an interesting one 😀

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

St Mary Bourne in Hamphire

Further down the road just before Oxenwood.

rOcKeTdOg

number 2

The Monument, a 60-80ft tall obelisk , has an inscription that reads “To commend to imitation the exemplary private virtues of Other Archer 6th Earl of Plymouth”.

monumental II by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

monumental by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

MrKmkII
    Free Member

the first great war was 1914-1919?? someone care to enlighten this historically challenged rider?

maxray
    Free Member

_tom_
    Free Member

I can only think of one which isn’t very interesting 🙁 It’ll have to do though, will get it first thing tomorrow!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

the first great war was 1914-1919?? someone care to enlighten this historically challenged rider?

Forgive me for not pointing out the mistake of what is incorrectly written on this monument. 🙄

Pieface

Not very remote, but seems to be winning so far – Hollins Cross, Mam Tor, Dark Peak

clubber
    Free Member

I don’t think he was pointing the finger at you but rather himself, Mulletus! Touchy!

IIRC at the time, 1919 was considered the end because that’s when some of the peace treaties/etc were signed even though fighting had already ended.

Lifer
    Free Member

A monument of nature’s power over man’s folly. 😛

Hicksy
    Free Member

It’s only accessable by a bridleway, but not very remote (you can hear the drone of the M25!). Not sure who it’s monumenting, but says “temple of sleep” on the top.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

birky
    Free Member

Cairn at Loch Ordie (no plaque on it but apparently commemorates Queen Vic visiting the area).

redthunder
    Free Member

from Wikipedia so it must be true…. 1919 is wrong it should be 1920.

The Armistice was prolonged three times before peace was finally ratified.

* First Armistice (11 November 1918 – 13 December 1918)
    * First prolongation of the armistice (13 December 1918 – 16 January 1919)
    * Second prolongation of the armistice (16 January 1919 – 16 February 1919)
    * Third prolongation of the armistice (16 February 1919 – 10 January 1920)[4]

Peace was ratified at 4:15 p.m. on 10 January 1920.[5]

redthunder
    Free Member

Chepstow. Tucked away by the war memorial.

Bit of info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Charles_Williams

On 25 April 1915 during the landing on V Beach, Cape Helles, Gallipoli, Turkey, Williams, with three other men (George Leslie Drewry, Wilfred St. Aubyn Malleson and George McKenzie Samson) was assisting the commander (Edward Unwin) of their ship, HMS River Clyde (previously the SS River Clyde) at the work of securing the lighters. He held on to a rope for over an hour, standing chest deep in the sea, under continuous enemy fire. He was eventually dangerously wounded and later killed by a shell whilst his rescue was being effected by the commander who described him as the bravest sailor he had ever met

**Cheated a bit because the photo was taken on Friday {my weekends start on Friday**

pedalhead
    Free Member

Combe Gibbet, Gallows Down, Berkshire

Combe Gibbet is a gibbet at the top of Gallows Down, near the village and just within the civil parish of Combe in Berkshire (formerly Hampshire).

It was erected in 1676 for the purpose of hanging George Broomham and Dorothy Newman and has only ever been used for them. The gibbet was placed in such a prominent location as a warning, to deter others from committing crimes.

George and Dorothy were having an affair and were hanged for murdering George’s wife Martha, and their son Robert after they discovered them together on the downs. Unfortunately for the lovers, the murder was witnessed by Mad Thomas, who managed to convey what he had seen to the authorities.

richen987
    Free Member

I thought this thread last week was a brilliant idea, unfortunately my bike was not built, so I had to wait until this week, so on my bikes inaugural ride we went here.

The ‘Horse Monument’ at Farley Mount, Winchester

The Country Park is named after the famous monument to a horse, named “Beware Chalk Pit”, which carried its owner to a racing victory in 1734, a year after having fallen into a chalk pit whilst out fox-hunting
    not particularly remote but very nice and part of our loop today.

outside

inside

slugwash
    Free Member

Don’t know what this wayside cross (near Totnes, South Devon) is a monument to but it was on my ride home today so it’ll do….

Bunnyhop

rOckeTDoG – you appear to have ‘mucoff’ in your water bottle 😯

rOcKeTdOg

it’s like MTB irn bru

midlifecrashes

A couple of days ago, as dad’s taxi duties often preclude weekend rides. Old market cross overlooking the cradle of civilisation, or Dearne Valley as it is more commonly known.

and close by, a great spot for stripping off and cooling down on a summer ride. Mediaeval plunge pool, with steps and everything! Phone pics.

rOcKeTdOg

you need a big key to fit that

pixelmix
    Free Member

National Monument (Edinburgh) by pixelmix, on Flickr

Camera phone snap of Edinburgh’s National Monument, which was built as a memorial to those who died in the Napoleonic Wars. Taken this morning when I nipped out to check some urban singletrack ideas for night rides. I probably wouldn’t have gone out were it not for this “challenge”. I think I get points for size, but lose points for the fact that it isn’t exactly remote.

And here is what it looks like when not covered in tourists and without a bike in the way:-

Edinburgh’s Folly by pixelmix, on Flickr

shadthebad
    Free Member

Oliver Cromwell in Wythenshaw Park.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Wow. This is an awesome thread. Not sure there’s any monuments on today’s road ride…oooh hold on……

_tom_
    Free Member

Does a war memorial count as a monument? Don’t think we have anything else round here that isn’t in a town. Had to do a lot of post-processing to make this look passable thanks to our shitty weather 😆

Kit
    Free Member

Didn’t realise that the bike needed to be in the photo, but unlikely I’d have got it in anyway – I think I get prize for tallest monument 🙂

Scott Monument, Edinburgh

Scott Monument by Ginger F0x, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Weekend photo challenge 22nd/23rd January 2011’ is closed to new replies.